Securing speakers to stands??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

As the title suggests, what is the best way to secure my speakers to the stands.

Obviously I don't want to damage them but am worried if the stand gets knocked there is a chance the speaker could topple off (I might cry at this point!! :cry: )

Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
UK Blu Tak . . . use 4 small blobs about the size of a Birds Eye pea (even smaller can work SQ wonders with good stands?) . . . anything larger or more blobs can muddy the sound? To remove the speaker, twist the cabinet on its vertical axis, any other way could damage the veneer.

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Great...

Thanks for your blu tac pearls of wisdom - never really thought of that.

A

Anonymous

Yep, blu tac is the king. Ignore any silly comments about SQ differences between differing amounts... Just use common sense.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I use three in an attempt to provide an almost-certainly-unfounded 'tripod' effect...

Aaah.... But it is founded John. Read up on Russ Andrews piece on micro-rocking, which is not a piece about dwarves in a Status Quo covers band.

FWIW, I use 3 spikes on the top of my stands for the exact same reason.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Big Chris said:
John Duncan said:
I use three in an attempt to provide an almost-certainly-unfounded 'tripod' effect...

Aaah.... But it is founded John. Read up on Russ Andrews piece on micro-rocking, which is not a piece about dwarves in a Status Quo covers band.

FWIW, I use 3 spikes on the top of my stands for the exact same reason.

Mmm . . . spikes, 3 makes sense . . . but Blu-Tak, why? it is self leveling under compression and then sticks, 4 is much more secure? We wont get into the whys and wherefores of spikes v Blu-Tak . . . :wall:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
imajical said:
Yep, blu tac is the king. Ignore any silly comments about SQ differences between differing amounts... Just use common sense.

Silly comments?:? . . . it can work on the right stand, I had 15 years of developing and making them. However, as there are few stands capable of revealing such 'performance' these days, stick with 4 peas size blobs of genuine Blu-Tak.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:
Well,how about those little sticky rubber pads that are being supplied with the speakers . Are they good enough, or BlueT. is the better way ?

Thanks

Never tried them . . . but my reaction; have the speaker manufacturers thought this one through? if they 'stick!!', how easy is it to move/remove the speakers? . . . are the sticky pads re usable? and if you forget and put the speaker on the carpet or wood floor, there may be other issues, like non sticky, sticky pads, or marked wooden floor, if you can get them off? At least Blu-Tack is re usable or disposable and easily replaceable, I have Blu-Tack 20 years old that I still use.

Thats with out my reservation on sticky/soft pads in conjunction with hifi items and how it affects the sound . . . as I say, not heard/tried them so these are simply my thoughts.

There have, over the years, been all sorts of 'reinventing the wheel' options where speaker attachment to stands are concerned. They all come back to the inverted spike, Blu-Tak option in the end:?

CJSF

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I use my stand-mounts on Atacama Nexus 6i . The stands came with 4 rubber pads for each stand that you stick on to the top surface of the stand. As those rubber pads are quite big now there is about 1 cm gap between the bottom of the speaker and the stand, but the rubber grips them quite well.I don`t know if this affects the sound , but I use them as rears so it doesn`t really matter i suppose. Only once I gave them a try as front speakers and they sounded brilliant to my ears..

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:
Well I use my stand-mounts on Atacama Nexus 6i . The stands came with 4 rubber pads for each stand that you stick on to the top surface of the stand. As those rubber pads are quite big now there is about 1 cm gap between the bottom of the speaker and the stand, but the rubber grips them quite well.I don`t know if this affects the sound , but I use them as rears so it doesn`t really matter i suppose. Only once I gave them a try as front speakers and they sounded brilliant to my ears..

So you are say they are 'not sticky' both sides? . . . :?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Jonesy1,

There once was a thing called 'black-tac' which was more sticky than the blu but I am not sure if it is still available. If the location is particularly prone to the stands being knocked into then I would use (do and have) the black semi-solid strips that windscreen companies use to fit replacement windscreens. It will really lock your speakers down on to the stands.

Micro-rocking aside, I use three point contact because primarily I have found it to be better than 4, or more, point contact in all other aspects of hi-fi equipment support. Also tens of millions of photo tripod uses over more than a century can't be wrong, even discounting use on unlevel ground.

Trusting that I have helped, without incurring the ire of the nay-sayers of three point support.

Good luck.

davidlu

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
>) As usual the miniscule sonic differences that can only be measured by instruments are brought in.

The speakers and stands will still be top heavy. If the stands have fixing holes in the base (Usually cheapo versions) then screw them down. No need to complicate matters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts