Question Rookie choice - rank these amps!

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
Ok, so I'm looking for a second hand amp and the following have come up within my (meagre) price range.

How would you rank them (and, even better, why)?

1. Denon PMA 510 AE
2. Marantz PM6010
3. Cambridge Audio A5

Will be mainly using with turntable and computer.

Thanks!

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
I think you should clarify what speakers you will be using....they will have a much greater impact on sound than Turntable & computer.
Thanks, good point. I'm actually building a system from scratch so have an open mind re speakers. Just looking for a solid amp in the first instance, and taking it from there...

Ok, so I'm looking for a second hand amp and the following have come up within my (meagre) price range.

How would you rank them (and, even better, why)?

1. Denon PMA 510 AE
2. Marantz PM6010
3. Cambridge Audio A5

Will be mainly using with turntable and computer.

Thanks!
i would dismiss the Cambridge A5 unless you are sure it has the optional phono stage fitted....

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
i would dismiss the Cambridge A5 unless you are sure it has the optional phono stage fitted....
Ah thanks - this is a rookie question, sorry, but if I get a relatively cheap preamp, will that solve the problem? Or would it degrade the sound quality to such an extent that it's not worth it?

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
These are all very helpful and reasonable replies, but I was expecting stronger opinions! Hit me with your kneejerk reactions! Or perhaps they all suck equally 😂

These are all very helpful and reasonable replies, but I was expecting stronger opinions! Hit me with your kneejerk reactions! Or perhaps they all suck equally 😂
They are all old amps, probably from the eighties, they may have issues so unless you can actually listen to them I would avoid.
What is your budget and where did you get these amps from?

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
They are all old amps, probably from the eighties, they may have issues so unless you can actually listen to them I would avoid.
What is your budget and where did you get these amps from?
Cool, thanks. They are all potential eBay bids. All going for around £75.

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
Which turntable? I ask because some contain the necessary phono preamplifier.

And what will you listen to from the computer?
It's a Technics without a phono preamp - at the moment I use a cheap £20 thing.

In terms of the computer, I'd be streaming all sorts - lots of jangly guitar music...

Reactions: Gray
If you can get one in good condition, I’d choose the 50 watt Marantz from those you list. I’ve got a Marantz dating from 1993/4 and it still works, though it needs a service. The PM6010 is almost ten years newer and worth a punt. A cheap example with no remote for £65.

However, the Denon is another ten years newer, 2009-12, so is likely to benefit from being more recently made. It’s fractionally less powerful at 45 watts, which isn't significant. The condition and the credibility of the seller would be relevant too.
I think they both had remote control, so knock off something if it’s missing.

I‘m less keen on older Cambridge and the phono board was an option. It doesn’t seem to include a remote though is reportedly quite well made. 60 watts per channel.

Reactions: WayneKerr

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
If you can get one in good condition, I’d choose the 50 watt Marantz from those you list. I’ve got a Marantz dating from 1993/4 and it still works, though it needs a service. The PM6010 is almost ten years newer and worth a punt. A cheap example with no remote for £65.

However, the Denon is another ten years newer, 2009-12, so is likely to benefit from being more recently made. It’s fractionally less powerful at 45 watts, which isn't significant. The condition and the credibility of the seller would be relevant too.
I think they both had remote control, so knock off something if it’s missing.

I‘m less keen on older Cambridge and the phono board was an option. It doesn’t seem to include a remote though is reportedly quite well made. 60 watts per channel.
Thanks, this is really helpful.

The Marantz I'm looking for is from 1999, and going for marginally more than the Denon (subject to a bit of haggling).

Reactions: nopiano

matthewpianist

It would need checking, it came out in the eighties.
I don't think you can take it as written that all Denon amplifiers are good ones unless you can use it.
If I were you I would be looking for something as modern as your budget allows.

The 'Advanced Evolution' range didn't come out in the 80s, it was around 2010, and was the range before the current 'NE' one. They-re good, solid amps and would be my choice out of those mentioned.

Reactions: Al ears

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
Great, thanks all. I've just picked up the Denon for £50, which was a bit of a bargain. Will let you know how I get on.

Not to repurpose the thread, but for speakers I'm looking at a pair of B&W DM602 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, both of which are available for about £100. Would be interested in your thoughts on those, or other suitable speakers in that price range.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts