• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Sonos connect and leaving main amp on? Bit of a flaw?

Jake12988

New member
Mar 25, 2012
15
0
0
evening everyone,

so I picked up the sonos connect a few days ago, we have a few play ones round the house and the wife wanted to be able to play her music/radio through my hifi via the sonos app.

anyway, it’s a good bit of kit and through my marantz pm6006 everything sounds miles better than the play ones. (Obviously)

but the problem is, id need to keep the marantz permanently on in order for us to just steam away at the leisure!

does anyone know if there’s any way for the sonos connect to turn the amp on when it’s told to play a song? I’m not really sure what the best thing to do is.. I mean, it can’t good to leave the marantz on all the time can it?

Its a shame hifi amps and sonos can’t collaborate and sort this feature out. (That’s wishful thinking!)

any ideas?
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
740
301
5,270
The only way is to leave it on all the time. Potentially dangerous if someone accidentally turned the volume up all the way on the amp.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
You could set auto stand by mode to off on the marantz so it stays on which means you leave it on, as with the sonos connect which doesn't have an on or off switch. To get around this you could either buy a remote control plug 6 gang bar plug and then use the remote to turn everything on, but not sure if then turning everything off (often you can just press the individual plugs on or off or the whole lot on or off via remote, on most remote gang bars ) will mean you then have to then manually turn the marantz on when you select power back via the remote control plug. I suspect you will. Maybe not? If not then problem solved using remote control plug. Just press on with input pre selected, then select music via sonos.

The marantz doesn't have a music sense function I don't think or a trigger connector input, nor does the sonos have such a trigger out. So maybe the only way is to use the remote or on button to turn the marantz on and leave sonos on. When I had a sonos connect I always liked to turn it off with the remote control plug as never like leaving stuff on.
 

grimharry

New member
Aug 2, 2015
11
0
0
Jake12988 said:
evening everyone,

so I picked up the sonos connect a few days ago, we have a few play ones round the house and the wife wanted to be able to play her music/radio through my hifi via the sonos app.

anyway, it’s a good bit of kit and through my marantz pm6006 everything sounds miles better than the play ones. (Obviously)

but the problem is, id need to keep the marantz permanently on in order for us to just steam away at the leisure!

does anyone know if there’s any way for the sonos connect to turn the amp on when it’s told to play a song? I’m not really sure what the best thing to do is.. I mean, it can’t good to leave the marantz on all the time can it?

Its a shame hifi amps and sonos can’t collaborate and sort this feature out. (That’s wishful thinking!)

any ideas?
Stupid question but why can’t your wife turn your amp on and off?
 

Jake12988

New member
Mar 25, 2012
15
0
0
grimharry said:
Jake12988 said:
evening everyone,

so I picked up the sonos connect a few days ago, we have a few play ones round the house and the wife wanted to be able to play her music/radio through my hifi via the sonos app.

anyway, it’s a good bit of kit and through my marantz pm6006 everything sounds miles better than the play ones. (Obviously)

but the problem is, id need to keep the marantz permanently on in order for us to just steam away at the leisure!

does anyone know if there’s any way for the sonos connect to turn the amp on when it’s told to play a song? I’m not really sure what the best thing to do is.. I mean, it can’t good to leave the marantz on all the time can it?

Its a shame hifi amps and sonos can’t collaborate and sort this feature out. (That’s wishful thinking!)

any ideas?
Stupid question but why can’t your wife turn your amp on and off?
its mainly because she has the radio set to come on each morning at 7am, we can’t do that now as the marantz is turned off...

also it sort of defeats the object of sonos being a wireless system at the touh of a phone. Eg, if we’re in the kitchen and fancy grouping the sonos in the kitchen with the living room hifi, we’ll have to go and turn the amp on first, which, kind of defeats the idea...

its not the end of the world, but would be nice to be able to use it like the rest of the sonos speakers
 

grimharry

New member
Aug 2, 2015
11
0
0
I have not got sonos and I am probably talking complete and utter twaddle but would it be possible to set an alarm on a smart phone app to turn the radio on through all speakers or is it not that advanced?
 

Jake12988

New member
Mar 25, 2012
15
0
0
I’ve sussed it!

bowsing timer plugs this morning i came across wireless plugs with apps.

hive active plug!

i can then set the plug to come on at certain times and turn off whenever needed.

ive tested the amp to see if it will turn back on after being switched off at the plug and it does,

happy days...
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Why not just buy another Sonus speaker for the main room for this kind of use. It will work the same as the others in you home which brings consistency and ease of use.

The Marantz system is then used for 'serious' listening.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Jake12988 said:
I’ve sussed it!

bowsing timer plugs this morning i came across wireless plugs with apps.

hive active plug!

i can then set the plug to come on at certain times and turn off whenever needed.

ive tested the amp to see if it will turn back on after being switched off at the plug and it does,

happy days...
sorted then . Glad my suggestion helped.

I did try and post in the indulgence thread but it's blocking me ATM for some reason.
 

Jake12988

New member
Mar 25, 2012
15
0
0
davedotco said:
Why not just buy another Sonus speaker for the main room for this kind of use. It will work the same as the others in you home which brings consistency and ease of use.

The Marantz system is then used for 'serious' listening.
because the wife hates speakers as it is, so leaving a play 1 in the lounge with my hifi is a big no no.

weve got play ones in all other rooms, I did suggest this but got told absolutely no way are we having hifi and sonos in one room!
 

Jake12988

New member
Mar 25, 2012
15
0
0
grimharry said:
I have not got sonos and I am probably talking complete and utter twaddle but would it be possible to set an alarm on a smart phone app to turn the radio on through all speakers or is it not that advanced?
thays exactly what we do, sonos comes on with the alarm function but only in the lounge, (we have normal alarms for waking up, but just like the background radio on in the lounge when eating breakfast etc) and since we now have the sonos connect running through my main amp, we needed a way of the main amp coming on wirelessly, which we’ve now sorted with the wireless plug...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS