Sky Signal distance over long HDMI cable

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
My brother needs to temporarily relocate his TV to the bedroom but can't move the sky HD box. A long HDMI cable seems to be the easiest solution. However the distance is about 25m and although cables are available in this length I'm not convinced that the signal will survive over this distance ( he only has a SD subscription). Any idea if this will work, and might he have more success with ethernet cable and adaptors at each end. Alternatively he could extend the satellite cable as he only has one LNB, although this would be a bit harder to make up.

Gray

If it was me I would extend the cable from the LNB, with a minimum of CT100 type satellite downlead and preferably CT125 type (with appropriately sized F connectors).
.....after ensuring that the current cable is at least as good - otherwise renew the lot.
A mate bought a 15 metre HDMI to feed a projector without problem......just as well because he paid £300 for it, no doubt due to snake oil properties.
If he could find a cheap enough (good) one, your brother could try a 25m HDMI lead first.
An alternative would be to look into HDMI extenders of some sort.
I'm sure others will advise doing it in some wireless way.
(I'm presuming it's old Sky and not Q).

abacus

SD data speed requirements are so that low a wet piece of sting will do that distance so don’t worry about it, just get a good quality cable that meets the speed requirements for SD. (Average price on Amazon is £30)

Bill

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I could be wrong, but assume his brother watches the free HD channels Bill (it's obviously an HD box).
Oddly enough he only needs to get Sky Sports Cricket in SD to the bedroom. If the free HD channels work then that will be a bonus. ( He does internet cricket commentary but somebody has started noisily building a block of flats outside his living room window). He can switch back to watching in the living room during the evening.

Reactions: Gray

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. Brought a 25m cable for £30 off Amazon. Works fine, even with HD as it turns out that he does actually have Sky Sports in HD, he just didn't realise.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts