Question Rookie choice - rank these amps!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Great, thanks all. I've just picked up the Denon for £50, which was a bit of a bargain. Will let you know how I get on.

Not to repurpose the thread, but for speakers I'm looking at a pair of B&W DM602 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, both of which are available for about £100. Would be interested in your thoughts on those, or other suitable speakers in that price range.
Nothing a t all wrong with those Wharfedales, my brother owns a pair.
Again with all speakers its how they work in your particular room.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Great, thanks all. I've just picked up the Denon for £50, which was a bit of a bargain. Will let you know how I get on.

Not to repurpose the thread, but for speakers I'm looking at a pair of B&W DM602 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, both of which are available for about £100. Would be interested in your thoughts on those, or other suitable speakers in that price range.
I had a pair of B&W 602 S3. They're quite large for a stand mount speaker but they are a wonderful sounding speaker for the money. I still remember those speakers with fondness. I might be biased because I particularly like B&W speakers.

Reactions: Al ears
I think you should clarify what speakers you will be using....they will have a much greater impact on sound than Turntable & computer.
Except, you are used to them sounding a given way. I have a pair of KEF Cressida a pair of Tannoy Studio 10s A pair of Goodmans Maxim II and each has it's own particular sound, I get used to. If your source is flat, your amp linear and you listen every day to different speakers, you make allowances. There isn't a flat earthers system that is right. and advice to buy what you have, is rubbing oil on your ego, because you bought the right thing. I got rid of my expensive stuff, and was left with the dregs. For the first time, I listen to the music!

Ah, well at £50 you got a bargain, assuming it works ok! Congratulations.

Buying gear that is quite old is always going to be a bit of a gamble. Hopefully everything works out for you and you get a bargain basement hifi. I’ve done it myself in the past and everything I bought worked fine, all apart from a Dual turntable that I bought for £30 on eBay. You live and learn. The best stuff I bought used was Arcam. Brilliant sound per pound.

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys, just want to say thanks for your advice. I've hooked up the Denon to a pair of B&W DM601s and it's sounding pretty good to me.

One final question!

I have an AE Aego M system (my former listening apparatus) with a subwoofer. Does it make any sense to run the sound from the Denon amp into the sub, and then run the B&W speakers from the sub? Or would it be better to run sound directly from the amp to the speakers?

I guess I'm thinking the former might involve too many layers of processing or something, but I'm no expert! (I tried running sub and speakers out of the amp but ran into power problems...)

hejira

Oct 28, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys, just want to say thanks for your advice. I've hooked up the Denon to a pair of B&W DM601s and it's sounding pretty good to me.

One final question!

I have an AE Aego M system (my former listening apparatus) with a subwoofer. Does it make any sense to run the sound from the Denon amp into the sub, and then run the B&W speakers from the sub? Or would it be better to run sound directly from the amp to the speakers?

I guess I'm thinking the former might involve too many layers of processing or something, but I'm no expert! (I tried running sub and speakers out of the amp but ran into power problems...)
The obvious answer is to compare the two setups but I find it difficult to be objective about these things!

TRENDING THREADS