Some connection advice please chaps.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
All is going well with my system at present and all the components seem to be gelling nicely together as time goes on. I'm now going to add sonos to the system via a connect with a play5 to cover the L shaped kitchen and dining room, a play3 in the main bedroom and a connect amp running a couple of Kef ceiling speakers in the main bathroom.

My main system is currently connected as follows: Marantz CD6004 connected to MF M1 DAC via digital coaxial, M1 DAC into Roksan Kandy K2 via RCA. Now I'm presuming that I have to wire the sonos connect to the DAC via an optical cable as this is the only input left on the Dac that the Sonos connect can feed ? But I'm unsure as to how to connect the Dac to the amp to play the sonos as the RCA output is going into the CD line on the amp leaving me with only an XLR Balanced out on the Dac. Is this the one I have to use ?

Also any advice on decent cables for sensible money to connect all this.

Any advice appreciated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, do you wish to stream ripped files from a computer or hard drive/NAS, similarly do you wish to stream internet radio/Spotify?

Secondly, is the position where you are placing the first Connect close to your modem/router?

Is CD your primary source?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Connect the Sonos to the DAC by whatever means you have. Optical is fine. Suggestions of premium optical cables are likely to derail this thread completely. Arguably any competent optical cable is fine. If you have the opportunity to borrow a few from a dealer to listen for yourself, maybe you will find one you like or matches your decor or something.

Your DAC is already connected to your amp, so I don't see what the problem is. Does it bug you that you where you have the DAC connected to the amp is labelled CD even though you will be running more than the CD player through there? I can't really understand why you'd want to multiple connections from the DAC. Treat it as a single source. Or have I completely misunderstood this issue?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
Your DAC is already connected to your amp, so I don't see what the problem is. Does it bug you that you where you have the DAC connected to the amp is labelled CD even though you will be running more than the CD player through there? I can't really understand why you'd want to multiple connections from the DAC. Treat it as a single source. Or have I completely misunderstood this issue?

No, that's what he seems to be saying. Just leave the DAC connected as is and change the source on the DAC when switching from the other source to the Sonos.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Davedotco:

No files or ripped stuff, just spotify or internet radio for quite a while before I look at branching out into the complicated stuff. CD is at the moment the primary source for myself but I would expect that to change when the kids, at to certain extent, myself have the spotify option just as long as I can get decent quality sound from it. At the moment the router is in another room although changing that at some point in the future is an option, especially if hard wiring the connect to it increases SQ but for now i'm presuming it will have to link up via a sonos bridge ?

ID:

All becomes clear ! I was thinking I had to have a seperate cable to carry the streaming part to the amp :oops: Didn't realise the RCA's would do that as well. You've probably realised I'm new to all this! :) As for what optical cable, not fussed too much, any advice a decently made for sensible money cable really.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
Davedotco:

No files or ripped stuff, just spotify or internet radio for quite a while before I look at branching out into the complicated stuff. CD is at the moment the primary source for myself but I would expect that to change when the kids, at to certain extent, myself have the spotify option just as long as I can get decent quality sound from it. At the moment the router is in another room although changing that at some point in the future is an option, especially if hard wiring the connect to it increases SQ but for now i'm presuming it will have to link up via a sonos bridge ?

ID:

All becomes clear ! I was thinking I had to have a seperate cable to carry the streaming part to the amp :oops: Didn't realise the RCA's would do that as well. You've probably realised I'm new to all this! :) As for what optical cable, not fussed too much, any advice a decently made for sensible money cable really.

You seem to have most of it covered, but for me, the biggest advantage of any Sonos system is being able to control everything from each room, some thing that you can not easily do with a CD source, which would kind of defeat the object for me.

The Sonosnet network is very robust, no real SQ issues so once you connect the bridge the rest should be fine wireless.

If you connect the analogue outputs of the CD player to the local input on your Connect then you can have the CD playback in the other rooms too, no remote control of course but it will work.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Sonosnet network is very robust, no real SQ issues so once you connect the bridge the rest should be fine wireless.

Just to make that clear, there is no SQ difference AT ALL between hard-wiring the Connect or running it wirelessly from a Sonos Bridge. None.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
TubularTechnician said:
Davedotco:

ID:

You seem to have most of it covered, but for me, the biggest advantage of any Sonos system is being able to control everything from each room, some thing that you can not easily do with a CD source, which would kind of defeat the object for me.

If you connect the analogue outputs of the CD player to the local input on your Connect then you can have the CD playback in the other rooms too, no remote control of course but it will work.

now I'm getting confused. Hadn't really thought about streaming the CDP through the sonos units. I was just looking to stream the sonos into the amp via the M1 DAC, bypassing the CDP and controlling the lot from an ipad and/or phones so the kids have ease of use too as they don't bother with CDs. Like yourself, the beauty of the sonos system for me is being able to use each unit individualy so I hadn't factored in playing a CD through the sonos, just spotify or the kids itunes stuff.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
now I'm getting confused. Hadn't really thought about streaming the CDP through the sonos units. I was just looking to stream the sonos into the amp via the M1 DAC, bypassing the CDP and controlling the lot from an ipad and/or phones so the kids have ease of use too as they don't bother with CDs. Like yourself, the beauty of the sonos system for me is being able to use each unit individualy so I hadn't factored in playing a CD through the sonos, just spotify or the kids itunes stuff.

You don't HAVE to do that, it's just an option should you feel like it.

Of course what you SHOULD be doing is ripping all your CDs to a NAS drive so the Sonos can play everything you have directly, without worrying about the CD player. You wouldn't actually need a CD player after that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
TubularTechnician said:

You don't HAVE to do that, it's just an option should you feel like it.

Of course what you SHOULD be doing is ripping all your CDs to a NAS drive so the Sonos can play everything you have directly, without worrying about the CD player. You wouldn't actually need a CD player after that.

Absolutely, everything available in every room, controlled from an iThing.

If you want to keep the ripping and storing as simple as possible, a one piece Vortexbox solution Here is great, set it up to rip to FLAC for your main system and (simultaneously) to MP3 for mobile use.

Setting up the CD player direct to the dac and via the sonos connect might make for an interesting comparative dem, for amusement purposes only of course...... :)

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I like the look of that and its got me thinking. When I first started reading up on setting up a system I really liked the look of the M1 CLic but thought it would probably be too technical for me and the kids and would be a lot of money for what may become a white elephant in the house. Now, by reading this forum, I'm not so sure that we wouldn't be able to handle this ripping and FLAC/WAV lark. I'm sure the sonos will be more than good enough for our ears though. At least for now while I'm still learning.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
Thanks for the link, I like the look of that and its got me thinking. When I first started reading up on setting up a system I really liked the look of the M1 CLic but thought it would probably be too technical for me and the kids and would be a lot of money for what may become a white elephant in the house. Now, by reading this forum, I'm not so sure that we wouldn't be able to handle this ripping and FLAC/WAV lark. I'm sure the sonos will be more than good enough for our ears though. At least for now while I'm still learning.

The Vortexbox Appliance is not instead of the Sonos but an addition to your Sonos system. It is, in effect a NAS drive that is used to store all your ripped files, it has software built in that is instantly recognised by your Sonus system so your music simply appears. It also has good software to rip the CDs for you, with if you wish, simultaneous production to FLAC and MP3. It has a built in mech to read your disks and is a terrific integrated ripping and storage system for the non technical.

More tech savvy users may simply intall Vortexbox software on a PC and customise the systen to their specific needs, the appliance is a simple one box solution for us 'ordinary folk'

It does everything, reads the disc, rips to FLAC, or whatever else you choose, optionally produces a sparate MP3 library for your iThings and just sits on you network ready to be accessed by any of your Sonos components and it has USB so can back up your library to a cheap USB drive.

Very tidy.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
aha ! very tidy indeed. So no need for an expensive M1 CLic thingy as the vortexbox can be accessed by the sonos. This sounds good.

Thanks to all for the help so far, this forum has been a valuable source for me. I hope that in the near furure I'll have learned enough to be able to give something back. :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
aha ! very tidy indeed. So no need for an expensive M1 CLic thingy as the vortexbox can be accessed by the sonos. This sounds good.

Thanks to all for the help so far, this forum has been a valuable source for me. I hope that in the near furure I'll have learned enough to be able to give something back. :cheers:

Very easy to use too, once set up using keyboard and screen, (these can be removed once this is done).

Pop in a CD, it will rip it, in your desired format, and add it to your library, fully tagged, cover art the works. Plenty of other options but the basics are simple, you can just plug it in and use the default settings if you want.

The one I linked to at around £400 sounds a bit pricey but it is a complete solution, 2GB hard drive, onboard processor with Sonos software pre-installed, good ripping software, dedicated optical drive so you don't wear out the one in your laptop, ready to go 'out of the box'.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
It looks a great option. Seems simple enough. Going to let the wife settle first before I add any more bits of equipment yet though :shhh:

Sysem is opening up nicely now. Bit of brightness to tame but probobly not played it for more than 20 hours tops so nowhere near run in. Room contains lots of wood furniture and floor, leather and glass, + high ceilings so accoustics are not great. Rugs, cushions and curtains are the next purchase which will delight the wife !

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
It looks a great option. Seems simple enough. Going to let the wife settle first before I add any more bits of equipment yet though :shhh:

Sysem is opening up nicely now. Bit of brightness to tame but probobly not played it for more than 20 hours tops so nowhere near run in. Room contains lots of wood furniture and floor, leather and glass, + high ceilings so accoustics are not great. Rugs, cushions and curtains are the next purchase which will delight the wife !

And probably help the sound quality a lot too...... :grin:

Without being at all obvious, sit in your normal listening position and think mirrors. Ie look to the sidewalls and particularly the floor, imagine they are mirrors and wherever you would expect to see a reflexion of the speakers try and put some soft furnishing in those areas.

If there is space behind the listening position try putting stuff there too. I have a room that is very hard, wooden ploor, hard walls minimal soft furnishings etc and ended up with the speakers in slightly odd positions, not a great soundstage but a much more even response.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I suppose I should ask for conformation as to what 'brightness' in audio terms means and weather I've interpreted it correctly.

I'm presuming it is high pitched voices or notes that sound with a piercing edge that go right through you, or in the case of the Bee Gee's, that can actually make you wince ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
I suppose I should ask for conformation as to what 'brightness' in audio terms means and weather I've interpreted it correctly.

I'm presuming it is high pitched voices or notes that sound with a piercing edge that go right through you, or in the case of the Bee Gee's, that can actually make you wince ?

IMO. Brightness is very subjective, and can easily be confused with harshness.....one person's bright is another's neutral.

It can be exaggerated or ameliorated by certain kit.....as well as exacerbated by poor room acoustics.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Now harshness is a much better description. Thats exactly what I'm hearing. At 9 o'clock on the dial you'd have to be listening for it, but it 10 o'clock its unmissable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TubularTechnician said:
Now harshness is a much better description. Thats exactly what I'm hearing. At 9 o'clock on the dial you'd have to be listening for it, but it 10 o'clock its unmissable.

IMO. That is often caused by unfavorable (reflective) room acoustics.

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
2m of fabric ordered today + 3 no 18'' x 18'' foam inserts for my Mother to make some cushions for the large leather sofa that is the listening seat, rug hunt in John Lewis on Saturday to soften the oak floor and Wooden Shutter appointment cancelled with a view to a roller blind. I'm hoping this will help. But system not had nowhere near enough airtime to really judge it yet. If I'm still hearing the same in a months time I may get concerned.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Your LS50s are revealing but not harsh, so if your room mods don't work, you are looking at a different amp like Sugden, Electrocompaniet, Audio Analogue or Unison Research Unico.

TRENDING THREADS