Some home cinema advice please

GW93

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ladies/Gents,

This is my debut post. Recently my Loewe Xelos tv had a heart attack and went on the bung. After reading some reviews I bought a Panasonic TX-L37S10B. I was forced into making a quick decision as it was my 4 year olds' birthday party the following day. A wee bit of trying different settings over a week-end and I'm happy with it.

My other kit was/is TEAC's Legacy AGL800 receiver and DVL800 dvd player combo with Kef 1005 5.1 speakers (the first version). All now about 5-6 years old. The room size is approx 12'x14'.

The dvd player has now chucked it as well with the temporary fix being dvd's through a PS2 - oh dear, fairly hellish I know.

So, I'm going to get the cheque-book out and buy a new receiver, blue ray player and upgrade my Sky to Sky-hd. However, much as i would like to change the speakers as well, I'm going to have to stick with the Kef's until next year.

I've been reading a fair bit on here and in the last couple of mags, trying to get an idea of what would be best to go for with a budget of around £600 - £800. One minute I fancy the Sony 2400 receiver and Sony 360 Blue-Ray, then I think maybe better to get the Denon 1910 and Pioneer 320. I'm not limiting it to those but, they seem to be the popular machines on here within my budget.

Could any of you guys oblige and help me with some advice on what to go for, bearing in mind I'm going to have the Kefs until next year? Also, will I hear/see a genuine improvement over my old kit even though I have to keep the old speakers meantime?

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm not going to comment on the kit as you've listed some high quality components there and I think it really remains for you to go and have a look and see which you prefer.

On the question of whether you'll see an improvement even with the KEFs, I'm pretty sure you will, especially when it comes to watching your first Blu-Ray with HD audio. The best bit though will be when you upgrade your speaker system next year to take full advantage of your amp - the anticipation!

GW93

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks greatly appreciated. The speakers are a deffo for next year, just too close to xmas for me to take the full splurge even though I'm tempted.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Do you have an idea of what speaker package you will be upgrading to? Any idea on your budget ? That will give us a better idea of what amp to recommend.
The Denon will work better with higher priced/performance speakers than the Sony would for instance. Saying that though if you can afford it I think the extra money spent on the Denon would be worth it.

If you can hold on for a few more weeks the Awards issue of the mag will be out, theres a few new Blu-Ray players being released so you may have some better quality products for your money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts