Sammy or Panny?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I have been salivating over a TV I saw at my local superstore, a Samsung UE55B7020W 55" LED LCD TV, playing a blu-ray disc of the Polar Express. Oh my gosh! What a stunning picture! It made all the other TVs on display look a little flat and anaemic.

Has anyone else seen this TV? I appreciate it's a different kind of picture to, say, a Pioneer Kuro plasma, but worth considering as an alternative?

A

Anonymous

I have seen so many TVs that look amazing in shops, because they were the one playing a Blu-Ray, adjusted really brightly and looking so eye-catching. Unless all the sets are adjusted the same and have the same quality signal, this tells you nothing.

I find the Samsung LED TVs really artificial. They look amazing in the shop, but more research (for me) makes me realise what you see in the shop and what you want everyday are 2 very different things. Mad colours look great under the showroom lights, but at home they are too much. They sell a lot of tellies that way, but that does not mean the Samsung would not be the perfect telly for you.

I have just returned a Panasonic Plasma (probably faulty) and I feel I come down in the LCD camp, but not in this case. I will have the Pioneer thanks (when you build me a larger living room).

For the record, we are wanting to see a Philips 42PFL9664.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Badamz, I know what you mean about sets being adjusted to appear bright and eye-catching in the shop, but, irrespective of that, the detail, clarity and edge definition on that Samsung was fantastic.

Still, for comparison I'll go see if I can demo a Pioneer 5090 somewhere. . .

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I think nothing can beat a Pionner plasma.if you have the money and don't mind the extra power consumption of the plasmas go for it.its perfect.

A

Anonymous

i seen a pioneer plasma in the pub the other week , showing the rugby , normal sd input , bbc1 , id say the plasma was a few years old , but the picture was fantastic , really deep blacks , deeper than my nearly new panasonic , any tv maker that can beat the latest kuros will charge a fortune , buy one now while you can is my advice ...

A

Anonymous

I had the 46" version, (took it back as it had 4 dead pixels) and although it was razor sharp, the APL system that darkens scenes was really distracting after a while.

I went through the same process as you are going through and ended up buying the PS50B850 plasma, all the up sides of the LED version LCD, Slim, widgets, looks. But with better blacks, motion & colours.

I would recommend this TV to anybody, excellent.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
LCD screens will often apear to look "better" on a shop floor over a Plasma due to their backlighting system, these sets when set up initially are set to "shopfloor mode" where backlight,brightness and contrast will all be cranked right up to make the screen standout from the crowd of competing TVs for your hard earned cash. These settings for the Tv and conditions under which you are seeing them (brightly lit shop floor) are not reminisant of your home viewing conditions!

Now the choice is vast but personally with larger screen sizes I would go Plasma. The Pioneer's are fantastic TV's (if you can find one) but you will pay a premium to own one. Another set as just mentioned by markjaspi is the Samsung PS-50B850 or its larger brother the PS-58B850. Both look almost the same as Samsungs LED range at about 1.1 inches thick but with none of the backlight issues and great black levels if just a little shy of the Pioneers at being able to grab every bit of detail in the shadows but a fair be cheaper.

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:
LCD screens will often apear to look "better" on a shop floor over a Plasma due to their backlighting system, these sets when set up initially are set to "shopfloor mode" where backlight,brightness and contrast will all be cranked right up to make the screen standout from the crowd of competing TVs for your hard earned cash. These settings for the Tv and conditions under which you are seeing them (brightly lit shop floor) are not reminisant of your home viewing conditions!

Now the choice is vast but personally with larger screen sizes I would go Plasma. The Pioneer's are fantastic TV's (if you can find one) but you will pay a premium to own one. Another set as just mentioned by markjaspi is the Samsung PS-50B850 or its larger brother the PS-58B850. Both look almost the same as Samsungs LED range at about 1.1 inches thick but with none of the backlight issues and great black levels if just a little shy of the Pioneers at being able to grab every bit of detail in the shadows but a fair be cheaper.
couldnt have said it better myself...

A

Anonymous

I've got the same set and I'd second that. Brilliant. Sorry but this year's Panasonics are poop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts