samsung ps50-p96fd ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a quick question for the reviewers, I've just read the review of this 'samsung ps50-p96fd' plasma tv in an old issue i have, with a view to buying it. But i've put the brakes on my purchase because the review doesn't state wether or not its 24fps compatable which is a must for me if i'm paying this kind of money. Basicly, is it? The review was in the 50-52" supertest a couple of months ago.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
This is the same question I have been trying to get a answer to for a while on here as I am going to have my faulty PS50- Q97HDX replaced with a PS50-P96FD and cant find a answer about true 24FPS support.

A

Anonymous

not a definate answer ofcourse, but im pretty sure its not 24p

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matthew s"]
not a definate answer ofcourse, but im pretty sure its not 24p
[/quote] And this answer is based upon what information?

A

Anonymous

well i asked a samsung rep, but i said its not definate

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Joe Cox"]While from memory we believe this does take 24fps, we are just getting Samsung to 100% confirm this...[/quote]
Any word from samsung yet?

A

Anonymous

Assuming that the samsung isn't 24fps compatable, would the panny th50pz70 be a better buy? considering if you shop around there available for around the same price bracket. I currently own a 37"px60 panny and tbh the screen judder from hd sources isn't too bad, but i was wondering if by going up to a 50" screen it would make the screen judder appear worse?

A

Anonymous

im just curious, whats your viewing distance? as you previously owned a 37", so isnt going up to 50" quite a big step up?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Sorry folks. Now getting no response whatsoever from our PR contact for Samsung or indeed Samsung themselves. We will of course keep trying.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
STOP THOSE PRESSES!

I have just had it confirmed by the Samsung press office, via Samsung, that this set definitely CAN handle 24fps.

As we thought - but now confirmed.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Joe Thats just what I was hoping was the case, even more so as My PS50-Q97 is being replaced with a PS50-p96fd tomorrow morning!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

im sure any (decent) set can handle 24p.... but not as good as a tv that is listed as 24p on the specs

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Joe Cox"]STOP THOSE PRESSES!

I have just had it confirmed by the Samsung press office, via Samsung, that this set definitely CAN handle 24fps.

As we thought - but now confirmed. [/quote]
Thanks for you're help, its much appreciated. Just one thing though, how does it stand up to the panasonic equivilent?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthew s"]
im just curious, whats your viewing distance? as you previously owned a 37", so isnt going up to 50" quite a big step up?
[/quote]
The t.v. would be going in an different room to the 37" set. I also belive that if you want a truly cinematic experience, the viewing distance rule book must be thrown away, as long as you don't go too daft but we all know more or less what we can get away with, within our own circumstances.

A

Anonymous

thats a good point, even though the samsung may have slightly better specs, i would go for the panasonic simply because ive seen both sets and i think the panasonic had a slight edge in terms of picture quality.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Well my faulty PS50-Q97HDX has gone and my replacement PS50-P96FDX has arrived and I can also now confirm that it handles 1080P/24FPS perfectaly and it is one sexy looking TV far nicer than the Panasonic.

IMHO it also out proforms the Panasonic giving more detail in dark sceens on DVD and BD.

Out of interest Matthew S, what TV do you currently have?
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]
Well my faulty PS50-Q97HDX has gone and my replacement PS50-P96FDX has arrived and I can also now confirm that it handles 1080P/24FPS perfectaly and it is one sexy looking TV far nicer than the Panasonic.

IMHO it also out proforms the Panasonic giving more detail in dark sceens on DVD and BD.

Out of interest Matthew S, what TV do you currently have?
emotion-11.gif

[/quote]
Is this a recomendation then? Does Blu ray look as good as it should?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jerry16"]Is this a recomendation then? Does Blu ray look as good as it should?[/quote]

Too right it's a recomendation jerry16.

Prevoiusly to this set I had the Samsung PS50-Q97 HD Ready Plasma which was also a 5star set and both DVD and BD look great, but on the PS50-P96FD BD looks far sharper and more detailed due to the higher resolution and the 24fps totaly removes any gudder on long paning shots which were still apparent on the HD Ready model. Colour looks sumptuous and full of life as the set is HDMI 1.3 the colour pallet is far greater then before. Andd all this from a PS3!

DVD images upscaled to 1080p via my Denon DVD3930 look far better than they have right to do so offering a solid, stable and truely enjoyible image with very little evidence of grain or picture noise if any at all.

The only slight let down is good old Freeview which can look a bit ropey on some channels but this is also down to poor transmissions in the first place, but you have to take it with a pinch of salt as we are watching this on a 50"" set and it is in no means worse with freeview than any other 50"" set that I have seen.

IMHO yes there are better sets in the 50"" sector ie the Pioneer but not in this price bracket as the Samsung is easily found for under £1300 and even with extended warrantry( google Crampton and Moore) but I prefer this set in both looks and proformance to any other sets in its price sector.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

i'm looking at getting a new tv. have hit a few problems with the old home improvements so time and money have got away from me. but after reading what D J KRIME said i thought i was sold on the samsung , so i put it in a google search, all reviews seem to aggree but one mentions smearing on fast scenes such as the start of star wars part 3 with all the space ships. i'd really like your take on this Krime as your a punter rather than a reviewer, i'd like a 50" but not at the cost of the picture. i cant afford a pioner 50" so would i be better spending the same money on a smaller screen, such as a 42".. i just dont know how picky there been when they talk about the picture smear, would a normal punter notice it much?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I would be interested to know what DVD player they had conected to the Samsung when they did this review as I have not noticed any smearing with fast motion at all when playing DVDs via either my Denon 3930 or the PS3. I have even tried the scene they used and the screen handles it with aplomb, and this is from somebody who is extreamly fussy about picture quality and could not put up with smearing hence one of my hates of LCD TVs.
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts