Shure 1540 + Arcam A19

Katsu

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello

I am looking to buy a pair of closed headphones. I will use them with our new Arcam A19 amp and IRDac. The amp is in the living room and so I need to replace my current open Audio Technica AD 700's. The leakage annoys the family. Previously I used the AD700's on the computer with a Auzetech Prelude soundcard. The shure 1540 has consistently great reviews. The a19 is supposed to have a good headphone amp but is it good enough for the Shure 1540? Will the amp limit the quality of the sound such that I am not getting the full value of what I spend to get the Shure 1540's? For the money I would like to hear an improvement over the existing AD700's. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks

BTW I otherwise listen to Dynaudio M20's connected to the A19 and that makes me very happy.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Katsu said:
Hello

I am looking to buy a pair of closed headphones. I will use them with our new Arcam A19 amp and IRDac. The amp is in the living room and so I need to replace my current open Audio Technica AD 700's. The leakage annoys the family. Previously I used the AD700's on the computer with a Auzetech Prelude soundcard. The shure 1540 has consistently great reviews. The a19 is supposed to have a good headphone amp but is it good enough for the Shure 1540? Will the amp limit the quality of the sound such that I am not getting the full value of what I spend to get the Shure 1540's? For the money I would like to hear an improvement over the existing AD700's. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks

BTW I otherwise listen to Dynaudio M20's connected to the A19 and that makes me very happy.

You're going to replace a headphone that has strong highs with a headphone that has recessed highs? Good luck on that.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Katsu said:
I was thinking a DT1770 but have been put off by all the people complaining about rattling drivers.

My DT1770 has been perfect, but it too is fairly dark, like the Shure 1540. A better sound might be the AKG K553 or Philips Fidelio X2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts