admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

Anyone here familier with Sonos kit? I'm interested in the Sonos S5 for my ipod touch but I don't have any other Sonos kit. Is it true that at least one piece of Sonos kit MUST be connected by ethernet to your router? I'm not planning on using it in the same room as my router. I have one of those ethernet extender kits that converts your mains supply into an ethernet port. Would that suffice?

Cheers

Michael

scene

Hi, I have three S5s, a ZP90 and a ZoneBridge - so fairly familiar. Yes, one piece of kit needs to be hardwire connected to your router. A pair of Homeplugs would suffice - I assume that's what you're referring to when you say "one of those ethernet extender kits ..." Only thing to be careful of is the actual speed you get over your mains - are these the latest generation of Homeplugs, or first gen, which were a bit slow?

If you dig into the Sonos documentation, they do admit you can hardwire your Sonos directly to your PC / Laptop - it's covered on the Sonos forums - as long as the PC does DHCP. I believe the same may be possible with a NAS, if and only if the NAS is running a DHCP service (which most don't).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply!

Think I might take the plunge with the S5!

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Could also get a Zonebridge and plug that into the router, might be a bit neater than homeplugs and allows the S5 to be wireless. Has a cost implication of course, I think they're about 70 quid from memory.

scene

the_lhc:Could also get a Zonebridge and plug that into the router, might be a bit neater than homeplugs and allows the S5 to be wireless. Has a cost implication of course, I think they're about 70 quid from memory.
All very true
emotion-21.gif

I just assumed that the OP was trying to avoid the extra cost of Zonebridge, having already go the homeplugs...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
A sonebridge is the best way to do it. The Homeplugs are better for packets of data rather than a stream. There is a new bundle available that puts the S5 with a ZBR100.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:A sonebridge is the best way to do it. The Homeplugs are better for packets of data rather than a stream.

Erm...

There is a new bundle available that puts the S5 with a ZBR100.

Interesting, there doesn't seem to be any bundles at all on the UK Sonos page now?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's nothing like as good a deal as the BU250 though, in terms of money saved. I don't like that development (dropping the BU250 I mean, the S5-BR100 bundle is a good idea).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts