Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 .. couple of questions

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
My trusty 25+ year-old Sennheiser HD250 Linear headphones are starting to give me one or two problems, so I'm seriously considering replacing them with the Momentum 2.0's that have been so well reviewed the past year or two.

The What Hi*Fi? review describes them well and praises them highly. However, there are a few things that are mentioned of which I don't quite understand the relevance to my intended real world usage, therefore I'd really appreciate some input from anyone who cares to help.

There is mention of 'portability' .. do people really use this quality of hi-fi headphones when out and about?

There is also mention of an 'in-line remote', but I'm not sure what that might be for.

They come with a 3.5mm jack rather than the more traditional 6.0mm; presumably I'd need an adaptor to use them with my system? Would that affect the sound quality in any way?

They say they come in two guises, AEi for iPhone users and AEG for 'everyone else'. How would I know which one to order, as I don't have a mobile phone, or any other 'devices' for that matter?

Apparently the cable that used to come from the left phone now exits from the right hand side. My current headphones have a cable coming out of both sides; is there any significance?

I use my headphones for about an hour or two every night, coupled to my hi-fi amplifier. I don't envisage using them in any other way. I really like Sennheiser and I only want a closed back design; my belief is that the Momentum 2.0's will be the perfect upgrade from my old HD250's, as long as I can be sure that they're right for my particular usage.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Rupert said:
My trusty 25+ year-old Sennheiser HD250 Linear headphones are starting to give me one or two problems, so I'm seriously considering replacing them with the Momentum 2.0's that have been so well reviewed the past year or two.

The What Hi*Fi? review describes them well and praises them highly. However, there are a few things that are mentioned of which I don't quite understand the relevance to my intended real world usage, therefore I'd really appreciate some input from anyone who cares to help.

There is mention of 'portability' .. do people really use this quality of hi-fi headphones when out and about?

There is also mention of an 'in-line remote', but I'm not sure what that might be for.

They come with a 3.5mm jack rather than the more traditional 6.0mm; presumably I'd need an adaptor to use them with my system? Would that affect the sound quality in any way?

They say they come in two guises, AEi for iPhone users and AEG for 'everyone else'. How would I know which one to order, as I don't have a mobile phone, or any other 'devices' for that matter?

Apparently the cable that used to come from the left phone now exits from the right hand side. My current headphones have a cable coming out of both sides; is there any significance?

I use my headphones for about an hour or two every night, coupled to my hi-fi amplifier. I don't envisage using them in any other way. I really like Sennheiser and I only want a closed back design; my belief is that the Momentum 2.0's will be the perfect upgrade from my old HD250's, as long as I can be sure that they're right for my particular usage.

They should come with the 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm adapter, so no worries there. The single side cable feeds the signal to the other earcup across the headband.

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks dalethorn. In the interim, I have spoken with the Sennheiser spares department in Woking (I needed to order a new audio cable for my HD250s anyway) and whilst I was chatting to him he gave me the impression that, if I prefer a neutral (?flat) sound - as is the case with the HD250s - I may find the Momentum 2.0s rather heavy on top and bass. He says this is because they are more geared up to younger listeners who tend to play MP3s etc. from their iPod or phone. He may have a point?

I've since read a series of good reviews of the Shure SHR 1540 and am currently rather tempted. The reviewer said that, to get the best from them, a separate headphone amp (?Dac something or another?) would be desirable. I don't have one of those, but presumably if the phones were plugged straight into the headphone socket of my Marantz 7200 amplifier, the results would still be fine, right?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Rupert said:
Thanks dalethorn. In the interim, I have spoken with the Sennheiser spares department in Woking (I needed to order a new audio cable for my HD250s anyway) and whilst I was chatting to him he gave me the impression that, if I prefer a neutral (?flat) sound - as is the case with the HD250s - I may find the Momentum 2.0s rather heavy on top and bass. He says this is because they are more geared up to younger listeners who tend to play MP3s etc. from their iPod or phone. He may have a point?

I've since read a series of good reviews of the Shure SHR 1540 and am currently rather tempted. The reviewer said that, to get the best from them, a separate headphone amp (?Dac something or another?) would be desirable. I don't have one of those, but presumably if the phones were plugged straight into the headphone socket of my Marantz 7200 amplifier, the results would still be fine, right?

The Marantz would drive the SRH-1540 just fine. It's a good headphone, but tuned much darker than the Shure 940/1440/1840. If you're used to an accurate sound, like the Stax SR009 or the Sennheiser HD800 but with a smidgen less treble, the 1540 is even darker than that. Most people love the sound, but for me I can't be sure now because it's been a few years since I evaluated them, before I had a testing program in place. You might find the 1540 to be near perfect, but no way to know. If you get it, I will be VERY interested in your take on its sound.

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again dalethorn .. I'm not really sure what you mean by the term 'darker' - it's not a word I've heard used before in an audiophile sense. By the way, the HD-800 and Stax SR009 are both open-back phones, so not really relevant to my requirements.

I've decided for the time being to replace worn-out parts on my HD 250s (new audio cable coming tomorrow, replacement earpads still looking) whilst I locate a good hi-fi outlet where I can listen to a few current phones within my budget.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Rupert said:
Thanks again dalethorn .. I'm not really sure what you mean by the term 'darker' - it's not a word I've heard used before in an audiophile sense. By the way, the HD-800 and Stax SR009 are both open-back phones, so not really relevant to my requirements.

I've decided for the time being to replace worn-out parts on my HD 250s (new audio cable coming tomorrow, replacement earpads still looking) whilst I locate a good hi-fi outlet where I can listen to a few current phones within my budget.

Yeah, darker can mean different things. In the 1540's case it would be less output in the upper treble and more output in the upper bass. I'm OK with more bass if it's more at 30 hz through 100 hz, but usually it's just the upper bass. And I'm OK with less treble if it's less overall, and not a rolloff below 10 khz.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm pleased to hear the comments from Sennheiser regarding the Momentum 2.0. I had the same impression when using them on several occasions, but the What HiFi review claims a "Beautifully detailed, balanced and full-bodied sound" which was not my impression at all.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I realise this may not help, but I have the momentoms and prefer my HD600's, I realise the comparisons is closed and open backed, but he momentums are as described previously and I always return to the 600's. In fact of all my cans I always return to them.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Matte said:
I realise this may not help, but I have the momentoms and prefer my HD600's, I realise the comparisons is closed and open backed, but he momentums are as described previously and I always return to the 600's. In fact of all my cans I always return to them.

The HD600 is one of the most neutral headphones out there, but today most erstwhile audiophiles prefer slightly less treble and a bit more bass. Of course that preference depends a lot on the music you listen to.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a ~20 year old HD600 which needs new cable, ear pads and headband padding, costing £75 or so. I'm wondering if it is worth spending the money given your comments. My memory of them is of a rather light sound. What would be the cheapest similar quality open headphone with a more realistic bass (but not exaggerated as per the current trend)?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Leif said:
I have a ~20 year old HD600 which needs new cable, ear pads and headband padding, costing £75 or so. I'm wondering if it is worth spending the money given your comments. My memory of them is of a rather light sound. What would be the cheapest similar quality open headphone with a more realistic bass (but not exaggerated as per the current trend)?

AKG K712.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Leif said:

AKG K712.

Thank you.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Leif said:
dalethorn said:
Leif said:

AKG K712.

Thank you.

In the end I decided to refurbish the HD600 with new ear pads, cable and headband pad and acquire a Chord Mojo. The result is really quite astonishing. Sure they don't have quite the heavy bass some might like, but the sound is remarkably clear and detailed, they are gorgeous with classical, folk and jazz, and decent with rock. I think the main problem I had with them is that they take a lot of power to drive them, and an iPod/iPhone on its own is insufficient. The Chord Mojo adds more power, and massively improves on the Apple DACs. The sound is far superior to the B&W P9 I tried, albeit with no Chord Mojo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts