Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
How did they all perform in the brightness department? Cheers. I guess they were all calibrated too?

Hi Gel,

All TVs were calibrated. In my view they were all plenty bright enough. Another way of putting this is to observe that all TVs were capable of producing brighter pictures that I'd ever want or need.

Incidentally, the figures I posted for the ZT a while back are only true of the EBU picture mode. The TV struggles in terms of brightness using this picture Preset, but calibrated using the Professional modes, the VT and ZT are just as bright as each other.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
In short, they reckon the only discernible difference is that the ZT maintains its contrast better in bright rooms, and that in a dark room there's nothing between them.

Does that chime with anyone's experience who went along yesterday?

That doesn't chime with my experiences. I can't speak for anyone else there.

The ZT has a slightly cleaner picture than the VT, but any difference was only noticeable when viewing the TVs side-by-side and subjecting them to intense scrutiny. I'd speculate that the ZT's "gapless" bonding accounts for any small differences. I concluded that the differences in performance were so marginal that a 65VT65 is a more sensible purchase than a 60ZT65. That's just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

As for bright room performance, I honestly can't comment. All TVs were set up in a light controlled environment.

Hope that's some help...

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
In short, they reckon the only discernible difference is that the ZT maintains its contrast better in bright rooms, and that in a dark room there's nothing between them.

Does that chime with anyone's experience who went along yesterday?

That doesn't chime with my experiences. I can't speak for anyone else there.

The ZT has a slightly cleaner picture than the VT, but any difference was only noticeable when viewing the TVs side-by-side and subjecting them to intense scrutiny. I'd speculate that the ZT's "gapless" bonding accounts for any small differences. I concluded that the differences in performance were so marginal that a 65VT65 is a more sensible purchase than a 60ZT65. That's just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

As for bright room performance, I honestly can't comment. All TVs were set up in a light controlled environment.

Hope that's some help...

yep, thanks. Have had the tape measure out and can just about fit a 65" VT between my front speakers (without 3cm to spare).

have some thinking to do...

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I was in John Lewis yesterday and saw the 51" Samsung F8500. It was showing only a demonstation feed, but I have to say, even under shop lights the picture did look good, really good. It's just a shame about the stupid stand!

I like the stand! Though I understand certain objections. Unless you're wall mounting, you need an AV rack at least as wide as the F8500.

Hello there strapped,

My problem with the Samsung F8500 stand, and several others, it that it makes it very difficult to place a centre speaker or soundbar, without wall-mounting! I'll develop this theme in about three weeks, when I have a bit more time, if I come back safely from a 10-day holiday thousands of miles away.

One specific easy question about yesterday. What sizes were the Samsung F8500 and the Panasonic VT65 plasmas? You've told us that the Pioneer was a 6090, a 60", and the Panasonic ZT65 is available in only a 60".

And following a question posed only a little while ago, having seen all the televisions, are you any more decided in your own mind about which, if any, you would buy next? I think you said that you would stick rather than twist unless one of the yesterday's TVs was clearly better than your TV. So, are any of them significantly better than your own present television - sorry, just remind us what you have just now please? Maybe you'll get one of the new ones if you want a bigger set, in which case I guess it would be the 64F8500 or 65VT65 rather than the 60ZT65.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Have had the tape measure out and can just about fit a 65" VT between my front speakers (without 3cm to spare).

have some thinking to do...

Nah, no thinking needed! Go for the 65VT65 rather than the 60ZT65, especially as strapped has confirmed that the performance difference in favour of the ZT65 is so small. If Mrs Malarky objects, my rates for counselling services are very reasonable ....! :) And don't forget that the 65VT65 is, I think, about £400 cheaper than the 60ZT65, unless you really, really want that personalised booklet or something that you get with only the ZT65. But really, I have a 60" TV in the kitchen and a 64" in the parlour, and as Mae West would have said, size matters. Bigger is better.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
One specific easy question about yesterday. What sizes were the Samsung F8500 and the Panasonic VT65 plasmas? You've told us that the Pioneer was a 6090, a 60", and the Panasonic ZT65 is available in only a 60".

And following a question posed only a little while ago, having seen all the televisions, are you any more decided in your own mind about which, if any, you would buy next? I think you said that you would stick rather than twist unless one of the yesterday's TVs was clearly better than your TV. So, are any of them significantly better than your own present television - sorry, just remind us what you have just now please? Maybe you'll get one of the new ones if you want a bigger set, in which case I guess it would be the 64F8500 or 65VT65 rather than the 60ZT65.

Hi Son_of_SJ,

As you say, both the Pioneer and ZT65 were a 60" TVs. The VT was the 55" and the F8500 was the smaller (51") set.

I already own a 50VT65 and I'm sticking with that. In my opinion, buying a second-hand Pioneer would be a false economy now. I can't afford or accommodate a 60" TV, but if I could, I'd still buy the 65" VT65 over the 60" ZT.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I should also add in response to several questions asked that I'm entirely fallible. Any opinions expressed are my own and nobody should make a decision based on my commentary.

I'd urge anyone to audition all contenders and decide for yourself. My priorities may be very different from yours.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I should also add in response to several questions asked that I'm entirely fallible. Any opinions expressed are my own and nobody should make a decision based on my commentary.

I'd urge anyone to audition all contenders and decide for yourself. My priorities may be very different from yours.

N'ah, I'll just blame you if I buy one and its cr@p!

;)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
mr malarky said:
N'ah, I'll just blame you if I buy one and its cr@p! ;)

You certainly can't blame strapped for cash if you buy the 60ZT65 instead of the 65VT65 ..... :grin:

Still thinking.

There's virtually no price difference between the price I ordered the ZT for and the price that shop is selling the VT for (around £200, which in the grand scheme of things when both are over £3k, is marginal).

Like the idea of the larger screen.

Prefer the look of the ZT (think it looks slightly better as a result of not having the speakers on the front).

Think the 65" will actually be so big it's over-bearing in our current lounge. However, we're planning on moving house late next year.

This will go one of two ways; I'll either stick with the ZT and sit there thinking "the other one would have been bigger", or I'll change to the VT and every time I notice the most minimal of picture imperfections I'll sit there thinking "I wonder if the ZT would have done that?"..

I may actually break with tradition and consult mrs m on this one!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
This will go one of two ways; I'll either stick with the ZT and sit there thinking "the other one would have been bigger", or I'll change to the VT and every time I notice the most minimal of picture imperfections I'll sit there thinking "I wonder if the ZT would have done that?"..

If you had been in America rather than in Britain, you would not have this dilemma. In America they can get a 65ZT60 (for some reason the sufffix in America is 65, not 60).

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
mr malarky said:
Think the 65" will actually be so big it's over-bearing in our current lounge.

How big (exact dimensions, please!) is your current lounge?

mr malarky said:

Steady on, now!

Radical thinking, I know, but if I do end up choosing the behemoth then trust me, much better to get her buy-in first!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, I've got Blade Runner disc. Can you remind me to take it with me on 31st please? Will check it for you.

Well, whaddya know? 31st May came and went, and I forgot to remind you to take your disc of Blade Runner to play for about 30 seconds in to two minutes in, as the actors' names are faded in and out, to see if the Samsung F8500 plasma has the same brightness pops that my Samsung PS64D8000 plasma does. Ah well .....

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Son_of_SJ said:
mr malarky said:
Think the 65" will actually be so big it's over-bearing in our current lounge.

How big (exact dimensions, please!) is your current lounge?

mr malarky said:

Steady on, now!

Radical thinking, I know, but if I do end up choosing the behemoth then trust me, much better to get her buy-in first!

Apologies sosj, forgot to update you on this; I did try broaching the subject with mrs m, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "I've got a bit of a dillema about that new TV I've ordered..."

Mrs M: "unless your about to tell me you've cancelled the order I'm not interested".

Suffice to say I swiftly changed the subject at that stage!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Apologies sosj, forgot to update you on this; I did try broaching the subject with mrs m, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "I've got a bit of a dillema about that new TV I've ordered..."

Mrs M: "unless your about to tell me you've cancelled the order I'm not interested".

Suffice to say I swiftly changed the subject at that stage!

Discretion was definitely the better part of valour! :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's actually tomorrow, but I won't be able to go. Friends from London have come over to spend the weekend with us. :doh:

I'm guessing Son_of_SJ can take a copy of Blade Runner along to a retailer that stocks the F8500 and check for brightness pops during the appropriate scene.

Shame you couldn't make it to the TPS event. I was interested to hear how you thought new models compared with your 5090.

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
It's actually tomorrow, but I won't be able to go. Friends from London have come over to spend the weekend with us. :doh:

I'm guessing Son_of_SJ can take a copy of Blade Runner along to a retailer that stocks the F8500 and check for brightness pops during the appropriate scene.

Shame you couldn't make it to the TPS event. I was interested to hear how you thought new models compared with your 5090.

KRP 500A. :)

Lots of guests at home to entertain, friends and in-laws. Walsall is 100 mins away, and the event is planned for the whole day. I would've loved to go. :(

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:

Yes, I will, once I'm back from holiday. I leave tomorrow, back on Thursday 16th, and I probably won't be able to access much internet while I'm away. But when I do come back, I'll see if I can play Blade Runner in John Lewis or elsewhere. The only slight problem is, that the brightness pops are not so evident in shop lighting, and John Lewis is pretty bright ..... I'll ask them nicely and see if I can get them to turn down the lights very briefly during a quiet Tuesday afternoon or something.

strapped for cash said:

bigboss said:
KRP 500A. :)

Ooooh, pulling rank over us mere mortals who have only an LX5090, huh?
smiley-tongue-out.gif
'S okay, I would too!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, didn't mean to downgrade you! :oops:

Comparison with a KRP would have been more interesting, since they didn't have one set up at the Leicester event. A few AV members are suggesting the 600A on display wasn't performing optimally, at least compared with their KRPs at home.

It's all academic anyway, since I'm not about to buy a four year old TV with almost no warranty. TPS attendees seem to have concluded that the latest Panasonics are worthy successors to the Pioneers, even if the Pioneers still have the edge in some areas.

I stand by what I said last week. If you own a ninth generation Kuro or KRP, there's no clear reason to "upgrade," unless you want a bigger screen.

TRENDING THREADS