Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I think it is great for Samsung to get serious with plasma as it is never good to have any firm holding a monopoly on a product as pansonic has done. The F8500 with its magnum frame is great looking Tv. But it is not a reference product by most journalists reckoning.

Yes, I am in a strange situation. My original plan was to buy a projector, but with an impending new arrival, priorities have changed significantly. So I thought upgrading to a plasma will be better. Again, the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

I'll know of the ideal screen size only after I move, although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough', and 3D will not cut mustard either.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yes, I am in a strange situation. My original plan was to buy a projector, but with an impending new arrival, priorities have changed significantly. So I thought upgrading to a plasma will be better. Again, the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

I'll know of the ideal screen size only after I move, although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough', and 3D will not cut mustard either.

Did you go to Walsall, BB?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

With 3D, size really does matter. Letterboxed 3D films on a 50" screen lose a lot of impact. If you have any interest in 3D, I think the 65VT65 makes the most sense. (Actually a projector makes the most sense, but as you say, that's no longer an option.)

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with the 50VT65. I could sit here and pick faults, but that would be pedantic in the extreme. It's a fantastic TV; and as you know, I'm difficult to please.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough'

No, it isn't big enough when bigger (65VT65) is available at a reasonable cost. If you do get the 65VT65 and set it next to your KRP500a, after a few days the 500a will start to look small. Tell SWMBO that a 50" screen in the kitchen wasn't big enough for me, hence the much-mailigned LG 60PZ950T being there. She'll ask if I have a wife, or a baby on the way though .....

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
No I didn't, as I explained before. Have guests over from London.

There are some excellent write ups on AV:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1778219-tps-meetup-part-3-a-6.html

Look at the hidden spoiler comments, and later on there are going to be lots of pictures! :clap:

A

Anonymous

At the recent leceister plasma TV shot out organised by Richer Sounds with sets incl the legendary KPR 500 kuro and one other pioneer set,the Lx6090 the boys at hdreview who was there still gives the KPR the verdict for black levels.The sets were all calibrated by THX engineers.The Samsung F8500 did not come second and the crowds still thought the panasonics incl. the vt/zx came closer to the legend on black levels.I think we need to wait for the 2014 samsung plasma to mature like a fine vintage. There is potential as Panasonic plasmas will stop evolving.The owners of the Pioneer TVs loaned for the show would not swap any pioneer Tvs for what is on offer...unless they needed 3d or 4k .I heard that on gaming mode the F8500 is slower on the hdmi interface than on the Pc connection...so this needs to be fixed......I rather spend big on an overengineered product for longevity sakes. Panasonic still rules the ruse.

D

Deleted member 2457

z058261 said:
At the recent leceister plasma TV shot out organised by Richer Sounds with sets incl the legendary KPR 500 kuro and one other pioneer set,the Lx6090 the boys at hdreview who was there still gives the KPR the verdict for black levels.The sets were all calibrated by THX engineers.The Samsung F8500 did not come second and the crowds still thought the panasonics incl. the vt/zx came closer to the legend on black levels.I think we need to wait for the 2014 samsung plasma to mature like a fine vintage. There is potential as Panasonic plasmas will stop evolving.The owners of the Pioneer TVs loaned for the show would not swap any pioneer Tvs for what is on offer...unless they needed 3d or 4k .I heard that on gaming mode the F8500 is slower on the hdmi interface than on the Pc connection...so this needs to be fixed......I rather spend big on an overengineered product for longevity sakes. Panasonic still rules the ruse.

The big winner at the Walsall event was the VT65 from what I read. The Pioneer unfortunately had the red tint issue on the blacks, so that was not ideal! But, yeah the VT65 everybody loved, the Samsung did not come close with black levels and the ZT65 was barely better than the VT65! And the GT60 was said to be on par with the VT65 which is very good news! :clap:

D

Deleted member 2457

Another interesting read:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57584396-221/samsung-f8500-plasma-wins-value-electronics-shootout/

D

Deleted member 2457

Images of this TV here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1765934-samsung-f8500-owners-thread-continuation-plasma-thread-4.html

They do look good!

Go to the bottom to get the best ones!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts