So if I want SACD, Blu-Ray and DVD-Audio, what should I buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Like many it seems, I was holding out for the Oppo player to arrive as it ticked all the boxes. Now that it is going to be delayed indefinitely, what are my options if I want SACD as well as Blu-Ray? I'd ideally like DVD-Audio as well.

From what I can see, none of the usual suspects (apart from the Oppo) such as the Sony, Pioneer and Denons can help me here.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Ed

A

Anonymous

What's your budget? What will you be hooking it up to and how important is it to you, to have it all in one box?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
There's the Cambridge Audio deck on it's way that might be closer to Oppo's price range. In the Oppo thread Clare said that they are visiting CA on the 10th (I think) and that they will try and get more info then. On a different thread there was a post from someone official at CA that said that their machine uses the same OEM kit that Oppo used so many functions such as boot speed should be similar though CA will be using their own sourced scaling chip and their own DACs. I'm looking forward to more info on this one.

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:What's your budget? What will you be hooking it up to and how important is it to you, to have it all in one box?

Below £1k would be nice. I'll be hooking it up to a Denon 4308A, KEF eggs and a nice Velodyne sub. An all in one box would be ideal as I don't have much space in the rack (my stereo system is separate from this one.)

A

Anonymous

Be interested to hear more about the CA player. I'm not wild about getting the Oppo US version even though I'm sure it's a fantastic player - that's why I've been holding out for the 831.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
EdJ:
Be interested to hear more about the CA player. I'm not wild about getting the Oppo US version even though I'm sure it's a fantastic player - that's why I've been holding out for the 831.

Thanks for the replies so far!

You're in the same boat as me. I was quite interested in the BDP-831 but a bit uneasy about getting the mod'ed 83 so for the moment I've turned my attention to the CA deck. (That is unless a surprise christmas bonus appears at my feet and I can splurge on the Denon BPD-4010UD!)

The CA site says the 650BD will be shipping late 2009. Again I'm looking forward to more details such as a more approximate shipping date and pricing info after the WHF team pay CA a visit in a couple of weeks.

A

Anonymous

EdJ:
Will Harris:What's your budget? What will you be hooking it up to and how important is it to you, to have it all in one box?

Below £1k would be nice. I'll be hooking it up to a Denon 4308A, KEF eggs and a nice Velodyne sub. An all in one box would be ideal as I don't have much space in the rack (my stereo system is separate from this one.)

Well, if I were in the same boat, I'd probably have a good think about whether you really want to play SACDs and DVD'A. If you do, then buy the Oppo 83. If you don't then quite honestly, you're just as well off buying a Sony BDP S350 for next to nothing, as in my experience, you get the same performance from it, as you do from much more expensive decks. Your Denon amp will do all the decoding so you've really nothing to worry about doing in the player.

If you have a seperate stereo system, why would you be planning to feed SACD and DVD-A through the AV system into Kef eggs, which frankly won't do high resolution audio any justice at all? They're great fun, great value but why not use the eggs as surrounds and your hi-fi speakers for your fronts? You could use your Denon av amp as a processor and use your stereo amp as power amp, depending on it's capabilities. You've got lots of options open to you.

Best thing would be if you write out two lists and post them on here showing the complete kit list of your AV system, from source to screen and your hi-fi system. Don't leave anything out and then everyone reading can have a think about how best you can set up something that'll work. All the best!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I have a Yamaha RX-V1065 which accepts DSD via HDMI. Does this mean I could buy another bluray player (like the award winning Sony) and it would send SACD / DVD-A via DSD and the Yamaha decodes this signal. If this is possible anyone know any Blueray players for £500 maximum that will do this?

Thanks,

Justin

A

Anonymous

Both systems are in different rooms. So most of my music listening is done through my stereo system which is all Musical Fidelity (2 X-P200s and 2 X-A50s and their Tri-Vista 21 DAC / X-Ray all going into a pair of ATC SCM35s.)

So to answer your question - why would I put SACD / DVD-A through the AV system? - well, this sounds silly but I happen to have a few SACDs / DVD-As which I've never heard on a specific high resolution player and when I saw that the Oppo did all this and more, it gave me an extra incentive to move to Blu-Ray. I also occasionally listen to music through the AV system and saw it as a reason to do a bit more (the armchair is more comfy in the AV room!)

I think the Denon is a fantastic piece of kit combined with a decent Pioneer 46" plasma and whilst the eggs are not the last word in quality, they are pretty good and very wife-friendly in terms of being discreetly hidden in the corners of the rooms.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
mrfitzy2u:

Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I have a Yamaha RX-V1065 which accepts DSD via HDMI. Does this mean I could buy another bluray player (like the award winning Sony) and it would send SACD / DVD-A via DSD and the Yamaha decodes this signal. If this is possible anyone know any Blueray players for £500 maximum that will do this?

Thanks,

Justin

It is not a stupid question, but the answer is no. There are only a tiny number of highly expensive Blu-ray players (and the import only Oppo) that can play SACDs/DVD-As

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Only if the player will play the SACD and DVD-A discs, which the Sony won't. AFAIK the imported US-market Oppo is the only machine able to do this within your budget.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
mrfitzy2u:
Hi,

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

No you will need a Universal Blu-ray player that is capable of reading SACDs in order to stream the DSD out of the HDMI to your receiver. So at the moment such a player would be the Oppo at the entry level (was supposed to be £450 when it was released in the UK but now the official european version has been delayed indefinitely) with the Cambridge Audio deck hopefully coming soon at a similar price point, at the mid/high level there are the Marantz UD8004 and the forthcoming Denon DBP-4010UD (around the £1900 mark) and then at the high end the Marantz UD9004 and the Denon DVD-A1UD coming in at £5k and £4k respectively.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Only if the player will play the SACD and DVD-A discs, which the Sony won't. AFAIK the imported US-market Oppo is the only machine able to do this within your budget.

One more mention of the import Andrew and I'll have to hit the ban button
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Only if the player will play the SACD and DVD-A discs, which the Sony won't. AFAIK the imported US-market Oppo is the only machine able to do this within your budget.

Andrew - what about at any budget? Can you point me in the direction of any players that do all this? Thanks, Ed

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:The new Denon DBP-4010 is about the most affordable...

Thanks very much, although a little more than I'd want to pay given the number of times I would actually use the SACD player. Looks like I will be putting this decision on hold for a while.

I haven't picked up Gramophone for a while - are there any obvious SACD recordings out there that would make me want to get an SACD player sooner?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Hilarious, except I have the

usb_nuke_button_1.jpg

and he doesn't...

Can't believe the equipment moderators have to have these days. BTW is it connected digitally or by anologue cable.
emotion-1.gif

Grief , you could launch ICBMs with one of those.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
laserman16:Andrew Everard:
Hilarious, except I have the

emotion-1.gif

Grief , you could launch ICBMs with one of those.

Probably WIFI and it's kept in a briefcase that's handcuffed to some unfortunate WHF intern's wrist.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Intern? You think we have interns??? As I look around me, it's press day on the magazine, and there are precisely four other people and a freelance in the office...

Mode magazine it ain't...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts