Samsung UE46F8000

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off topic here guys. 46F8000 arrived from JL last week and I've patiently been waiting for the Samsung WMN250M mini wall bracket to arrive. It landed yesterday (well I thought it did) after opening the packaging and contents I discovered that I'd been sent the WMN350M instead. Packaging and product appears to be more or less identical to the 250M albeit the instructions state you can't fix the F8000 at the closest position to the wall 17mm. Instead it states you have to fix it 40mm away using spacers provided with the tv. Before purchasing I read lots of reviews about the 250M kit which people claim to have used at the 17mm close fit. Ie without the spacers. I tried to not use the spacers with this kit but the screws are too big for the back of the tv which forces you to use the spacers!!

What wall mounts have you guys used for this TV? I'm trying to get a close fit but need to be careful because my cable access point and switch fuse spur are located in the centre of where the tv will be positioned on the wall I between the camera and the deep section on the bottom half of the tv.

Also I thought the tv was VESA 400 x 400. The wall mount template shows it as 200x200??? Anyone confirm this?

thanks Darren

lynne24

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My mum's still having trouble with this John Lewos price match! Really envious of all you people on here who seem to have had not rouble. John Lewis claim they emailed us a price match on our original application at £1217 plus £30 delivery the day after on the 25th November. I've checked through all the emails and we never received such an email. My mum has the reference number for it but no email. She wanted to go in-store and buy at that price today. They say she must pay the full £1499 over the phone and wait for a refund of the difference. She isn't able to pay the full amount. I've told her to ask them to re-send the email again but she's starting to feel like she's had enough of all the hassle! She isn't well and could do with a little co-operation from them. Surely she should just be able to go in-store with her reference number and buy at the lower price?! It complicates it that the individual stores do not seem to correspond with their Head Office who make the actual price match offers. Shame if she ends up paying more or getting a lower quality tv simply because of bad customer service from John Lewis. Expected better given their good reputation and the experience of people on here.

lynne24

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Update - Think we're finally sorted! My mum finally got through to someone at jl.com who knew what they were talking about! They confirmed the price match at £1217 plus £30 delivery and say she can go in-store and pay that price not the higher price. She just needs her reference number not the email. She can even pay the lower price over the phone unless she wants to pay using two cards in which case she needs to go in store. Think she's going in one day this week to buy it. John Lewis came up trumps in the end thank goodness!

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Had the TV a few weeks now and it really is a fantastic tv. Unfortunately I've had a few random issues with it. Wondering if anyone has experienced them and can offer any advice before I contact JL.

1) The voice activation has randomly activated itself whilst we've been watching a programme. The icon appeared on screen and then actually switched programmes without being prompted.

2) On another occasion the tv actually turned itself off without being prompted. This has only happened once.

Any comments?

Thanks

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Dinglebin said:
Had the TV a few weeks now and it really is a fantastic tv. Unfortunately I've had a few random issues with it. Wondering if anyone has experienced them and can offer any advice before I contact JL.

1) The voice activation has randomly activated itself whilst we've been watching a programme. The icon appeared on screen and then actually switched programmes without being prompted.

2) On another occasion the tv actually turned itself off without being prompted. This has only happened once.

Any comments?

Thanks

is your tv connected to an amp at all? I think oldboy (another member) had similar issues and it was to do with the amp and tv i think and he had to turn something off on the amp. I could be wrong but he might have an idea for you

Markfj1200

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Dinglebin said:

Any comments?

Thanks

I have had my TV up and running for a few days now, still getting to know all the menu's and options etc. but agree it is a great TV.

As regards your Voice Control issues, as "Rocket" says above, "oldboy" had similar problems - see his post reply No3 at the very beginning of this thread. Note the Manual does warn that when Voice control is on "the TV can turn on automatically due to an environmental input"! So I presume it can turn off in the same way as on. By "environmental input" I take it to mean noise from the TV speaker (or other speakers running).

Try performing a Voice Recognition Environment Test again (see E-manual/Smart features/Voice control), or switching the "Trigger word" from "Hi TV" to "Smart TV" under the menu. That might help, although I don't think it allows you to programme your own obscure trigger word instead which would have been helpful I guess. Alternatively, you could try switching the voice recognition from Male to Femal (or vice versa), again under the menu's, but I also note that it only allows one or the other - not both - which might cause a few arguments in some households!

Alternatively, do the environment test speaking into the Mic on the smart remote instead that might make a difference.

Hope that helps.

Markfj1200

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Mark - didn't contemplate that the answer was already part of this thread! Thanks for your help too. We're away at Center Parcs at the mo. Missing my TV

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys Si UK and I were exchanging views on Freesat reception on the UE46F8000 in another topic (see: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/freesat-freeview-sky-and-virgin/freeview-freesat-dish-aerials#comment-2908392 ) and I mentioned that I was having a difficulty with the TVs inability to be able to re-arrange the order of tuned Freesat channels - you can move Freeview channels around but I have not been able to do it with Freesat which seems a bit odd. That really is a stupid omission on the part of Samsung as HD channels are all over the place and nowhere near their SD counterparts in the channel order - BBCs 1 & 2 SD are at Channels 101 & 102 whereas the HD versions are at 108 & 109 which is bad enough but things start getting stupid when you look at the gaps between the other channels with both SD & HD transmissions like ITV, C4 and, worst of all, BBCs 3 & 4. Have I missed something significant or perhaps there is a technical reason why Freesat channels cannot be reordered which is outwith Samsungs control? Does anybody know anything about this? A solution would be really good as I regard it as a major pain in the rear.

Apart from that, I am slowly getting to grips with the TV and think it's great. PQ is a step up from my previous Panasonic (TH-42PX70). SQ not quite so but I tend to run it through my AVR so that's not really important.

BUT I digress and any advice on my Freesat tuning issues would be much appreciated

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, we're back from our break and today is the first time ive had chance to put the TV through its paces.

Generally the tv offers a fantastic picture. However whilst watching Harry Potter this afternoon I noticed something strange that I've never noticed before on any of my previous TV's. During the darker scenes on the left hand side of the screen I could see what I can only describe as blotchy black blobs that were kind of blending with the darker background of the scene. They were like oil slicks. It was really noticeable because the 3 main characters were all wearing black wizard cloaks that weren't as dark as the room they were in.

I've heard of clouding and back light bleeding but must confess that I've never actually seen either of these 1st hand so don't know if what I've experienced is one of these issues.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm also worried now that I've spent a lot on a tv that isn't going to deliver to my expectations.

Is this type of issue something that I can approach John Lewis about to swap the tv or will they just put me on to Samsung?

Thanks Guys

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Might be a silly question but did you get up close to the screen to see the effect or notice it at 'normal' viewing distance? If the former, I am probably not surprised but I don't think I have ever seen such a thing with the latter - BUT I will start looking and report back if I do see anything.

Dinglebin

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was sat about 6 foot away. It was only noticeable on the left of the screen as I look at it.

I'm going to try running 'I am Legend' via blu ray to see if I can replicate the problem. (there are plenty of dark scenes).

Any idea what it might be?

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
We are scheduled to watch the first Hobbit movie tonight in prep for seeing the second one tomorrow at the movies (sad, I know but it's got to be done!), I will try to report back tomorrow to say whether or not I noticed anything similar.

The other thing that occurred to me was that it might have had something to do with the broadcast signal rather than your TV per se. Your test with I am Leg End will however sort that out.

Andyj1821

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the site but have found all of your comments valuable as I am planning to buy a UE46F8000 in the next few days. With regards to the price match part of the thread, does anyone have any experience doing this via RicherSounds as opposed to John Lewis?

Cheers

AJ

TRENDING THREADS