Question Setting up two PCs with the same inputs.

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd be most grateful if you could help with a potential set up issue, relating to two PCs using the same inputs.

My wife has a Lenovo laptop and a Surface Pro 6. The laptop has a USB C connection, so it's easy to run a single monitor, mouse, keyboard and power, through that alone.

She also has the need of a USB webcam and headset.

I'm trying to find a technical solution that allows all these peripherals to be shared with her Surface Pro. Straight away I appear to have become unstuck, because this does not use a USB C but a mini display port. She was fine with unplugging the USB C between both machines, but that doesn't work.

Instead, I have the laptop with the USB C plugged in to the monitor, the mini display port also plugged in and getting her to manually switch between connections. To support all the other inputs, I'm using a USB hub. So the mouse, keyboard, webcam, and headset plug in to single USB. She has to unplug / plug the USB and then switch the feed of the input, dependant on which machine she needs to use.

Is there a cleaner way to set this up?

Just to add to the confusion, I was looking at whether I could set up a dual monitor setup for her. Again, possible on the USB C scenario but not for the Surface Pro. I'm guessing also that I'll need to buy a newer monitor to support that. The secondary one has an HDMI input, but I think a USB C to HDMI won't provide that added functionality that USB C to USB C does.

I've tried to add a PDF example file but, alas, I'm unable to.

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a good thought. Thank you. Last PC forum I was on was from PC Format magazine, which has been defunct for a number of years.

Nonetheless, if anyone has any thoughts they'd be warmly welcomed.

Vincent Kars

Maybe a single external monitor will do the job.

I bought my wife a HP E243m Elite display.
One laptop is connected over Display port, the other by HDMI.
The HP detects the active connection (if both are laptops on, you have to switch manual).

The display also has a webcam and usb ports for e.g. keyboard and mouse.
So to get the USB part to work, she only has to put the USB cable from the display into the appropriate laptop.

I can confirm your findings, protocols like HDMI, Display port, etc are video only.
You need an additional USB connection for the peripherals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts