Sony 2400es annoyances...can you help?

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
hey guys

I've just got the new Sony STR DA 2400es after a long wait for its release (no idea if mine has the shy hd bug-fix but dont have skyhd yet) and it's not doing all it said on the tin. I'd really appreciate some ideas on this one...

My set-up:

PS3

Infocus IN82

Pioneer Laserdisc player

Kef 3005se Speakers

Sony STR DA2400es

Understanding Missus

I've got a PS3 connected via HDMI to the BDin HDMI input of the receiver. A 15metre HDMI out to my projector (the only cable I have long enough to span the room)...all as per the diagrams etc in the manual. having struggled to actually see the PS3 picture for ages, I changed ps3 output settings I can watch and hear discs thru the ps3 with only an HDMI link from PS3 to Receiver...but the projector (Infocus IN82) takes AGES to set up the image and display it.

BUT:

spent all day with it and:

A) I can't see the GUI. saw it once, not sure how or why it suddenly worked..auto calibrated...and never again. Cant access it at all now. replaced a cheap HDMI cable, but the little HDMI indicator on the front still flashes intermittently sometimes making me wonder if it's a faulty connector issue? thing is tho its displaying the blu rays and audio now with no issues so im not sure it can be...but the GUI just wont come up having pressed all the appropriate buttons on both remotes. Ideas? is there a setting I have wrong?

B) I wanna watch Laserdiscs...have got the LD player connected to the Composite video 1 input and have switched Video 1 to composite mode in the menus (it clicks over and over until that setting is changed correctly so I'm guessing that at least is correct), also changed resolution to 1080p for upscaling (tried all the settings on that front actuallyI think), but it still wont display video. I can hear the stereo signal from the LDs through the speakers and listen to the films, but the video won't display. according to the table on p32 of the manual it should take a composite image via Video1 input (also tried with composite dvd, sat and bd inputs), upscale it and send it on through via the HDMI output (the only 15 metre lead I have as I mentioned), but It's not having it! I don't wanna have to run ANOTHER cable up through the cupboard, through the loft and down through the ceiling into the projector when I've already spent over £100 on an award winning 15m HDMI cable specifically to deal with ALL the upscaled video...and the LD player ONLY HAS composite out video (Red White and Yellow or Scart), so there's no other option coming out the back of that either.

Do any of you guys have a clue where I'm going wrong? Do i need to switch upscaling off of the PS3 (should that effect the LD signal?) I'm happy to reset the receiver to factory settngs to start again...but could do with some pointers.

I also wanna connect the Wii and another DVD player for region1 disc playback (unless anyone knows how I can play R1 discs in my UK PS3???), but with the basics on the blink I thought it prudent to sort this before complicating things any further...

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks if you've read up to here all the same!

A

Anonymous

Its late. Am watching The Big Hit on Sky Action HD
emotion-1.gif

Dont have an AV amp/receiver at all yet

But I do think I read that the GUI will not work 'over' hdmi video. Try a component cable and you should be able to see it over the hdmi source.

Boo

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have the facility to run a 15metre component cable to the projector to tackle this, which is why I was hoping for an alternate solution....unless you mean something else?

I WAS able to see the GUI via the HDMI, but only the one time...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Ideas anone? Please

A

Anonymous

I am far from an expert but I have the 2400 and a PS3 connected in the following way: PS3 HDMI out to 2400 BD HDMI in and 2400 HDMI out to TV. I can say:

1 - the GUI should come up when you press the GUI button

2 - the PS3 won't play region 1 DVDs (or 90% of them) so you will need to connect a multi region DVD player

Obviously the PS3 has various menus which control how the pic and sound are output and these need to be set to HDMI and LPCM (rather than bitstream). I think you probably did that already.

Not having a projector or laser disc player I'm not really sure I can add anything more?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I have an STRDA3300ES, and I have to press [Shift] + [Menu] on the remote to bring up the GUI menu on the screen.

I have to say the manual is worse than useless, but I did figure out that there are certain combinations of source/HDMI/video and audio input that it will let you do, and some that it won't. What you might need to do is to assign the video/audio input(s) that you've got your LD player connected to, to the source that you are selecting for it - for that you will certainly need the GUI menu.

With the PS3 you say that you have it connected to the BD input - on mine i'm using my DVD player on the DVD/BD input and it let me assign the video from HDMI 1 to it, but not the audio, so i have a separate coax cable going to one of the coax inputs for the audio, which i have then also assigned to the DVD/BD input. If your receiver is anything like mine (which I'm guessing it probably mostly is) you might be better off giving up on selecting BD as the source and just selecting the HDMI input that your PS3 is connected to, directly as the source, which you should be able to do, and should give you both video and audio without any problems.

Nothing that you have done on your PS3 for video settings could possibly affect what your amp is doing to the LD video.

Hope that helps. I am very happy with my amp, as I'm sure you will be with yours eventually but it did take a bit of invention to get it to do what I want!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
max222:
I am far from an expert but I have the 2400 and a PS3 connected in the following way: PS3 HDMI out to 2400 BD HDMI in and 2400 HDMI out to TV. I can say:

1 - the GUI should come up when you press the GUI button

2 - the PS3 won't play region 1 DVDs (or 90% of them) so you will need to connect a multi region DVD player

Obviously the PS3 has various menus which control how the pic and sound are output and these need to be set to HDMI and LPCM (rather than bitstream). I think you probably did that already.

Not having a projector or laser disc player I'm not really sure I can add anything more?

I have the 3400 and I press the GUI (like it says in the manual) quickly and you see GUI ON and GUI off flash on the LED on the receiver. Once you get it to on, press MENU.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone managed to get the 2400 remote to control the PS3 yet ? I couldn't seem to find a correct code in the manual ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks - I should have realised that really. Silly really as a huge number of Sony Amps and PS3s will be coupled together. Another reason for a stand alone player one day perhaps.

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I've played around with it for long enough now to realise there must be a fault with the HDMI connectors on the Receiver because I can't see a picture from a blu-ray, dvd or laserdisc OR the GUI (obviously I can see menus it on the receiver LED when pressing menu after 'GUI OFF', but never now on screen of my projector) other than very intermittently whichever HDMI port I plug in to of the bunch on the back

also the blue light that comes on when multichannel audio is detected flashes on and off so i think the ports are faulty. something's very wrong anyway.

...so it's going back to Play.com...

what a waste of 6 hours...and I have to wait for it to be tested by Play before I get a replacement or refund...

hope you guys have more luck with your kit

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lordguffington:
I've played around with it for long enough now to realise there must be a fault with the HDMI connectors on the Receiver because I can't see a picture from a blu-ray, dvd or laserdisc OR the GUI (obviously I can see menus it on the receiver LED when pressing menu after 'GUI OFF', but never now on screen of my projector) other than very intermittently whichever HDMI port I plug in to of the bunch on the back

also the blue light that comes on when multichannel audio is detected flashes on and off so i think the ports are faulty. something's very wrong anyway.

...so it's going back to Play.com...

what a waste of 6 hours...and I have to wait for it to be tested by Play before I get a replacement or refund...

hope you guys have more luck with your kit

I don't think it matters which brand you buy, there are always isolated cases. I'm on my second Sony AV receiver and they have both been problem free. I know someone who had an issue with their Denon and lots on here have mentioned Onks going wrong. They produce so many, it's just bad luck if yours has a fault.

daveh75

sorry if this is obvious or you've already tried. but have you tried the the cable going from the receiver to your pj directly from your blu-ray to pj so bypassing receiver altogether, you never no could be just a faulty/problem cable

edit- sorry just noticed that your able to get pictures and sound via blu-ray, just not the gui, so ignore me

A

Anonymous

lordguffington:

Unfortunately I don't have the facility to run a 15metre component cable to the projector to tackle this, which is why I was hoping for an alternate solution....unless you mean something else?

I WAS able to see the GUI via the HDMI, but only the one time...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Ideas anone? Please

Thats what I meant lordguffington. I just thought you may be trying to do both together over HDMI. You stated that you got the GUI only briefly, then not at all.

Boo

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi, hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I got a 2400es and hooked it up with my KEF2005.3's yesterday. I've got a couple of questions:

1. I've got Sky HD hooked up via HDMI / Optical, but when I watch anything it says Linear PCM on the receiver. Is this correct? I expected to see dolby digital, say for like movies / sports

2. I've hooked up my Wii via component 2, with the red/white audio in the dvd audio inputs. I've assigned video 2 to this, but there's no sound. I've got the video no problem, but there's no option in the assign to select the specfic analog input. It's just analog, what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy Grange:Hi, hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I got a 2400es and hooked it up with my KEF2005.3's yesterday. I've got a couple of questions:

1. I've got Sky HD hooked up via HDMI / Optical, but when I watch anything it says Linear PCM on the receiver. Is this correct? I expected to see dolby digital, say for like movies / sports

2. I've hooked up my Wii via component 2, with the red/white audio in the dvd audio inputs. I've assigned video 2 to this, but there's no sound. I've got the video no problem, but there's no option in the assign to select the specfic analog input. It's just analog, what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Answer to question one, if there is no Dolby Digital audio to a programme, you will see Linea PCM, if you are watching a film on Sky that does have DD and it doesn't show on the LCD, you have some changing to do. This will relate to your second question also. When you have it set up, it will be easy to follow. In menu you need to go to the assign inputs part. If you scroll down, you get to the part where you have named inputs. If you click on SAT, you can give it an hdmi number (1 to 4) and then an audio input. So for me, my Sky box is hdmi 1 and I use coaxial. Therefore I put this info in and when I press SAT on the remote, everything works. You can do the same for the Wii connection and use another named input (like DVD). Hope this helps.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Gerrard, I'd literally just figured out the answer to question 1 myself when I just switched over to The Godfather on Sky Movies HD!

As for question two, this is slightly strange. I googled my issue and found an answer; for some reason component 2 can't pick up an analog audio source, not matter where you plug the RCA's in. What I've done is switch component 1 and 2 over (originally had my 360 in 1), and now I can pick up the analog sound. Mario Galaxy in Pro Logic II is awesome! I'm surprised the receiver makes a pretty good stab of upscaling the Wii picture too, looks noticeably clearer and defined.

Thanks for the tips :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy Grange:Cheers Gerrard, I'd literally just figured out the answer to question 1 myself when I just switched over to The Godfather on Sky Movies HD!

As for question two, this is slightly strange. I googled my issue and found an answer; for some reason component 2 can't pick up an analog audio source, not matter where you plug the RCA's in. What I've done is switch component 1 and 2 over (originally had my 360 in 1), and now I can pick up the analog sound. Mario Galaxy in Pro Logic II is awesome! I'm surprised the receiver makes a pretty good stab of upscaling the Wii picture too, looks noticeably clearer and defined.

Thanks for the tips :)

No problem. I love my amp too. Bluray sound is ridiculously good!

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I've got another question!

I've plugged in my dvd recorder (Sony RDR-GX350) via the BD input, as this one specifically has 'audio in' on the HDMI input. However when I change to the BD channel, I don't see or hear anything.

Any ideas?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy Grange:Sorry, I've got another question!

I've plugged in my dvd recorder (Sony RDR-GX350) via the BD input, as this one specifically has 'audio in' on the HDMI input. However when I change to the BD channel, I don't see or hear anything.

Any ideas?

Were you using hdmi to connect the dvd recorder before? If not, you will have to tell the recorder that it's connected by hdmi in the settings. Other than that, I can't see what's wrong.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm new to posting (and to AV), so apologies if this has gone in the wrong place!

I've just received my 2400ES, but having a problem with settings. It's connected to a DVD recorder by HDMI only. When I set it to AFD Auto, it displays the blue light and 'Dolby Digital 3/2.1' but the sound is totally front loaded to the front 3 speakers - there's very little from the rears (you have to put your ear right up to them to hear if they're actually working at all, even at v. high volumes) - and consequently little/no surround effect. When I use one of the 'Movie' settings eg CSTEX B, the sound is all-enveloping and truly amazing. However, I'm a bit confused as to why this is the case - is my receiver working as it should?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
shoumo:
Hi there,

I'm new to posting (and to AV), so apologies if this has gone in the wrong place!

I've just received my 2400ES, but having a problem with settings. It's connected to a DVD recorder by HDMI only. When I set it to AFD Auto, it displays the blue light and 'Dolby Digital 3/2.1' but the sound is totally front loaded to the front 3 speakers - there's very little from the rears (you have to put your ear right up to them to hear if they're actually working at all, even at v. high volumes) - and consequently little/no surround effect. When I use one of the 'Movie' settings eg CSTEX B, the sound is all-enveloping and truly amazing. However, I'm a bit confused as to why this is the case - is my receiver working as it should?

Have you calibrated it properly? When you use the surround settings, I would imagine that the sound is distributed evenly to all speakers. When you have it set as DD, the rear speakers and sub will only kick in if there is surround sound. Have you got your speakers connected to the surround back left and right, or surround left and right inputs on the 2400es? It should be surround left and right.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:shoumo:

Hi there,

Have you calibrated it properly? When you use the surround settings, I would imagine that the sound is distributed evenly to all speakers. When you have it set as DD, the rear speakers and sub will only kick in if there is surround sound. Have you got your speakers connected to the surround back left and right, or surround left and right inputs on the 2400es? It should be surround left and right.

Yes, the auto set up seemed to run fine. Using the CSTEX 'movie' settings, the sound is definitely not evenly distributed - sounds come from different directions. I've used the correct surround speaker posts (did it wrong first time I set it up).

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Might be worth manually measuring the distance from all the speakers to your seating position, and manually adding them into the receiver. I've yet to do this, but is definitely on my list in the next week or so. I guess you can look at the auto-calibration as a good starter for ten.

While I'm here, hoping Gerrard can help me out (again). I've got my dvd connected vis the BD HDMI, picture is now working and I've re-run the setup. For some reason I can't get DD showing up on the receiver though. I've tried seting the dvd player to output both DD and DD > LPCM, and on both settings I just get LPCM on the receiver with the front L+R speakers only kicking in. I've been trying this with the Fellowship of the Ring, which has a DD 5.1 soundtrack on.

Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts