Software download for Sony BDP-S350

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Just switched on my player and received notification of this download (it's hooked up to the web).  Apparently this will update the firmware to version 015 and improve BD Live performance.

A

Anonymous

thanks for telling me, just downloading my update now on my 350 cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Can I plug a network cable straight into a laptop from the 350?...............cheers

A

Anonymous

Why would you want to do that?

I'm surprised myself at how dead easy is actually is to update the firmware with the box connected to the telly (as normal). Simply run a cable from the S350 to the back of your router, then go through the setup menu as per the user manual. I expected to have to enter a Mac address or something. Not at all. It is not quick to update though (I have an "up to" 20MB connection).

A

Anonymous

Could i just add a word of caution to people updating firmware.
Firmware is best updated when the equipment is connected to a ups (uninteruptable power supply) as any power outage,brown out or glitch could possibly turn your nice shiny blu ray player or whatever into a nice shiny big paperweight.
Not wanting to scare anyone but it does happen from time to time and sending back this equipment may not be an option if the company knows what has happend.
Also dont be in a huge rush to update firmware if your player is working ok.Hasty updates have also been known to break certain things and it`s always best i find to let others test firmware out for a while before i update mine ; )
I say this as a person with 27 years experience with computers, programming, using and building pc`s for myself and others.I know of many many dead motherboards and dvd drives due to a bad flash.Once dead they stay that way!

A

Anonymous

Geesus:Could i just add a word of caution to people updating firmware.
Firmware is best updated when the equipment is connected to a ups (uninteruptable power supply) as any power outage,brown out or glitch could possibly turn your nice shiny blu ray player or whatever into a nice shiny big paperweight.
Not wanting to scare anyone but it does happen from time to time and sending back this equipment may not be an option if the company knows what has happend.
Also dont be in a huge rush to update firmware if your player is working ok.Hasty updates have also been known to break certain things and it`s always best i find to let others test firmware out for a while before i update mine ; )
I say this as a person with 27 years experience with computers, programming, using and building pc`s for myself and others.I know of many many dead motherboards and dvd drives due to a bad flash.Once dead they stay that way!

Thanks for the tip!

(says the man who updated his laptop BIOS y'day and his BDP today)

A

Anonymous

I updated my machine yesterday. Without any problems. A couple of discs which would not connect to BD-Live now do.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Geesus:Could i just add a word of caution to people updating firmware. Firmware is best updated when the equipment is connected to a ups (uninteruptable power supply) as any power outage,brown out or glitch could possibly turn your nice shiny blu ray player or whatever into a nice shiny big paperweight.

Fair enough in a company's server room, but very few people have a UPS at home. And there's no justification for buying one just to update the firmware of your Blu-Ray player - how often have you had a power cut in the last year? If it's more than once (assuming you are in the UK of course!), you've been unlucky. So the chances of having one at the point you are updating are ridiculously small. You are far more likely to be run over by a bus which, when you think about it, is far more serious than having a broken Blu-Ray player. But that doesn't stop you crossing the road does it?

Geesus:Not wanting to scare anyone but it does happen from time to time and sending back this equipment may not be an option if the company knows what has happend.

There's no reason why a company wouldn't fix a unit which has been 'bricked' because of a failure of power during a firmware update. They can easily flash the firmware chip to get it working again. If it's outside the warranty period, you run a certain risk, but it would be very bad PR for them to not do it considering the simplicity of the fix. Of course if you are trying to put a non-official firmware upgrade on there (e.g. the PSP one which allows you to play copied games) then you may well be on your own. But for an issue upgrading offical firmware, there shouldn't be any reason why the manufacturer won't help you.

Geesus:Also dont be in a huge rush to update firmware if your player is working ok.Hasty updates have also been known to break certain things and it`s always best i find to let others test firmware out for a while before i update mine ; )

Can't argue with this - if everything is working as you want, there's no need to update. However, I've found Blu-Rays now load a lot quicker thanks to this update on my Sony so I would say it's definitely worth doing in this particular instance.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Geesus:Could i just add a word of caution to people updating firmware. Firmware is best updated when the equipment is connected to a ups (uninteruptable power supply) as any power outage,brown out or glitch could possibly turn your nice shiny blu ray player or whatever into a nice shiny big paperweight.

Fair enough in a company's server room, but very few people have a UPS at home. And there's no justification for buying one just to update the firmware of your Blu-Ray player - how often have you had a power cut in the last year? If it's more than once (assuming you are in the UK of course!), you've been unlucky. So the chances of having one at the point you are updating are ridiculously small. You are far more likely to be run over by a bus which, when you think about it, is far more serious than having a broken Blu-Ray player. But that doesn't stop you crossing the road does it?

Geesus:Not wanting to scare anyone but it does happen from time to time and sending back this equipment may not be an option if the company knows what has happend.

There's no reason why a company wouldn't fix a unit which has been 'bricked' because of a failure of power during a firmware update. They can easily flash the firmware chip to get it working again. If it's outside the warranty period, you run a certain risk, but it would be very bad PR for them to not do it considering the simplicity of the fix. Of course if you are trying to put a non-official firmware upgrade on there (e.g. the PSP one which allows you to play copied games) then you may well be on your own. But for an issue upgrading offical firmware, there shouldn't be any reason why the manufacturer won't help you.

Geesus:Also dont be in a huge rush to update firmware if your player is working ok.Hasty updates have also been known to break certain things and it`s always best i find to let others test firmware out for a while before i update mine ; )

Can't argue with this - if everything is working as you want, there's no need to update. However, I've found Blu-Rays now load a lot quicker thanks to this update on my Sony so I would say it's definitely worth doing in this particular instance.

Sony's Terms and conditions make interesting reading.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fairly standard. Trust me, if your player was bricked because there was a power failure during the firmware update, they would more than likely replace it, or provide an alternative fix to get it working again (potentially a CD you can boot from would fix the issue). I've heard of numerous Sony PSP players being replaced from this and also PS3s so it's not unusual.

A

Anonymous

"Sony does not give any Warranty with regard to the accuracy or reliability of the results or output that derives from the use of Utilities. Sony does not accept any responsibility for loss of data or damage caused by the installation or use of any of the downloaded Utilities, or give any other warranty, or accept any liability whatsoever with respect to Utilities. Sony recommends that Users (and Users warrant that they shall) always create and retain a copy of all data in hardware (with or in which Utilities will be installed or used) before installing or using any Utilities.
Sony and Sony Affiliates do not (except as specifically stated in an applicable EULA, if at all) offer support or assistance in using, installing or maintaining any Utilities, or resolving issues or problems that may occur as a result of using or installing Utilities."

that cant be good???
emotion-3.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes but:

professorhat:Fairly standard. Trust me, if your player was bricked because there was a power failure during the firmware update, they would more than likely replace it, or provide an alternative fix to get it working again (potentially a CD you can boot from would fix the issue). I've heard of numerous Sony PSP players being replaced from this and also PS3s so it's not unusual.

A

Anonymous

Bricked PS3's?? The Xbox Fanboys will have field day if this gets out lol

A

Anonymous

I can confirm that since I updated the f/w of my S350, BD's are indeed loading much much faster than they used to.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts