S360 too budget for 5400ES and Tannoys?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a new setup where I ended up replacing everything!

So the current config is:

S360

Sony 5400Es

Tanny Revolution Signature DC4T, DCLCR, DC4

Velodyne SPL1000R

The sound is good, but not as good as I had hoped for.

The dealer is telling me that the S360 is the weak link, and that the signal will never be better than the source blah blah.

Since it is all digital until it leaves the amp I am unconvinced. Would I see a big improvement in sound by upgrading from the S360 (excellent load times btw) to something like a Denon 2500 which is what they are trying to sell me?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
What part of the sound is lacking? The step up to the BDPS5000es would be worth it - certainly the cd playback of that machine is far superior to the S360. Depending on what your system is not doing for you it may be a set up issue or easily solved with some cables.

What speaker cable are you using?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Can you not demo the Denon 2500 with your setup and send it back if it doesn't meet your expectations? Do you have another source to try? It may be that the Tannoys and the amp just haven't bedded in and you simply haven't got used to them. It can be hard to adjust from one setup to another and it is early days. However, if they fall way short of the mark, maybe it's time to try something else? I tried the Tannoy DC4T setup with an Arcam/Denon setup and it didn't work for me so I sent them back. I found them very disappointing.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
johna11:
I have a new setup where I ended up replacing everything!

So the current config is:

S360

Sony 5400Es

Tanny Revolution Signature DC4T, DCLCR, DC4

Velodyne SPL1000R

The sound is good, but not as good as I had hoped for.

The dealer is telling me that the S360 is the weak link, and that the signal will never be better than the source blah blah.

Since it is all digital until it leaves the amp I am unconvinced. Would I see a big improvement in sound by upgrading from the S360 (excellent load times btw) to something like a Denon 2500 which is what they are trying to sell me?

I can't see that a better BD player will make that much difference with the HD audio sound. I have the BDP550 and the lesser amp, 3400es and I get a fantastic sound. Maybe you are expecting too much or you need to tweak things.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It could be the setup as indicated, but I have found that there can be a big difference in sound with different devices delivering what should be the exact same digital data to my amp via the same connections.

A

Anonymous

As has already been said the 550 (or its imminent replacement the 760) may be a middle of the road approach. The Receiver will be doing the sound decoding, not the player, and the TV will be processing the picture Presumably the top end BR players justify their price tags somehow but will you actually notice a perceiveable difference in sound or PQ?

Cosmetically my 550 is a bit "plasticy" for my liking so the top end Sony BR player is a better cosmetic match & build quality to your ES Receiver but is it worth the ££ - Not to me.

To sum up I doubt the 360 is the root of your unhappiness with the overall sound quality, but a substitition (temporarily or permanently) seems to be the solution to the question.

On a sidenote if the speakers are new, have they "run in" yet?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Don't underestimate the ability of superior players to get more from the Blu-ray disc itself - regardless of whether they're then decoding the audio or passing it onto the amp.

With the excellent sound set-up you have, a better player should deliver audible benefits. If your dealer is so keen to sell you a Denon (which, I warn you, will seem ultra-slow to load discs after your Sony!), why not ask them to borrow it for a night, to try in your system? Sounds like you've spent enough money with them already for them to see you as a trusted customer! (You can always offer a deposit!)

I'd also see if they've one of the new-season Pioneers or higher-end Sony players to try out - we've seen improvements over the budget models on each of these.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I have read of owners of high end bluray players not being able to tell the difference between players when bitstreaming the audio. I too couldn't hear any audible difference between a £200 and a £1500 player. I personally think it is the amp and speakers that need changing but as above, have a look at the room, speaker positioning and acoustics. Sometimes just moving a speaker an inch or so can make a big difference.

A

Anonymous

I'm actually a lot happier with the sound now... maybe it really did need running in for the amp and/or speakers. At some stage I think I will try borrowing a 'better' bluray player - maybe the s760 or one of the Denons - to see if I can tell a difference, but in the meantime things are ok.

Watched Slumdog M last night and the sound was great.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
This is an interesting thread - well, more interesting than THAT thread! I wonder if it's an indication that room characteristics can play as big a part in the equation as changes of components. It suggests to me that arguing over stars is a bit simplistic.

Perhaps the OP could describe the listening room, speaker positions etc. The route to improvement might lie in changes there, rather than in buying new kit.

A

Anonymous

I bought all-new kit in June and they do take some running in, especially the speakers.

Maybe thats the next trend in hi/home cinema. In the same way you can walk into a shop and buy a pair of jeans that look like someone has alredy worn them for 6 months. Kit that has allready been used for 3 months.

I'm only joking btw.

F

FunkyMonkey

Your speakers are far superior to your either equipment. Has your receiver got Audyssey or similar? Even though you are happy now, it may be sound even better with room acoustics having been addressed using calibration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts