ScreenPlay 4805 worth a go for my first projector?

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I ha've been given the opportunity to purchase a screenplay 4805 projector on the cheap - £150. My question is would it be a worthwhile purchase into projector vieiwng? I realise its 480p and this will mean picture quality suffers compared to modern day HD equivalents, but in real terms will it look naff, and will my HD ready TV (40inch) looks light years better? I have a large room so am thinking a projector would be the way to go as to have my 5.1 system in the ideal position I would need a much bigger screen, which this may give me a stop gap to do until I can afford to upgrade to a new model. I am planning on going to have a look, but if people are of the opinion it will be a dissapointment I may reconsider. Your thoughts/views will be greatly appreciated.

abacus

The 4805 was discontinued a number of years ago, however when in production it was highly rated by What Hi Fi, and I also owned one for over 5 years (Chosen new after comparison with others) and it gave a nice clear 3 dimensional looking picture.

Compared to modern projectors it does not have the brightness or pin sharp picture of HD, (It’s also noisier than new projectors) but for a starter it will probably be ok providing the lamp is ok and has plenty of hours use left. (A lamp replacement will probably cost you more than £150)

Hope this helps

Bill

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bill, lamp has under 1000hrs use so has fair bit of life left in it so I have been told.

Shall pop round and have a look at it over the weekend I think and see how it looks. The chap also has a new HD projector do hopefully get a look at that in actin to compare. My funds are on the low side aide at the moment so this could be the ideal stop gap until I can afford a nice sparkly new one.

TRENDING THREADS