Should I use spikes on ...

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Should I use spikes or rubber protectors with speakers placed on laminate flooring over solid concrete? I'm not too worried about the laminate, if that helps. BTW my other half will definitely not go for granite chopping boards under the speakers ;-)

Please let me know what you think.

Me, I would tend to use spikes on a solid floor, you can always get metal cups to sit them in to protect the laminate but I have mine on a suspended floor so use isolators underneath.
I see little point in granite blocks when you're on a solid floor anyway.

Reactions: scene

scene

Me, I would tend to use spikes on a solid floor, you can always get metal cups to sit them in to protect the laminate but I have mine on a suspended floor so use isolators underneath.
I see little point in granite blocks when you're on a solid floor anyway.
I'd go for spikes as well, and yes get the cups if you don't want to get the scratches. My experience of laminate is it can be slightly bowed cross the width of a board, so without spikes you can get slight instability.

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, AI ears. I'll check out the metal cups you mention. I remember my childhood home in the UK having suspended floors, but over here in Germany they go for solid concrete. There's also 50 cm of solid walls between me and my neighbours. Is that a good thing in terms of acoustics?

Reactions: Al ears

jjbomber

Me, I would tend to use spikes on a solid floor, you can always get metal cups to sit them in to protect the laminate .
Being tight, I would place the spikes on 2p coins, with a small dent made by a counterpunch in the middle. What we really need is a group test to see which coins work best.

Last edited:

Jimboo

No need bomber, Russ Andrews hand minted acoustically composite alloy steadfast "spike coins" guarantees a rock solid performance and promises solid improved bass performance whatever your flooring.
Machined to a trillion of a millimetre accuracy to the spikes of your choice ( he recommends his 99.9999% anti corrosion precision engineered ultra spikes) the small metatremor pad built into the indentation will be the final tweak for today's audiophile driven market
£850.00 a pair. Ring for Ultra Spikes cost.

Thanks, AI ears. I'll check out the metal cups you mention. I remember my childhood home in the UK having suspended floors, but over here in Germany they go for solid concrete. There's also 50 cm of solid walls between me and my neighbours. Is that a good thing in terms of acoustics?
Yes, it means when they are hammering on the wall yelling 'turn it down' you will not hear them..... :)

Reactions: Friesiansam
D

Deleted member 188516

No need bomber, Russ Andrews hand minted acoustically composite alloy steadfast "spike coins" guarantees a rock solid performance and promises solid improved bass performance whatever your flooring.
Machined to a trillion of a millimetre accuracy to the spikes of your choice ( he recommends his 99.9999% anti corrosion precision engineered ultra spikes) the small metatremor pad built into the indentation will be the final tweak for today's audiophile driven market
£850.00 a pair. Ring for Ultra Spikes cost.

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Recently moved into a new flat and have had laminate flooring installed over a concrete floor. I started with having my Monitor Audio BX5 floorstanders on their spikes with cones underneath and wasnt happy as there was limited bass. I tried the foam things to sit the speakers on and it improved the bass but also made it over power the music a lot of the time. Ive ended up just having the speakers sitting on the floor without the spikes and found it is sounding much more balanced now. Occasionally the treble is a little shrill which im hoping a rug in front will help with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts