Should I get the original (2012) KEF LS50 today?

eys

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I've been on the hunt for some speakers for the home office, I can't spend all day with headphones anymore.

And I came across the original KEF LS50 speakers at 50% off for Black Friday. Down to 600€ from 1200€ (supposedly). Is that still good value? The new wireless ones seem to be in a different league altogether.

I'd use my old Bluesound PowerNode (streamer/amp) to run them.

Gray

Hi. I've been on the hunt for some speakers for the home office, I can't spend all day with headphones anymore.

And I came across the original KEF LS50 speakers at 50% off for Black Friday. Down to 600€ from 1200€ (supposedly). Is that still good value? The new wireless ones seem to be in a different league altogether.

I'd say that by anyone's standards, that's good value.
Maybe forget about what any new stuff might be able to do and go for that.

D

Deleted member 116933

As long as the kefs are a good fit for you ( highly recommend you audition them) then do it if you have money they’re a good deal.

Reactions: eys and Al ears

gasolin

Not shure what the difference is between the normal and anniversary edition but £599 for a pair i think is not a black friday price

Reactions: eys and Al ears

jim1976

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I'd say at 600 they are good value. Otherwise I'd wait for the Meta ones if price is closer to 1k..
Meta are said to have improved in many aspects but I can't believe they can be that much better to worth more than double the price..

Reactions: Al ears
Don't listen to Darko on this one. He has NEVER reviewed truly high end speakers. He reviews mainly budget gear. Of course he will be impressed by the Kef LS50. He hasn't experienced anything better.

Maybe he should review coffee and pastries instead of audio gear.
Would you say Kef LS50 are high end? If not, can you suggest anything high end for the price?

D

Deleted member 116933

Don't listen to Darko on this one. He has NEVER reviewed truly high end speakers. He reviews mainly budget gear. Of course he will be impressed by the Kef LS50. He hasn't experienced anything better.

Your joking right he has the top end hegal sitting on his shelf, Kiii's sitting background, kef reference in the house and some klipsch forte iii lerking about

pretty high end to me

eys

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Wow, so much feedback and discussion! Thank you everybody. I'll watch the comparison @manicm posted, once I find 20 minutes of spare time.

A bit more background:

I work in the home office listening to music on my headphones for most of the day, and am getting a bit worried about my ears. So I figured some half-descent laptop speakers would be nice.

The Kef LS50 attracted my attention because 50% off seemed like a pretty good deal. Although 600€ is still quite a bit more than I had initially planned on.

Other active speakers I'm interested in are:
Now that I've written all this I feel like my head has cleared a bit. These are all in an entirely different price range from the Kef's, and maybe that's all I "need". I mostly listen to electronic music, but according to Spotify my most listened artist is Pink Floyd.

I will undoubtably crank it up very loud when needed. Stand-up desk dancing may occur. But mostly I'll be listening at lower volumes.

Thanks for bearing with me. A bit of a brain dump from my side.

manicm

Wow, so much feedback and discussion! Thank you everybody. I'll watch the comparison @manicm posted, once I find 20 minutes of spare time.

A bit more background:

I work in the home office listening to music on my headphones for most of the day, and am getting a bit worried about my ears. So I figured some half-descent laptop speakers would be nice.

The Kef LS50 attracted my attention because 50% off seemed like a pretty good deal. Although 600€ is still quite a bit more than I had initially planned on.

Other active speakers I'm interested in are:
Now that I've written all this I feel like my head has cleared a bit. These are all in an entirely different price range from the Kef's, and maybe that's all I "need". I mostly listen to electronic music, but according to Spotify my most listened artist is Pink Floyd.

I will undoubtably crank it up very loud when needed. Stand-up desk dancing may occur. But mostly I'll be listening at lower volumes.

Thanks for bearing with me. A bit of a brain dump from my side.

You definitely want to rip your own Pink Floyd CDs. Somehow the PF albums sound a bit flat to me on Spotify.

Reactions: eys

matthewpiano

Klipsch is garbage. KEF reference is bright and thin. Don't know about the Kiiis

It really seems like you are not here to support and advise other people, but purely to make unsupported pronouncements on kit you don't like.

How about doing something positive, and making suggestions for one or more price-comparable alternatives to the LS50s?

iceman16

👎

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
It really seems like you are not here to support and advise other people, but purely to make unsupported pronouncements on kit you don't like.

How about doing something positive, and making suggestions for one or more price-comparable alternatives to the LS50s?
I am just trying to balance the scales. The LS50s get overrated reviews. Newbies to this hobby can be fooled into buying them unheard. I am trying to advance a counter argument to the LS50 mania.

People should audition speakers before they buy them, don't believe the hype or reviews.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts