Should i get a Sony BDP-S790 or save money and go for the BDPS490?

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my Sony BDP-S370 (Still great though) for a player with 3D.

My question is 'taking away the 4K upscaling, Skype, WiFi etc. is the 490 the same as the 790 or are their performance benefits to be had?

It's really hard to tell from reviews and Sony's website.

Only need the basics but want the best possible picture and sound as i use with a projector where slight differences can be more than visible. £200 for the S790 isn't excessive but if i get the same Pic/ Sound for £120 less then great.

Lastly has anybody upgraded from their older S370 and seen any increase picture sound quality from doing so?

Thanks

Why don't you demo both the players & see if you can see any improvement? I haven't noticed any difference in blu ray picture quality when I demoed players at difference price points, but my demo was on my 50-inch TV & not a projector.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree about auditioning, though I think any distinction between the two BDPs in terms of sound and picture performance would be negligible, if there's any distinction at all. 4k upscaling is really of no use right now, either.

The only meaningful benefit the 790 offers is dual HDMI outputs, but since your Yamaha system allows 3D pass through, this becomes irrelevant.

If I had to choose between the two BDPs you mention, I'd save the money and buy the 490. However, I'd also recommend auditioning the Panasonic DMP-BDT120 and BDT220 (only look at the latter if you need wireless connectivity). Both perform to an extremely high standard and are absolute bargains.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cookie Monster

As an owner of a Sony BDP-S790 the only main benefits i'm getting over my old Pioneer BDP320 (I still have it) is faster load times, plays 3D & wireless.

As far as picture & sound i cant say there is much improvement, if any, over the Pioneer. The additional web apps included with it may be beneficial to you.

Regards ...

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Well i upgraded from a Sony BDP-S370 to a 790 and i have to say the differences in my system are minimal to say the least.

May'be a touch cleaner but at the expense of some picture sharpness, motion similar and perhaps voices not as pronounced on the S790. Its very good but not a huge jump in performance. Whats worse is that the best picture comes from the 'direct' setting, so similar to using 'standard' on previous models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts