So you think mains cables cant possibly make a difference

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a ground loop
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:My five-year-old thinks the Uniti is "too loud". Does that count?

Speaking of which, when do we get to read your review of it? (The naimuniti, not the 5 year-old.)

When I've had enough time to do some of the A/B comparisons that people will ask about. Though first impressions are along the lines of "all the stereo most people would ever need" lines. I have some qualms about the interface though, and am itching to get my hands on the iPhone app to see if it makes it more user-friendly.

EDIT - but all this will happen after I've returned it to the office on Tuesday for them to do some testing or other, the *******.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
I use this for Electro Magnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference filtering. Far cheaper than these mains cables & also offer surge protection.

So your Pioneer tv is connected through this?

aliEnRIK:bigboss:

I use this for Electro Magnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference filtering. Far cheaper than these mains cables & also offer surge protection.

Yes. All my AV equipment is connected to a couple of these. The main reason for purchase is surge protection, but these also act as EMI & RFI filters apparently.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:aliEnRIK:bigboss:

Yes. All my AV equipment is connected to a couple of these. The main reason for purchase is surge protection, but these also act as EMI & RFI filters apparently.

Ive heard they have a negative effect on hifi and tvs etc

Makes me wonder if thats why youve struggled to see differences when youve been testing on your tv

daveh75

aliEnRIK:bigboss:aliEnRIK:bigboss:

Ive heard they have a negative effect on hifi and tvs etc

Makes me wonder if thats why youve struggled to see differences when youve been testing on your tv

Or maybe there just wasn't any differences to see.

aliEnRIK: I've heard they have a negative effect on hifi and tvs etc

Can you elaborate on the negative effects? Previously, my equipment was connected directly to the mains & bought the Belkin a couple of weeks later. No difference whatsoever when I connected them to the Belkin.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:aliEnRIK: I've heard they have a negative effect on hifi and tvs etc

Can you elaborate on the negative effects? Previously, my equipment was connected directly to the mains & bought the Belkin a couple of weeks later. No difference whatsoever when I connected them to the Belkin.

Robbing amps of dynamlcs. That sort of thing

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
aliEnRIK: Robbing amps of dynamlcs. That sort of thing

Nope. None whatsoever.

Fair enough.

Just to add though, I dont believe it has any RFI filtering (At least not as in a circuit like the Tacima).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
According to Belkin website, listed in features:

- Electro Magnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference filtering for clean power.

- Filters EMI/RFI noise up to 75 dB reduction

To be honest, I'm not really bothered if it has RFI feature or not.....maybe my area has a "clean power supply".

Thats a different unit to the one you showed on amazon

Because that's the newer model of the series. Same figures have been quoted on the pack in which my surge protector came in. As I said before, in any case, I'm not really bothered. I'm satisfied that there's no RFI / EMI to my equipment which is resulting in a demonstrable deterioration in performance.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I think it's like SLR cameras with image stabilisation features. You can either have the image stabilisation built into the lenses (& so you need the image stabilisation feature for all the lenses you buy.......just like mains cables) or have the image stabilisation built into the camera body itself (& so all lenses connected to the camera body benefit from it obviating the use of lenses with image stabilisation feature...........just like the Belkin or the Tacima CS929). The result is the same, although the former is much more expensive than the latter.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:Because that's the newer model of the series. Same figures have been quoted on the pack in which my surge protector came in.

Odd that theyve cut back on the number of sockets then!

Ah well...........

A

Anonymous

Funny how such threads always ending in people discussing subtleties in, and reasons for something that's never proven in the first case.... It's like medieval philosophers discussing how many angels could sit on a needle's point....

Myself, I hear considerable differences in my hi-fi systems, depending on my mood.

Fortunately, I know too much about psychology as well as physics, to waste my time discussing which parts of my hi-fi set up that might cause these differences.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Fahnsen:
Fortunately, I know too much about psychology as well as physics

Can you ever know too much about psychology? Some more reading on modesty, maybe...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts