Should I install a second Router in house?

kbarnak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi to you All.

Probably a silly question but I just need to know to settle my mind.

I have a Belkin Play N router plugged inby ethernet into my imac upstairs and this router services my TV and Blu Ray downstairs ok. I was wondering if I plugged my Plusnet Thomson router directly into the TV or Blu Ray and telephone line , would it give me a stronger link for the TV or Blu Ray. I get a full strength signal from my Belkin . Sounds a bit silly but just wondered if it strenghens signals ?

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It is possible to use two routers on the same network but it requires careful configuration to make it work properly. bigboss is absolutely spot on though, if your signal strength is good there is absolutely no need. You could end up causing more headaches!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the same router as you and the range is pretty poor compared to the Netgear unit i had before. Probably around 50% of the range of the Netgear. If I'm upstairs on the other side of the house, it drops out a lot.

If you can borrow another unit from a mate, you can see if yours has poor range too.

I guess that you can't check the actual connection speed via your TV or DVD player only signal strength?

I'm going to swap mine out for a netgear later this week, as I have one at work that's now surplus to requirements.

Martin

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar enquiry.

We have actually got two internet enabled phone lines - one is a dedicated fax line.

However, as it is more economical, both lines now come with internet from the ISP.

We use powerline plugs for streaming to TV. But I was wondering also if there is a way to

enhance the current setup in any way by combining or using the two internet lines/ routers.

Any ideas?

You will need a dual WAN router apparently, after a quick Internet search.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dual+wan+router&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=10038240781&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=452396520874506484&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_32mwuscy4d_e

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts