Silly/Bad idea - Placing a turntable right next to a speaker.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Im moving things around (inc all my stereo gear)... One option I have is to place my turntable (rega 1) on a shelf, directly next too (about an inch from) a speaker (B&W 685).

Iv not gone to all the effort of plugging it all in yet, but Im wondering if its even worth it, could I expect feedback?

any thoughts?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
You could expect the stylus to jump out of the groove for starters.

Any thoughts......

I wouldnt if i was you
emotion-1.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say it,s to close.

Try this, with the volume at a reasonable level place stylus on a stationary record, lightly tap the plinth.

If you get thumps through your speakers, it,s either to close or you need better isolation.

But saying that my P3 is only about 2 feet away from the right hand speaker with no problems.

Target D5 rack, tripod, 2 legs front, one center back, glass shelves on bump stops, with the deck on the top shelve sitting on a Morrisons granite chopping board.

A

Anonymous

Tapping the plinth may produce a thump in any circumstances, particularly with the Rega which has no suspension nor isolation and therefore transmits any noise, vibration etc straight to the cartridge.

What you may suffer from is feedback with the turntable that close to one speaker.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Tapping the plinth may produce a thump in any circumstances, particularly with the Rega which has no suspension nor isolation and therefore transmits any noise, vibration etc straight to the cartridge.

Agreed - it's no way to diagnose any potential problem.

Tarquinh:What you may suffer from is feedback with the turntable that close to one speaker.

I should think that's virtually guaranteed...

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem if your speakers are on stands that have spiked feet and your turntable is properly isolated. My speaker is a few inches from my turntable and I haven't had any problems with feedback.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Sabby:Shouldn't be a problem if your speakers are on stands that have spiked feet and your turntable is properly isolated. My speaker is a few inches from my turntable and I haven't had any problems with feedback.
Similar experience here; speaker on stands only inches from the TT (though it is well isolated on dedicated shelf) with no problems.

TRENDING THREADS