Small wall-mount speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've posted a few times around this subject and people's responses have helped me build up a better picture of what I might chosse for my next set of speakers. Wife and child are forcing speakers to go wall-mounted so an in the market for something as small as possible, reasonably cheap (don't view this as a permanent solution) but great-sounding. Will be used primarily with Squeezebox 3 / NAD C325BEE combo. I currently use MA RS1 speakers but think even these are a little on the large size, plus would like a change as the current finish on these doesn't match our new house. My shortlist, is currently as below. As you can see a mix a prices so would appreciate views on whether it is worth spending the additonal cost of the AVIs or not etc (especially given the wall-mounting). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Budget is very much limited to ~£500, ideally less as I am looking for best sound per buck. AVI Neutron IV (~£550, though could get ex-demo for £400. Also aren't the Neutron 5s on their way?) Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom (£110 and slightly bigger than ideal - so cheap though!) Quad 9L2 (£380, Love the look and size but not seen many reviews) Epos ELS 3 (Cheap at £200 but how cheerful?) Any thoughts would be appreciated as would any news on when the new AVIs might be available. To quote AVIs website, "the Neutron 5's are a little larger, considerably better and rather less expensive!". Sounds ideal but have no idea how long this news has been around and therefore whether it is worth hanging on a few months.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Epos are totally outclassed by the AVI IVs, not sure about the others. In fact the AVIs are a very very good speaker.

A

Anonymous

Figured as much having seen so many good reviews of the AVIs.

Looks like the quad's are actually more like £250 which seems good value but haven't heard much about these little ones.

Does anyone know what the low-end performance is like with any of these? While I am not expecting ground-shaking performance from any small speakers, I do want my music to sound complete as I mainly listen to rock music.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks once I've decided if I want them or not! Sounds like a glowing endoresement though so thanks for that.

Do you think I'd find the bass lacking in these speakers for normal listening?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
That all depends. I don;t find the bass lacking on my ProAcs in the kitchen and they are wall mounted and very small in size. However, they do sound better overall when not wall mounted and on better stands.

And for those of you who are interested they also sounded better with QED SA XT cable rather than 6mm copper.

A

Anonymous

Have found another set pre-owned but only 6 weeks old and unused for £350 in Rosewood if you do seriously want some for your kitchen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts