Russell k red 100 speakers

winiar550

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi DocG .Thanks for that.Do you think these will be a good match for my square shape 16 m living room? how about the base .At the moment i am using kef r700 and they seems to be an overkill especially with bass.Speakers will be connected to the m-dac plus nord nc500 class d power amp. Is it a good match.Generally the kefs are good speakers but they sounding a litle to smooth for me and the midrange quality isnt up there good enough (bit mufled).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess they won't overpower a 4 x 4 room, being standmounters. So indeed, they might be a better bet than the KEFs. What stands will you be using, btw?

As for driving them with Colin's NCores: as you read in my post, I heard the Red100s, powered by a meaty Accuphase, and the result was very convincing. They have a very lively sound, but having a rather low sensitivity (86 dB or there about), they need some power to sound this lively. And so I feel the NC500 could make for a great match. Add the MDAC to this combo, and IMO you're up to a cracking system, with unbeatable value for money!

Having said that, a demo will tell you far more than the thoughts and impressions of a fellow forumite. Do you have a dealer nearby?

Keep us posted on the result. I for one am very curious how you'll end up!

S

SemiChronic

Nice review of these speakers at Hifi Pig

http://hifipig.com/russell-k-red-100-loudspeakers/

pic of the crossover etc

winiar550

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I havent got any stands yet and searching for some info about them and so far all the opinions and reviews seems very favourable.I will possibly have a demo next weekend with my own stuff and see how they sound like.The negative thing about them is they are not coming with the front grills and stands either as this is extra from manufacture.

Although most speakers come with grilles it is very rare to see them come with included stands.

I can see why they would do this as many prefer speakers with the grilles off anyway. Most already own speaker stands. I would check how much they are charging for these as better ones may be available elsewhere.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi winiar550,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm interested in Colin's Nord amps (modified version). What did yours replace and what did you notice? I've got a pair of ATC SCM11s and my room is of a similar size. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Although most speakers come with grilles it is very rare to see them come with included stands.

I can see why they would do this as many prefer speakers with the grilles off anyway. Most already own speaker stands. I would check how much they are charging for these as better ones may be available elsewhere.

Exactly. I think that's a bonus. If you prefer your speakers without grilles, you don't pay for grilles; if you want grilles, you buy them.

Stands. I think that if you pull the trigger on the Red 100s, you should try different stands with them. They might sound their best on solid, sand-filled stands. Or they could benefit from 'open' speaker stands, that let them 'sing', much like Harbeths do. Worth a shoot-out IMO.

winiar550

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi Pedro2.I have compared mine (with upgraded buffer boards and sparcos opamps) with my brother in laws musical fidelity m6prx power amp. and i think it compares favourably but has slightly different presentation.Theres more info if you google them online.I think for the money it is a very good option but to be safe your best bet will be to go and have a demo for yourself.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Winiar550,

Distance to audition is a bit of a problem unfortunately so may have to take a risk. At the price, they seem unbeatable (new) and I know my ATCs appear to love power (although still sounding good at low volume). I'm also intrigued by the comments re warm, fluid sound which seems to fly in the face of most Class D amps to date. Good luck with the speakers. Did read about them briefly when I was searching myself but none were in shopping range. By the way, in a small room with some bass boom issues, the ATCs are just great.

TRENDING THREADS