second hand Krell KAV-400xi ?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

All my system components are mention in my signature bellow . My speakers are Proac Studio 140MK2 .

What Do you mean "nice amp" - isn't it good enough ?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally I’d say tread with caution, just what is a bargain price? If it really is a bargain you could sell it on if you don’t like it and you’ve got a good price if you do. There is definitely demand for the 400 as it was an amp I tracked for a while before going another direction.

It has plenty of slam and in quite a modest sized package but just be aware that this amp can divide opinion and I found it wasn’t for me. I found it almost aggressively forward, shouty at times but some will have a different adjective to describe the same attributes as their personal taste with view them as a positive quality.

Unless you are familiar with the Krell sound I would try and listen to this amp before you commit and also carefully consider the synergy with the rest of your kit.

There is no doubting this is a quality amp and they seem to be very well built and can handle even the most demanding speakers.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Your speakers have a 3.2ohm minimum impedance. If you plan to play your music very loud regularly, this might be a problem for the Krell, because it is only rated to 4 ohms.

I had trouble with the Kav300iL driving some B&W N803's which dip to around 3.2ohms also. It was fine at normal listening levels, but for extended high volume listening, the amp got red hot and blew the speaker output fuses.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
If you can get it for less than 750 and its in A1 condition id say go for it. Much as i love my naim pre powers, i always regretted buying one when i had the chance.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
If you can get it for less than 750 and its in A1 condition id say go for it. Much as i love my naim pre powers, i always regretted buying one when i had the chance.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
If you can get it for less than 750 and its in A1 condition id say go for it. Much as i love my naim pre powers, i always regretted not buying one when i had the chance.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I can buy it for 1K from a dealer , I didnt check it phisicaly yet but I can do that . I am certenly worry that my speaker rated as 4 ohm min 3.2 will not be a good match , I read at Streophile website that the Krell can go very hot and the ventilation is a weak point on this amp .

I am realy confused ...

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I thought you said you could buy it at a bargain price. Not a slightly-under-the-going-rate price. I was thinking you'd seen one for sale for 500 quid or so.

T

the record spot

Compared to what Krell normally goes for, £1000 probably constitutes a bargain. That said, the OP should demo this before parting with the cash. Really need to be sitting down in front of this thing for an hour or two, ideally with your own speakers if you can.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well they go for about that on ebay so seems about right price wise, dpends on condition and what warranty you get. If it is from a hifi dealer then go and hear it for a few hours or even home demo?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Keep an eye out for a used Krell FPB200. It's a monster of a power amp. Rated at 200watts like the 400xi, but a completely different beast. Totally unflappable performance.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I can buy a Krell KAV-400xi for £1100, but not from a dealer. Is this still a reasonable price and would this be an upgrade for my current Cyrus 6XP - X Power setup? Speakers are the KEF LS50.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts