Sonos Play:1 first impressions

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Albeit very brief! Picked one of these up yesterday afternoon but with yet another accident on the M5 I didn't get round to setting it up until well after 9pm, so didn't have that long to play with it and no opportunity to really turn it up as it's in the only room in the house that adjoins next door.

So, as ever, setup was a breeze, I added the free bridge first (I need it to bridge the gaps and get through the thick stone walls in our house), no issues, then added the Play:1, which was just as straightforward as previous installations and set to playing a handful of tracks, I only played with it for 15 minutes as it was getting late.

I've installed it in the small back room my pool table is in, maybe 12'x9', bare stone floor, no soft furnishings and sitting on a glass and steel rack, so I know it's not the ideal environment for it to sound it's best.

Obviously it's also mono, I've previously been using a pair of Creative Gigaworks T-20s lying on their sides on top of the rack, no real separation between them but the tweeters are probably 18 inches apart but I was surprised how much of a difference it makes going to mono only.

Tracks sound reasonable, I thought the treble sounded a little closed in, so I went into the EQ, turned off loudness and whacked the treble up to maximum which helped significantly, bass is surprisingly strong, holding your hand about 6 inches from unit you can feel the air moving, it does seem to create noticable nodes though, as I wandered around the table I could distinctly hear the bass dropping out and then building up again as I continued moving, which I've never noticed in that room before. As it was late I couldn't really turn it up to see how it handled the bass at higher volumes, but I was surprised how high I had to turn it up to get to a reasonable volume for the room, around 75% for a volume that I wouldn't consider to be loud.

I'll have another play tonight hopefully, at the moment I'm not entirely convinced I'll be happy with just one, I think the restriction of mono is going to annoy me. I'll be interested to see how a stereo pair sounds in that room though, maybe next payday...

Mattan

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the first impressions. Do you have other Sonos units? How does the Play:1 compare?

Would be interesting to know how a stereo pair of Play:1s compared to a single Play:5 as the costs would be the same (anyone with spare cash out there care to try??)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Mattan said:
Thanks for the first impressions. Do you have other Sonos units? How does the Play:1 compare?

I don't have any other Play units to compare it to, I have the Connect and Connect:Amp, the functionality is the same, doesn't really make much sense to compare the sound quality really.

Would be interesting to know how a stereo pair of Play:1s compared to a single Play:5 as the costs would be the same (anyone with spare cash out there care to try??)

Depends what you're after, obviously the stereo separation on the Play:1s will be much better, not sure how the bass levels compare though.

Mattan

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Depends what you're after, obviously the stereo separation on the Play:1s will be much better, not sure how the bass levels compare though.

It would be good to know in terms of clarity and volume how the two sets would compare - is a stereo pair greater than the some of it's parts or would a single Play:5 still provide better sound quality due to more amps/drivers. Sonos defines the volume of a Play:1 as 'loud', the Play:5 as 'crazy loud', but wondering what 2 x Play:1 would be?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased a Play:1 today for use in my kitchen (plus free bridge). I have a small office/computer room off our kitchen so when I wanted music in the kitchen (other than FM radio) I would turn up the computer speakers which was ok but not ideal.

This was so easy to set up. I got the black version which matches the decor in the kitchen.

The sound is certainly much better than what I had previously, it's perfect for what I wanted, my wife likes it - especially as it is easy to use. So all in all - first impresions are excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts