Russ Andrew Classic Powerkord

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just got my Classic Powerkord with the wattgate 320i. Upon plug in the sound appears full of details. Upon more critical listening and switching back to a 12 AWG stock cable, the RA sounded thin (lacks body) and the "details" were not well defined. This is so different from the reviews that I have read. I understand the RA would probably need some burn-in period. Is this characteristic of the Classics when new ?

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
If you feel there is no real difference from your stock cable to RA send it back and get a refund, I doubt you will hear/see much improvement even after 6months of use, if it was cheap enough[dont know what it costs]but feel there was slight improvement which you say ;there was detail; then fair enough, if you really want to want go mains cable upgrade go with clearer audio, great product well built, good price and if you are not happy get a refund. That is what I would do, see how you get on with RA for a couple of weeks, then try Clearer audio see which one gives you improvements [in any] then make your mind up.

idc

I agree, send it back. There is no science based reason why the cord should work as claimed anyway and burn in is an excuse for people to keep in the hope their ears adapt to the supoosed new sound. But it is all about perception, you perceive your stock cord is better, great stick with it.

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pioneer7 & idc,

Maybe I'll wait a while and see if I hear any changes since there is still time to evaluate. Been around long enough to call a spade, a spade.

I tried RA as I needed a cable with a UK plug into my wall socket.(Cost is about 135 pound). All my US plugs stick out of the wall socket like an accident waiting to happen and is also loose when used with an adapter,(UK to US)whereas the cable to the UK type plug falls towards the floor. Don't know if there are any good UK-to-US adaptors for hi-fi use ?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi

i started with 2 RA yello power kords over 10 years ago,used with arcam cd 7se cd player and arcam alpha 9 amp.the cables were approx £30 each,immediately there was a perceived difference,did i prefer the perceived difference? yes so i kept them.

i don`t believe that a £60 upgrade of either the cdp or amp would have attained better perceived difference of sound,or that giving £60 to agroup of scientists research fund or otherwise would have given a better perceived difference of what i thought i was hearing from the loud speakers.

i have in the past few years changed cdp to MF xray v8 (amazing difference to arcam) and the alpha nine amp exchanged under warranty and a few quid extra for Arcam A85 amp also much better .

recently changed yello cables for RA classic power cables £70 for two ...bargain!,better/more detail and timing,music recordings seems to be played at the pace tempo that the style of music playing,each recording has more individual character.

i did change back and forth to compare yello to classic and my unqualified self as a scientist preferred the classic cable used with the equipment mentioned and also more importantly the music lover that yearns for realistic and natural music play back preferred the perceived difference as well.double bargain,tell em it`s a two for one sale...step right up`!.

by better i mean more like what music should sound like from my subjective view,i play guitar,mandolin and bodran drum as well as tinker on keyboards fiddle etc (not to a professional standard unfortunately but have had some positive comments.

i am not a scientist but would like to think i have a little more than the average mind when it comes to be analytical,discriminating fussy and hard to please.like some scientists i have met.

a couple of months ago got my hands on second hand RA reference power kord with watt gate 320i,plus a silencer block plus reference 16 amp cable for that,still quite alot second hand but now my perceived experience of my hifi music play back is satisfying and enjoyable,i won`t be employing a group of scientists to prove this to you as i know whatbrand of chocolate i like without an explaination as to why.it`s a very subjective view that lacks inherent existence and is merely imputed upon subject/object by my mind...i hope this helps.

oh yes...to answer your original question YES the perceived performance of the cables will fluctuate but will improve over a week or two (gives you 46 days approx to decide whether or not to keep them)

:cheers:

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Vajrapadhi,

Good to hear from someone who has used and liked the Classics. My system is wired almost throughout with Kimbers - PK14, Hero, PBJs, 4TC ... so expectation is high.

Due to budget constraints and a need for a UK type plug (all my others have US plugs) I decided to try the RA Classic to use with my new mains conditioner. I hope I have not selected a too thin model as the stock is a masssive 12 AWG wire. Too bad it is terminated with a moulded US plug and my wall socket is UK type.

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - DUPLICATE POST

Hi Vajrapadhi, Good to hear from someone who has used and liked the Classics. My system is wired almost throughout with Kimbers - PK14, Hero, PBJs, 4TC ... so expectation is high. Due to budget constraints and a need for a UK type plug (all my others have US plugs) I decided to try the RA Classic to use with my new mains conditioner. I hope I have not selected a too thin model as the stock is a masssive 12 AWG wire. Too bad it is terminated with a moulded US plug and my wall socket is UK type. Sorry duplicate posting !

A

Anonymous

hi

try it for the duration of moneyback offer if you like it,keep it for a year then use their upgrade offer to something better,but i`m sure will be fine:)

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
An alternative to consider would be a cable from 'Missing Link' who will make up your own choice of plug types and STILL offer your money back if you don't like it

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have used RA cables for quite a while and believe they make a worthwhile improvement in my system.

try it and see is my motto

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

The RA Classic has been around in my system for 20 days now since it was installed.

Initially I installed it at the place where I intended to use i,t which was at the distribution strip. Compared to the stock 12 AWG cable it sound thin (opposite of rich and warm). Didn't like the sound so i put back the stock cable and onve again the sound was nore substiantial; good foundation and bass but a little clinical in nature. I then tried it on the power amp over a few days and it likewise sounded thin. It found it's way to the pre-amp and then the CD player & finally back to the distribution strip. I couldn't believe that I enjoyed the stock cables more than the RA (ok 2 of them are Kimber & PS Audio). Moved some of the other cables around and the RA 'finally' ended up at the CD player. By this time the sound had morphed to thick (and sloppy) and the details were missing !!!! I couldn't beliwve my ears and cannot explain why ..... Finally I moved it back to the power distribution and lo and behold - the sound was what I was hoping to get - good tuneful bass that provided the foundation to the music and sufficient details. Now I am enjoying my music again. Would the sound change again over time ? If it did I hope it would be for the better.

Sorry if I was a little long winded.

TRENDING THREADS