So...How do I get the best 5.1 sound AAaargh!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry about the dramatics
emotion-3.gif

I used to think I knew what I was on about but maybe it's my age!

I am buying a new TV, planning on a new Blu Ray and hoping I don't need a new amp (currently an Onkyo TX-SR505e). Also I know I don't need speakers so that's good. Currently KEF 1005s.

I want to use the latest HD audio codecs and am unsure if I can. Granted I do not know the capabilities of my amp properly as it has not had that much use, but all that is set to change.

Basically can you help me with what I need as I was planning on a Sony S360 to start off and now after reading am unsure as although it decodes these new formats it has no multi channel out for my amp (which does have multi channel in). Also I do not think that I can use HDMI for sound can I. I also *think* that Optical/Coax will not provide proper 5.1 will it.

So am I wrong on the above, do I only need a different Blu Ray player or do I actually need a new amp to listen to the likes of DTS-HD and the others?

Having said all that will I actually notice much difference between the new audio codecs ---> LCPM as opposed to DD ---> LCPM.

I am going to stop there as I am confusing myself, he he, thanks in advance for any help, Max.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Amp is fine, but you do need a BD player able to decode soundtracks and output them as multichannel analogue. The conventional digital connection won't carry the HD audio formats, as you rightly assumed, and yes, that HD sound is well worth having.

Click here for a rundown of suitable models, complete with our verdicts.

A

Anonymous

Ah, thanks for such a quick reply.

Bang goes my hopes of getting an S360/S363, any recommendations?

Also could you confirm whether it's true that proper 5.1 is only available via the multi analogue or HDMI (with an amp that can use HDMI for audio, unlike mine?) As I was informed by my store that opt/coax and my amp would produce actual 5.1 which I have since come to realise may not be true.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Andrew.

Are there any alternatives to my proposed S360/S363 Blu Ray? The LG 390, Panasonic BD65? Others?

OR, drastic as it sounds to me when I don't necessarily need one, should I plump for a newer (better?) amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Panasonic won't do the job - no multichannel analogue outs - but the LG will: the review is here. The link i gave you before lists all the others we've tested with multichannel analogue outs.

And no, I really wouldn't change your amp.

A

Anonymous

Once again thanks.

Just ordered my TV with 100 pound off the cheapest price I have seen. Put this towards that BD player now.
emotion-2.gif

I am hoping that what I have read is true in that the Samsung LE40B551A is exactly the same as the LE40B550 but with a different bezel!
emotion-9.gif
Gulp!

A

Anonymous

Hmmm. Seems to be a choice between the Sony S550 and the LG 390.

LG newer and highly recommended as is the Sony but slightly older. Not sure that matters. Decisions, decisions.

A

Anonymous

I had exactly the same issue, and plumped for a Sony S760. 8 Channel Out, excellent upscaling of DVD's, Wireless Networking and a USB on the back for BD Live (actually think this is better than built in as you can put whatever size memory you want in), finally excellent Bluray playback with fairly good start up speed.

TRENDING THREADS