Should the MJ Pro 50 (mk1) be used with the high level input for music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

davo said:
I have happily owned one for many years. Most that can be said has been said already. I would add that it is room (as well as location within the room)dependent. It worked better in my old listening room than in my new listening room. In my old room I could indeed get good results with only about 10% gain (8 o'clock position). That's with Castle speakers rolling off at about 48Hz and the cut-off of the sub set at minimum - 40Hz. I confirmed with the manufacturer that the "cut off" is in fact a gentle taper and using a set-up disc and a RadioShack/Tandy analyser was able to see the sub augmenting from about 35Hz to 55Hz.

The audible effect is however fairly subtle as others have said. I notice it most with organ music - after all not much else goes below 50Hz.

Thanks davo. I read that some subs roll off about 10hz higher so you should set the crossover lower, i started with 40hz which is about perfect as the speakers rolloff below 60hz but i plan to get an SPL so i can work out the frequency responses of the sub and speakers.

Subtle is the word though! It is invisible which is the idea of course. I wonder what it would sound like with a better amp and cables or as an av sub with the bass management. I bought it for audio and it does fill out the lower registers nicely. It's better than an 8" monitor speaker as i have a lot more control of the low end via placement, crossover etc, more accurate bass which is pretty sweet and total freedom with the choice of mains as well.

2.1 all the way baby! Thanks for all your posts, i have a much better understanding of subwoofers now. If in doubt, rinse it out! :lol: Nah, just watch those levels and make sure you get one big enough and definitely get active and sealed if it's for music

My 2c.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts