Sansui AU-999

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Well ive decided to take a shot at some vintage kit. Ive wanted a Sansui amplifier for a long time. So i have just bought a AU-999. Just wondering if anyone here can offer some info on maintaining and looking after this amp. Any opinions on this model ? I know there are some other Sansui fans here, so i would love to hear what they think.

Thanks.

matthewpiano

One of the best integrateds Sansui ever made. Period. Musical, beguiling, involving.....

I'd recommend finding someone to give it a good service checking for any of the infamous Sansui glue residue (which should be cleaned off), corroded caps etc. The AU-999 is one of the toughest of all Sansui amps so with a service every now and then there is no reason why it shouldn't go on and on and on.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Wow, i had no idea it was that good ! I was lucky being in the right place at the right time to find it.

I have found someone online who services vintage kit, so once i get the amp and enjoy it for a while (a long while !) then i will send it off for them to have a good look at under the bonnet. I have already ordered some Russ Andrews spring clip adaptors.

Cheers.

T

the record spot

Fine amp, up there with the best of the late 1970s stuff, higher end 17 series and 19 series gear. Can't go wrong. Good call.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Record Spot. As soon as i put a few listening hours under my belt i will post my opinions. Its certainly a big black hulk of an amp ! Looking forward to getting the AU-999 now.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
sthomas048:

Hello all,

Well ive decided to take a shot at some vintage kit. Ive wanted a Sansui amplifier for a long time. So i have just bought a AU-999. Just wondering if anyone here can offer some info on maintaining and looking after this amp. Any opinions on this model ? I know there are some other Sansui fans here, so i would love to hear what they think.

Thanks.

Was that the big brute i saw on Ebay??

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

i have a bit of a sansui collection a au2200 au217 au101 and a au417 tu 217 and a 190 cd player.so if you have any problems and i dont think you will.let me know and ill try to help.its a very good amp

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. B&W seem to be the speaker that every other Sansui owner has, which is good because i have a pair of B&W too ! I can see me getting well into vintage kit. See how the AU-999 performs, then next up may be a vintage turntable.

T

the record spot

Not this one! The 717 is mind-bogglingly good with the Mission 752 and I'd imagine quite a few other speakers. The 999 should be no different in terms of its abilities, so I expect you'll find it works with quite a lot of brands. Either way, you've landed a good amp there, so I'd splash £100 or so in having it serviced by a reputable guy - if you've not already done so - and take it from there. Enjoy!

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that is the plan - ive found this guy who services vintage amplfiers. This is what his service for £90 includes -

"an
internal clean, all switch contacts and rotary control contacts
cleaned, RCA barrels cleaned, external clean if needed. If there are no
stated faults, we will carry out a full component check including
well-known failure areas for potential faults. After replacing any OT
components, we do a full interstage dc balance and output stage bias
re-alignment followed by a frequency response and distortion test. The
amplifier is then soak tested for 24-48 hrs and a PAT is performed. If
any un-toward faults occur during the soak test these are corrected and a
further soak test is applied.
"

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Can someone explain how an amplifier from the 60s sounds this good ? Crystalline and smooth treble, rich and natural midrange and the most deep and musical bass ive heard in my system. Smooth. Plus my soundstage niggles have all but disappeared. Listening to all my cds now (as you do when you buy a new amp) and the Sansui sounds so musical and fun with my Linn Genki !

Im impressed can you tell ?

Luc77

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree that AU 999 is one of The best transistors amp's i have ever heard. It is 2014 y and this is not a joke ...I am na audiophile but Sansui au 999 is a fantastic Amp ... I have it In original conditions with Hitachi transistors and ELNA capacitors which keep their original parameters !!!!

fantastic Hi End Amp which give enough power to difficult speakers . Just connect it to Modern Tannoys , Dynaudio , Audiovector and you will be highly surprise !

TRENDING THREADS