Second 50GT50 buzzes with bright content.....how frustrating.....

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
So, second set is the same, maybe even a little louder....

yes I get that it takes more power to display a bright screen, and I do have the tv in a very quiet room, but I still find it hard to believe that the makers can't fix this....or that the majority of owners can't hear it, or that all the reviewers either ignore it or also can't hear it....

do I swap again, wait for the GT60, or live with it, or is there a way of making it quieter? The tv is on a stand about 20cm from a wall....

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
So, second set is the same, maybe even a little louder....

yes I get that it takes more power to display a bright screen, and I do have the tv in a very quiet room, but I still find it hard to believe that the makers can't fix this....or that the majority of owners can't hear it, or that all the reviewers either ignore it or also can't hear it....

do I swap again, wait for the GT60, or live with it, or is there a way of making it quieter? The tv is on a stand about 20cm from a wall....

Twist!
smiley-smile.gif
One review does mention the buzzing. It took me three attempts to get a quiet one! Good luck.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mine doesn't buzz, or I've never heard it anyway. All plasmas buzz, but I've had 3, and I've never had the tv so quiet that I've heard it.

They say the further from a wall the better, so if you could move it bit further from the wall, it may improve.

Any DSE?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Gel: twist I shall....can't live with it I don't think...

BBB: not looked for that yet....just set up today so maybe watch the match tomorrow and see....will report back if I see any.....

unable to move further away from wall....but would some kind of sound absorbing material on the wall work? Is there such a thing?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Mine buzzes a bit, but it's only audible on anything approaching a pure white screen at very low volume levels. I don't regard this minor buzzing as a deal breaker, though I can't say how my GT50 compares with yours. I also think any buzzing has decreased as the TV has slowly bedded in.

Bedding in doesn't reduce the dirty screen effect, though; in my experience, it gets more pronounced with time.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
Gel: twist I shall....can't live with it I don't think...

BBB: not looked for that yet....just set up today so maybe watch the match tomorrow and see....will report back if I see any.....

unable to move further away from wall....but would some kind of sound absorbing material on the wall work? Is there such a thing?

Acoustic panels will help. You'll have to decide whether they're an acceptable living room design statement.

Nick_Shepherd said:

People have used noise absorbing things like blankets behind the TV with good results.

These may help:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7641040_stop-plasma-tv-buzzing.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_10015488_reduce-plasma-tv-buzz.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/878642-panasonic-plasma-buzz-fix.html

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
beleve it or not it can be to do with placement and room acoustics the same as speakers.

Pioneer told me this when I first got my LX5090 and I thought it was cods wallop.

My set used to buzz loud and was clearly audible in quiet parts of films - now its up on the wall and my room acosutics are much better and there is no buzzing at all - I mean literally none

I think it echos and makes it louder - hence why some people dont hear it and others do but all sets do it. If its near glass or windows or such like or in a hollow room with minimal sound absoprtion from sofas etc it makes it worse.

I dont know this to be true exclusively but it is my experience with the LX5090

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Ellisdj:

so do you think it's quiter closer to a wall?

i wonder how many people with no buzz (that's loud enough that is) have the tv wall mounted?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Nick_Shepherd said:
i wonder how many people with no buzz (that's loud enough that is) have the tv wall mounted

:hand:

Agreed, whoa there. A few posts from now we'll be stuffing cushions behind our plasma TVs to assess their noise dampening abilities.

If you've been bothered by buzzing with two plasma TVs, you'll likely be irritated by the same problem with others.

How serious is the buzzing? Can you only hear it on a full white screen, or does it constantly intrude on viewing?

If it's the former, I'd guess the buzzing is pretty normal. This will reduce a little with time (at least that's been my experience with four Panasonic plasma TVs).

If it's the latter, this may indicate a more serious problem.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
It's with bright scenes, all white scenes are loudest and its also is the same with tennis and a bit less with football.....and I do have extremely sensitive hearing....but I still find it sad that they can't fix it, it's is rubbish that you can't watch at a volume of 20 to 25 without the hearing the buzz over the sound....

i may wait for a GT60 as I'm sure all GT50 are much the same.....if the 60 is the same then what more can I do other than try and dampen the buzz in sme way but at least I will then know its my only option....

strapped: what does DSE look like? Does it effect people's faces? While watching Avengers (sky HD) many faces looked sunburned or lacking detail? Not when close up though...?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
strapped: what does DSE look like? Does it effect people's faces? While watching Avengers (sky HD) many faces looked sunburned or lacking detail? Not when close up though...?

What you're describing isn't DSE; it might be dynamic false contouring (people's faces break up into green or purple contours during pans). Dynamic false contouring is a problem with all plasma televisions (like line bleed), but I find it less disturbing than LCD/LED motion problems.

The dirty screen effect manifests on the GT50 as vertical (slightly ragged) columns of lighter and darker colour gradation, typically across the right hand side of the screen. If you're watching the football right now, watch the right of the screen during camera pans. If your TV is affected, this will show the problem up.

You can also go into the software update screen and check whether grey is uniform across the panel. A full grey slide will show this up more clearly, if you download one and put it on screen via USB.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
DSE on GT50 number three. It looks a bit milder at the moment, but I thought that about GT50 number two and it became more visible after 150-200 hours use. I'll see how the latest replacement goes for a few weeks, but experience has taught me not to expect improvement.

Unless it's absurdly expensive, my next TV's a Samsung 51F8500...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
At this point I'm not even that annoyed. I had little hope my third GT50 would be better. A day's viewing confirmed what I expected.

I can see no point in arranging another replacement. I'll see what happens with this year's TVs in terms of pricing, availability and performance.

John Lewis gets the thumbs up again. Really courteous and helpful delivery drivers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nick_Shepherd said:
Is a green 'ish' tint to people faces bad or just a settings thing?

It's a settings thing, try Strapped's settings here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/for-bbb-gel-and-other-gt50-owners

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
DSE on GT50 number three. It looks a bit milder at the moment, but I thought that about GT50 number two and it became more visible after 150-200 hours use. I'll see how the latest replacement goes for a few weeks, but experience has taught me not to expect improvement.

Unless it's absurdly expensive, my next TV's a Samsung 51F8500...

:doh: Sorry mate, thats not good news at all. Out of interest which mode/calibration do you use? Maybe its worse for some and not others because they are using a different setting?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts