Some buying advice please!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

First post on the forum, and requesting some buying advice!

Basically we are moving into a new home - and have only had a Sony HX703 & Sony BDPS370 blu-ray player. I am looking to get a speaker set up to go with the TV. Ideally would like 5.1 surround which is wireless.

Firstly - can you get many wireless 5.1 speaker systems, and secondly what is the set-up like as wireless. Wired could be an option if wireless really isn't good...! Again suggestions would be very much appreciated.

The plan then is to use this set-up to link to a Sonos multi-room set up, with the 5.1 surround system to act as the "main lounge hifi" then have further Players in other rooms (kitchen & bedroom probably...)

I'm fairly sure what I need for the set up (i.e. the Sonos bits) - but just struggling to identify speaker or home-cinema system would be good for the living room.

Many Thanks

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

I had a friend in the same situation as you- he wanted wireless home cinema. This is an option however does limit your options, empty your wallet more and does not give you as good sq as a wired option. The other thing to take into account is that the wireless speakers usually the rears will still need a power source, must be next to a wall plug.

If you have a google about you will find the wireless all in ones. Kef do a range of wireless eggs....

None of these will beat a dedicated seperates system. It just depends on the sacrifice in sq you are prepared to take.

You never mentioned your budget, music taste and what mix of movies to music you will use it for....

John.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Many Thanks for the reply - and apologies for the very slow response, I don't have internet at home currently.

As you have said, wireless is not the ideal. So I will go for a wired set of speakers.

I see several options:

1) a home cinema surround system

2) separate speakers + then buying an amplifier

3) ?buying a hifi and then using this??

Now on the What HiFi website there is a section for "Speaker Packages" and "Style Speakers" - from looking at the reviews is the main difference just in what the speakers are like?

Since I have a blu-ray player already, I am inclined to avoid that the home cinema option (1). Am I correct in saying that these products tend to have speakers + sub + amplifier together (+player)?

From researching I have seen some speakers ~£1000 B&W MT-25 + then a cheapish amplifier (several for between 300-500 - Sony STR-DH810 or Onkyo TX-SR608 ). I have little to no experience of the difference in amplifier..... This would then connect to the Sonos ZP90

I could either buy the separate amplifier OR just the speakers and then connect this to the Sonos ZP120 but I think this only has input for two speakers.

As alluded to above, the main use of the system will probably be to play music & watch films. Music taste is varied but will tend to be more classical / jazz / chillout / some "chart stuff". Film wise - I love action / fantasy / sci-fi.

For this use what are your thoughts on using a hifi system - then connecting this to the TV and also connecting to the Sonos?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but its a bit of a minefield to figure out what route to take...!

Budget probably around ~£1500

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts