Rubbish day at penguin towers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It's all gone t##s up! It arrived but the two young guys from ao.com said someone snapped off the key on the pipe that connects to the machine. I'm now having to call in a plumber tomorrow to rectify the issue. Because it's a Sunday it's time and a half, cost around £140 +vat just to fix the problem and install the machine.

You wouldn't believe how peed off I am.

WayneKerr

It's all gone t##s up! It arrived but the two young guys from ao.com said someone snapped off the key on the pipe that connects to the machine. I'm now having to call in a plumber tomorrow to rectify the issue. Because it's a Sunday it's time and a half, cost around £140 +vat just to fix the problem and install the machine.

You wouldn't believe how peed off I am.
? Are you talking about a key on the machine itself or the water pipe from your domestic supply to the machine?

WayneKerr

If it's only the blue plastic lever that's snapped-off then it'll be a 2 minute fix as you can still turn the valve off with a small spanner, or an adjustable spanner. If the valve head is b*ggered it's still an easy fix:

1. Turn water off at main stop-c*ock
2. Drain down cold water supply at kitchen tap
3. Remove old valve with jug available to catch residual water in pipework
4. Fit new valve
5. Turn water on at main stop-c*ock and check for leaks, tighten as necessary

Probably 30 minutes all in. If I lived closer to you I'd do it for tea and biscuits :)

I'd be very interested to know exactly what your plumber does as if it's only the blue plastic lever missing then I think the AO guys were way out of order.

Last edited:
If it's only the blue plastic lever that's snapped-off then it'll be a 2 minute fix as you can still turn the valve off with a small spanner, or an adjustable spanner. If the valve head is b*ggered it's still an easy fix:

1. Turn water off at main stop-c*ock
2. Drain down cold water supply at kitchen tap
3. Remove old valve with jug available to catch residual water in pipework
4. Fit new valve
5. Turn water on at main stop-c*ock and check for leaks, tighten as necessary

Probably 30 minutes all in. If I lived closer to you I'd do it for tea and biscuits :)

I'd be very interested to know exactly what your plumber does as if it's only the blue plastic lever missing then I think the AO guys were way out of order.
Thanks.

It needs to be sorted and quickly. Not for my benefit but my daughter needs her work uniform washed as does Mrs. Ps stuff.

Did you speak to customer service? Did you order from Currys or ao.com? I had accidentally ordered a different model of condenser dryer which I realised when AO.com delivered it. I called customer service. They sent the correct model to be delivered the next morning and the same people picked the wrong model up at the same time.

Did you speak to customer service? Did you order from Currys or ao.com? I had accidentally ordered a different model of condenser dryer which I realised when AO.com delivered it. I called customer service. They sent the correct model to be delivered the next morning and the same people picked the wrong model up at the same time.
Yep, correct company (ao.com) and correct machine and the drivers phoned customer service and I spoke to them. They've reimbursed me for the fitting, but they'll take the old one away once it's disconnected.

jjbomber

We've been let down by the plumber. He's now going to turn up tomorrow (Monday) between 8am and midday.

Never felt as stressed as this. You don't realise how much we depend on a washing machine until something like this happens.
There's bound to be local laundrettes and even mobile services near to where you live. Yes, it will cost more, but the lack of stress will make it a bargain.

WayneKerr

We've been let down by the plumber. He's now going to turn up tomorrow (Monday) between 8am and midday.

Never felt as stressed as this. You don't realise how much we depend on a washing machine until something like this happens.
Well at least he won't be charging Sunday rates, but then again they seem to charge Sunday rates all week :)

There's bound to be local laundrettes and even mobile services near to where you live. Yes, it will cost more, but the lack of stress will make it a bargain.
You are kidding. The nearest laundrette is In Epsom, around 8 miles away (16 mile round trip), each basic wash is £8 and by the time you pay for parking, petrol...just not financially viable.

Regarding mobile jobbies they need notice (usually 24 hours), by that time the machine will be in place.

Joys of village life.

WayneKerr

Bigger screws :) Small dowling of some sort dipped in wood glue, let it set, trim, and re-drill. Small dowling can be something as simple as matchsticks, cocktail sticks etc. depending on the size of the hole to be filled. Failing that drill a larger hole and insert a single large dowel dipped in wood glue... it will be a messy job :)

Failing all the above get a chippy in :)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts