Sky HD vs Sony 970 HD/DVD recorder for standard def recording

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I currently have sky HD & i find that Standard def recordings are great from it however, how much better or not is the Sony 970 recorder for recording Standard def from freeview compared to Sky HD?

I ask because ive a chance of buying one brand new for 200 quid, as i could do with some more hard drive space etc but im not sure id want it if the recordings arnt on a par with sky hd?

Anyone have an opinion?

A

Anonymous

I have this model and it is excellent. SB is processed up to full HD quality and the difference between my Onkyo 875 doing it or the Sony is negligable. Outputs the signal over HDMI to the AV amp as well.

Recording onto the hard drive is just as good, I have also ripped 52CD's onto it as well and the playback is as good as any CD player I have owned!

A no brainer if you can pick one up for only £200 IMHO.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:I have this model and it is excellent. SB is processed up to full HD quality and the difference between my Onkyo 875 doing it or the Sony is negligable. Outputs the signal over HDMI to the AV amp as well.

Recording onto the hard drive is just as good, I have also ripped 52CD's onto it as well and the playback is as good as any CD player I have owned!

A no brainer if you can pick one up for only £200 IMHO.Hi Trev,

When you say you've ripped your cd;s to it how have you done this? Is it a case of just putting a CD in the recorder & copying it?

A

Anonymous

Hi Jase, yes that's what I do.

Use it nowadays to play most of my music off the hard drive.
The quality is not as good playing CD's off the transport, just average.
But off the HD it is something else.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
If you're going to keep the sky HD as well, then I would only get the Sony if you have some other reason for wanting it as well, not just for recording SD material to the HDD alone. I've got sky HD now, and have owned a Sony DVD/HDD recorder in the past, and in both cases I have never been able to tell the difference between broadcast and recorded material (using the HQ setting on the Sony)

If however you are debating getting the Sony as an exit strategy for Sky HD and the factor that it hinges on is the SD recording quality, then It's a no-brainer IMO - get the Sony!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:Hi Jase, yes that's what I do.

Use it nowadays to play most of my music off the hard drive.
The quality is not as good playing CD's off the transport, just average.
But off the HD it is something else.Sounds good Trev,

So when you put a Cd in the recorder what quality setting do you use to rip it to the drive? HQ+? And when you play the CD back from the hard drive i take it its over HDMI?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts