Setup assistance

breesyaudio

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
I have an Oppo BDP-105D which was their top of the line multi disc player and streamer, and has a very high quality Sabre D-to-A converter in it, however (but) my receiver also has exceptional D-to-A chip(s) as well. It's a 2004 Sony ES series STR-DA 9000ES unit. I can use the 7 channel analog out from the Oppo disc player/streamer to the multi-channel input, and it works, BUT it only puts out L, R front (stereo) so no "0.1" subwoofer or LFE channel, and I want the sub to play. If I switch the Oppo to the optical or coax digital output, in to the Sony receiver, it will play back in 2.1 "AFD" so that sounds "ok" BUT it is showing a 44.1 kHz digital signal, and that's with the Tidal set to Master Audio, and the same for Hi-Fi.
*HOW CAN I GET A HIGHER QUALITY DIGITAL AUDIO output from the Oppo in to the Sony receiver, that only has optical or coax digital inputs? (No HDMI or USB on the Sony)
*IS THERE A DIFFERENT SOURCE (Tidal can be on) that I could use for Tidal? like my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet (Windows 10) that has a couple of USB outputs, and I have a USB-to-Digital coax or Digital optical converter that I could connect to a digital input on the Sony receiver.
* I also have Tidal on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra smartphone, and it has a USB-C port that I should be able to use as a digital bitstream output, although I am not entirely certain how to do that. I'm 95% sure it outputs a digital audio bitstream as there's no headphone jack, but I'm not sure, it could be analog and converted with an internal D-to-A converter.
I will appreciate your response and thank you in advance.

breesyaudio

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
Thanks. I hope you can help me make the MOST of my Tidal "top tier" subscription. My audio equipment, especially the Klipsch full size floor standing speakers (KLF-30) and Definitive Technology Trinity SuperCube subwoofer along with my Sony STR-DA 9000ES receiver (circa 2004) separate Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amplifier running in "BTL-2 Channel" mode, and the spectacular Oppo BDP-105D streaming multi-disc player (my Tidal source) are all TOP performers in the era they were released. They perform so well, that throughout my 20 years (1990-2009) in Audio/Video and Home Theater and afterwards, my lifelong love for music and exceptional video productions, they were EXACTLY what I wanted, even though I had to buy most of them as used items because it took a long time since their introduction for me to be able to afford them. I just don't see much made now that can compare to or compete with them in performance or build quality!
Anyway, thanks again and I'll be looking for your reply.

abacus

Make sure the digital output on the Oppo is set to Bitstream not PCM , if you still don't get a higher rate then it may be a limitation of the receiver. (It is old after all)

Bill

Welcome to the forum!

I have the earlier 95 Oppo, though it doesn’t get much use currently. I bought it for Hifi use rather than video. However, I recall a vast array of menus that are only accessible when connected to a TV (or, I suppose, a computer monitor?). Is there some function that will offer the signal(s) you are seeking?

It surely isn’t Tidal that’s relevant, is it, because that’s presumably a stereo service and your amp will generate the sub output if it’s equipped to do so?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The Optical and Coax outputs are restricted to 96kHz however the OPs amp should be able to handle this.

Not according to the manual, they're capable of full fat 192 @Al ears

"Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS"

OP, Tidal will only ever spit out CD quality (16/44) unless you have an MQA decoder on board the Oppo/somewhere in the chain. If you want "better quality" you need to sign up to qobuz or similar and then find a way to feed it into the oppo. Or do you mean a better quality sound rather than bit rate?

Tidal, yes you can use your phone, some phones are able to decode MQA at least the first unfold.

Annoyingly, not all AVRs use the subwoofer in stereo mode and some you can't turn the sub off depends on the brand. I've hand many a problem with this, and Rel's high level connection will need clarification before using not all class D (digital based) amps like to be connected like this and can cause damage, pioneer and their ice modules for example. Check with the manufacturer first. Also won't be of benefit if the speaker don't receive the full signal in stereo mode (most likely will) but look to your user manual first.

jjbomber

, and the spectacular Oppo BDP-105D streaming multi-disc player (my Tidal source) are all TOP performers in the era they were released.
I've got 2 of them, and they do remain in a class of their own to this day. My local Audio-t said they didn't stock them because there wasn't much of a margin in them. You got what you paid for, rather than paying for a huge mark-up. As you say, streaming and multi-format discs, but also a great DAC and even a pre-amplifier and headphone amp. Did I mention Darbee processing? Just a fantastic piece of kit.

Not according to the manual, they're capable of full fat 192 @Al ears

"Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS"

OP, Tidal will only ever spit out CD quality (16/44) unless you have an MQA decoder on board the Oppo/somewhere in the chain. If you want "better quality" you need to sign up to qobuz or similar and then find a way to feed it into the oppo. Or do you mean a better quality sound rather than bit rate?

Tidal, yes you can use your phone, some phones are able to decode MQA at least the first unfold.

Annoyingly, not all AVRs use the subwoofer in stereo mode and some you can't turn the sub off depends on the brand. I've hand many a problem with this, and Rel's high level connection will need clarification before using not all class D (digital based) amps like to be connected like this and can cause damage, pioneer and their ice modules for example. Check with the manufacturer first. Also won't be of benefit if the speaker don't receive the full signal in stereo mode (most likely will) but look to your user manual first.
Odd, that's not what was said in reviews, teach me not to read the manual because I have one in a cupboard somewhere.
But you're correct, Tidal is the issue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts