Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
With all the ZT65 fuss, I thought I'd add some balance to discussion by starting a thread on Samsung's new high end plasma.

Here's a quote from US retailer Crutchfield to kick things off: "When our photo sample arrived and we had some time to play with it, the verdict was unanimous: It's the best plasma picture we've ever seen."

If that doesn't whet your appetite, check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH0kAr-XNkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqI1NX_7Wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUGM7tF60s

Here a link to a PDF with full specs:

http://www.pn64f8500.com/uploads/pn64f8500af-spec.pdf

I want one. I want it now!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, people got quite anxious about this, but the stand is detachable and the TV can be wall mounted.

One potential issue is that owners will need an equipment rack large enough to accommodate the F8500's full width stand. Fortunately, my AV cabinet is wider than the 51" F8500. I do think Samsung has made a TV that's impractical for many due to its styling, though...

If the lack of response is a measure of expectation, I'm the only one on this forum anticipating this television's launch. Guess that's the power of the Panasonic brand and an entrenched videophile mindset.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed in the choice of sizing. I'm finding my 42" too small but have enough room for a 55" and don't think anything less would feel like a big enough step up. Despite having limited spare cash at the moment, I'd have been tempted by a 55st50 at c£1000 had it not been for the well documented panasonic problems. Whilst it will be great if Samsung provide some genuine competition to panasonic, I suspect the cost would be too much for me to justify, given I would not be going up to 55". I'm left to see how panasonic reliability is re 55st60 or more likely sticking with what I have and know to be quality and seeing what happens with OLED in a few years or whether finances will ever allow for a (no doubt 4k) PJ, to include the cost of a good, IR screen plus installation.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Yes, people got quite anxious about this, but the stand is detachable and the TV can be wall mounted.

One potential issue is that owners will need an equipment rack large enough to accommodate the F8500's full width stand. Fortunately, my AV cabinet is wider than the 51" F8500. I do think Samsung has made a TV that's impractical for many due to its styling, though...

Perhaps it has been designed by the same person who did the Sony pedestal from last year........ :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I understand your concerns, Ben.

Would 51" not be a large enough step up in terms of size? The F8500 might be a step up in other regards, too. If the picture is that good, you might not miss those extra four inches. The 51" F8500 would still be 23cm larger than your current TV (diagonally speaking, of course).

That said, if Panasonic can sort their screen uniformity problems out, the ST60 might be excellent value, too.

We're at that time of year when we start speculating about new products and scouring the internet for scraps of information. I read a Polish (Google translated) ST60 review last night, which was very positive, if a bit heavy on photos and light on prose.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
laserman16 said:
Perhaps it has been designed by the same person who did the Sony pedestal from last year........ :)

It's possible that Samsung has taken inspiration from Sony's product design. If so, it's good that they dropped the failing to stand up straight trick.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I understand your concerns, Ben.

Would 51" not be a large enough step up in terms of size? The F8500 might be a step up in other regards, too. If the picture is that good, you might not miss those extra four inches. The 51" F8500 would still be 23cm larger than your current TV (diagonally speaking, of course).

That said, if Panasonic can sort their screen uniformity problems out, the ST60 might be excellent value, too.

We're at that time of year when we start speculating about new products and scouring the internet for scraps of information. I read a Polish (Google translated) ST60 review last night, which was very positive, if a bit heavy on photos and light on prose.

Hi strapped.

I imagine the picture would / will be a step up from what I have. After all, I'm still operating in the steam age of 'HD ready', albeit with an 8th gen kuro. Having said that, when I saw the gt50 and vt50 in John Lewis I thought they were no better than what I have, but of course there are signal and settings issues which mean I would probably get a superior picture at home.

However, any improvement in quality is unlikely to make up for not getting a bigger screen, if I'm honest with myself. No doubt, for a period I would be delighted with the increase. But I know that after time I would regret having spent a large amount of money and still feel that I was on an intermediate step to the size I wanted. As well as seeing larger screens in places like JL I recently helped a friend upgrade various bits of AV kit, and he went with a 55st50. Whilst it was a little large for the corner it was in, the screen acreage itself was something I wouldn't in the long term want to have less than. As you'll see from my setup pics, I have plenty of room for a 55" on my stand / cabinet, and I sit a fair distance away, which would make at least 55" perfectly realistic.

So if Samsung had released a 55" TV which matched panasonic's finest and was available at some point in its lifespan for £1500-£1750 then that would have been deeply attractive. That isn't going to happen though. That price is also almost certainly unachievable with the zt and vt ranges, so I'd be left with the st. Given what's happened to this year's panasonics, I'm not terribly interested in reviews, save to check whether the potential is high. Clearly the real issues will only come to light a few months into their distribution cycle. I suspect I'd be a bit like you in your reaction to problems with a TV, and I've got too much on to piss about with changing TVs repeatedly, no matter how good the retailer's customer service.

The alternative is a PJ. I think my heart may be more in that than a new tv anyway, as my existing tv would be great for everyday duties, with the pj used for DVD and blu ray. I also feel a decent pj and screen would match my fairly premium audio setup, and have the large 'field of vision' wow factor. But the reality is I can't afford the sort of PJ setup j would like at the moment, nor do I know if / when I will be able to. So for now, I'll follow the travails of others, safe in the knowledge that whilst I don't have the size of TV I'd ideally like I at least have one I've paid for, that I'm very pleased with and that I know is reliable.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That all sounds rational to me. I wish I could accommodate a projector, but it would be impractical in my current situation.

If your television works without problems, there's value in hanging on to it, rather than playing what's become a high risk panel lottery. I sold my old TV, which means I'm forced to gamble, whether I want to or not.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That's about where I'm at. I'm naturally fairly cautious, so unless I'm pretty confident of success or the stakes are low then I tend not to go for it. This is why in the main I've bought hifi and av stuff that I've kept for a good period of time. The cost of a premium tv at the size I want cannot be described as low stakes. And post-kuro, every plasms seems to give a high risk of problems. Maybe if the Samsung is both an excellent performer and has superb user reports I'd consider it, but despite the general positivity at the moment I'm not holding my breath... :shifty:

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I also believe that Samsung has recognized the fact that Panasonic is winning every award year after year with plasma.

They ofcourse made some previous attempts and the E6500 is a very good example of that in big sizes.

But I still think it's too early to say if it will be a ZT-killer.

It seems it is their first attempt to take best tv of the year award but then again I read that about the ZT as well.

The more prudent thing to do imo is to wait for the reviews of the ZT and the F8500 plasma.

If they were very much alike I think it would be a matter of price and availability.

The ZT is a special edition with a limited supply while the F8500 will be produced in the quantities that Samsung needs.

So I think the Samsung will be cheaper.

But all of this is speculation ofcourse. I am checking 3 tv-test sites every day for one of them to be reviewed.

I'm just curious to know if both have reached Pioneer territory now. My fathers 5090 is shaking already ;-)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What's important to me is that the F8500 is a genuine ZT65 rival. If it's no better than the ST/GT/VT60s, it won't represent such great value.

Based on what I've seen and read, the ST/GT/VT60s are very similar to last year's 50 series plasmas. The F8500, however, is touted as a Kuro killer and a substantial leap forward in terms of picture quality. Every reviewer and retailer that's seen one in action seems to concur.

The ZT may edge it, but that's of little consequence to me, because the ZT comes with a much heftier price tag in only one screen size.

If US retailers are anything to go by, the 51" 8500 will be less than half the price of the 60" ZT65. For me, that's the decisive factor.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
SolarGlider said:
I also believe that Samsung has recognized the fact that Panasonic is winning every award year after year with plasma.

They ofcourse made some previous attempts and the E6500 is a very good example of that in big sizes.

But I still think it's too early to say if it will be a ZT-killer.

It seems it is their first attempt to take best tv of the year award but then again I read that about the ZT as well.

The more prudent thing to do imo is to wait for the reviews of the ZT and the F8500 plasma.

If they were very much alike I think it would be a matter of price and availability.

The ZT is a special edition with a limited supply while the F8500 will be produced in the quantities that Samsung needs.

So I think the Samsung will be cheaper.

But all of this is speculation ofcourse. I am checking 3 tv-test sites every day for one of them to be reviewed.

I'm just curious to know if both have reached Pioneer territory now. My fathers 5090 is shaking already ;-)

It seems a little strange that the Panasonics win the awards in the mag and then when people buy them they get all sorts of problems with them though ?

This TV looks the biz and if I can I'm going to try to get one....... does anyone have any idea if shops exchange TV's for newer models ?

(curious, given that they blacks do look a bit blacker on this newer Sammy TV)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Maybe if the Samsung is both an excellent performer and has superb user reports I'd consider it, but despite the general positivity at the moment I'm not holding my breath... :shifty:

My other problem is that I'm against the clock. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't want a DSE afflicted GT50.

My right to return/refund, no questions asked, expires at the end of March. As great as John Lewis's CS has been, I don't want to push my luck.

SolarGlider said:

I don't think Samsung will be losing any sleep on that. Barring a handful of countries including UK, plasma is almost dead. Despite the "award winning" TVs, Panasonic is posting record losses & is on the brink of exiting the TV business while Samsung continues to post record profits.

I suspect Samsung's motive is far ulterior: it wants to hasten Panasonic's demise.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I suspect Samsung's motive is far ulterior: it wants to hasten Panasonic's demise.

As you know, I broadly agree with this appraisal, though I also think Panasonic has been an architect of its own downfall. If Panasonic exits the TV business, it's not entirely down to extrinsic pressures and competition.

Ignore customer service and aftersales support at your peril. If you consistently hang customers out to dry after they purchase premium products, don't be surprised when they say "enough is enough." Samsung can't make Panasonic implode, despite its market dominance.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
laserman16 said:

It's possible that Samsung has taken inspiration from Sony's product design. If so, it's good that they dropped the failing to stand up straight trick.

I agree, I'm afraid the angle of the Sony put me off it totally.

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Quixel Research has done a report on the sales of plasma this year and stated: “There is no doubt that plasma is facing a challenge, but for now it remains very much alive with well-priced models in the 50-inch and 60-inch display range, which saw sales rise by 23% and 18% respectively,”

So it's very possible that Samsung is just adapting to this evolution and decided to make high-end plasma's for the limited time till they produce oled's.

They will scale down plasma production even further no doubt. But I don't think Panasonic is going to kick the bucket since they already have a co-op with Sony to print oleds.

This is the pre-order price in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51F8500-51-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPGOD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362710745&sr=1-1

So I suspect, the 51-inch version will cost £1800-2000, & the 64-inch one will cost £3000-3400.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BB.

The Amazon.com price price has fluctuated from $1,900-$2,200 over the last four days. I'm willing to pay £1,800 if the TV is notably better than the VT60.

At the current exchange rate, $2,000 = £1,340. I'm hoping £2,000 is a little steep for the 51", despite relatively high UK prices. We'll see...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
SolarGlider said:
Quixel Research has done a report on the sales of plasma this year and stated: “There is no doubt that plasma is facing a challenge, but for now it remains very much alive with well-priced models in the 50-inch and 60-inch display range, which saw sales rise by 23% and 18% respectively,”

So it's very possible that Samsung is just adapting to this evolution and decided to make high-end plasma's for the limited time till they produce oled's.

They will scale down plasma production even further no doubt. But I don't think Panasonic is going to kick the bucket since they already have a co-op with Sony to print oleds.

Thanks for the stats Solar Glider. Do you have a link to the Quixel report? I'm interested to read it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts