Russ Andrews

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Did everyone see the article about Russ Andrews in the WHF News section? The ASA has ruled that Russ Andrews is not misleading customers.

Mains products do make a difference!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Did everyone see the article about Russ Andrews in the WHF News section? The ASA has ruled that Russ Andrews is not misleading customers.

And this is exactly the problem with that ruling, it accepts that the products do reduce RFI in the cable but at no point is there any attempt to prove (or otherwise) that it actually makes an audible difference!

U

unknown

Broner said:
wilro15 said:

It just breaks my heart that you come to this particular conclusion.

russ andrews makes alot of mains products - which ones dont work and why ?

U

unknown

Broner said:
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
wilro15 said:

Ahh, if you mean to ask whether I disagree with the idea that mains work, then the answer is no. I find them very useful.

i'm talking about to the various filters and mains cables he sells.

please tell which ones out of his extensive range dont/cant possibly work and why ?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
wilro15 said:

Ahh, if you mean to ask whether I disagree with the idea that mains work, then the answer is no. I find them very useful.

please tell which ones out of his extensive range dont/cant possibly work and why ?

That is similar to the question "which products sold by a homeopathic medicine company don't work?". Answer, all of them.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
wilro15 said:

WIth respect to the mains I have already told you that I find them very useful. Air is such a terrible conductor, so it makes perfect sense to me that mains are used. I haven't said anything about whether filters don't work, but I was in fact questioning the logic of the OP who jumped to the conclusion that 'mains do make a difference'. The outcome of the ASA investigation simply does not warrant that conclusion unless he simply means to say that mains are in fact useful (as opposed to not using mains), which I think we can agree on, is a somewhat silly thing to state (and you don't really need an ASA-ruling to know that).

Do you see that you are asking me some very strange questions here? I might as well ask you why you dislike artichokes.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Mike, the challenge is to know what you mean by 'work'. I have no doubt (and it seems the ASA's test lab agree) that the cable under test did reduce RF, the question is whether this was in any way audible - which I guess is the whole point of the thing. The ASA adjudication (linked to in the WHF article) includes the following statement:

"However, we understood from Russ Andrews Accessories that these test results were not necessarily indicative of perceptible noise reduction in consumer relevant conditions and noted the results did not indicate a difference in perceptible RF (radio frequency) interference (in Common or Differential Mode) when using the standard leads against which the Superkord and Powerkord products were being compared."

This doesn't seem to be a wholesale endorsment of the product.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:
Mike, the challenge is to know what you mean by 'work'. I have no doubt (and it seems the ASA's test lab agree) that the cable under test did reduce RF, the question is whether this was in any way audible - which I guess is the whole point of the thing. The ASA adjudication (linked to in the WHF article) includes the following statement:

"However, we understood from Russ Andrews Accessories that these test results were not necessarily indicative of perceptible noise reduction in consumer relevant conditions and noted the results did not indicate a difference in perceptible RF (radio frequency) interference (in Common or Differential Mode) when using the standard leads against which the Superkord and Powerkord products were being compared."

This doesn't seem to be a wholesale endorsment of the product.

exactly. so the ruling basically means: it is OK to claim the cable reduces rfi if it does in fact reduce it, while it does not matter if it is audible or not as long as you do not claim it is audible. if oyu claim it is audible, we will ask you to prove it. RA takes note of that (although they knew it before) and carries on.

DrBeats

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Who cares...

I'm off to compress my entire music collection. As it turns out, the ASA has ruled that hi-res audio is imperceptible to CD.. Gosh, those clever chaps at the ASA know everything....

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/3/Sony-Europe-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_244516.aspx

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
DrBeats said:
Who cares...

I'm off to compress my entire music collection. As it turns out, the ASA has ruled that hi-res audio is imperceptible to CD.. Gosh, those clever chaps at the ASA know everything....

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/3/Sony-Europe-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_244516.aspx

So your entire music collection is in a higher res than CD is it? Remarkable.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
How much more gullible do people have to be. The prove is in the pudding. The piont of selling these cables is to improve sound quality.. The test carried out was for RFI not for sound quality or the effect it has on the sound.. This I think is simple to understand & very misleading.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
DrBeats said:
Who cares...

That is kind of what I do. I have a choice of downloading Society of Sound music in hi-rez or 16/44 ALAC (with no cost difference). I chose 16/44 ALAC because it is as good as the hi-rez and takes less space.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
How much more gullible do people have to be. The prove is in the pudding. The piont of selling these cables is to improve sound quality.. The test carried out was for RFI not for sound quality or the effect it has on the sound.. This I think is simple to understand & very misleading.

+1

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Errr, I think the reason they focused their testing on RFI noise is because the complainant challenged the advertisement on the noise reduction claims? So perhaps you need to raise another challenge on another manufacturer's ad that claims sound quality mprovements?

As I said in the other thread, when people say they can hear differences, you say that's impossible because it can't be measured. But now when they are able to measure a reduction in RFI noise, you say that doesn't prove anything because the difference can't be heard.

How convenient.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Trading standard states if a product is not fit for purpose or doing what it is suppose to do then the customer should request for full refund for the service or product bought. Funny enough Russ andrew does just that. Having said that its very easy to be told an item takes 60days to settle down & get the full performance.. Really?... I have tried many cables even in a recording studio setting & was of no use. The only product that seem to do what it said on the tin was the spike prevention products.. This is my opinion as usual.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi hifikrazy dont you want to run that by trevor c first haha,now i know i wasnt wrong about what i hearing,i dont think this could of come at better time:dance: .david

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
it sounds like bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .i thought you knew that,see you learn something every day.lol david

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts