rubbish amp beats Audiolab

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Now this is not necessarily my view, but a quote from HiFi Review during a mega test. They liked the Naim Nait, Inca Tech Claymore and NVA AP30; and quite liked Myst tma3, Onix OA21, Harman Karden PM655 and A&R Arcam Delta 90. They also didn't like the Mission Cyrus 11.

They didn't like tight and neutral then :)

As I say, mine is the later 8000A, after they were upgraded in 1993.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I remember going for a demo around 1985/1986, and trying some £250 amps out. The dealer tried to get me to try the Audiolab at £350, but I couldn't afford it. Looking back, I wish I could've done.

If you think back to the early 80's, people were mostly buying Technics and Pioneer amps with flashy LED meters. Compare a 90's Technics SUA900 to an 8000A and see which one sounds like music. Speaker choice was important as it was pretty neutral - get this wrong and you could end up with a lifeless system.

Yes, some of the early models might've been a little rough, but I can only assume that Malcolm Steward wasn't an Audiolab fan (there's been plenty of politics in the hi-fi world over the past 30-40 years!). Maybe he didn't get on with Phil Swift? Who knows?

Anyway, 10 years after launch, it was brought up to date, and changed to the better looking black, and for me, was greatly improved. Whenever I recommend an 8000A to anyone, it is always the later black one. The older grey ones could be up to 30 years old now, and will more than likely need parts replacing to bring them back up to their full spec and sound quality. Again, because of this, the later black ones are a safer bet to buy on the used market.

Whether it was a British milestone in hi-fi is debatable, but for under £500, you could own a real taste of what high end amplification was all about.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I remember going for a demo around 1985/1986, and trying some £250 amps out. The dealer tried to get me to try the Audiolab at £350, but I couldn't afford it. Looking back, I wish I could've done.

If you think back to the early 80's, people were mostly buying Technics and Pioneer amps with flashy LED meters. Compare a 90's Technics SUA900 to an 8000A and see which one sounds like music. Speaker choice was important as it was pretty neutral - get this wrong and you could end up with a lifeless system.

Yes, some of the early models might've been a little rough, but I can only assume that Malcolm Steward wasn't an Audiolab fan (there's been plenty of politics in the hi-fi world over the past 30-40 years!). Maybe he didn't get on with Phil Swift? Who knows?

Anyway, 10 years after launch, it was brought up to date, and changed to the better looking black, and for me, was greatly improved. Whenever I recommend an 8000A to anyone, it is always the later black one. The older grey ones could be up to 30 years old now, and will more than likely need parts replacing to bring them back up to their full spec and sound quality. Again, because of this, the later black ones are a safer bet to buy on the used market.

Whether it was a British milestone in hi-fi is debatable, but for under £500, you could own a real taste of what high end amplification was all about.

I was one of the Pioneer brigade. They made some tremendous amps in the 70s and early 80s, and even their in-car stuff was very high quality.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree there some serious amps by the Japanese in the 70's, but the 80's saw these Japanese manufacturers going down market, trying to meet the public's demand for cheaper hi-fi. My father had a Pioneer SA520 from the mid 80's - a bargain for about £160, but compare that to what was available in the 70's...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I posted this, not to have a go (as I'm sure you realize), but to show differing view points (or possibly politics).

You can see from the list of amps, those that he favoured, and interestingly he also didn't like the MF A1, which he said, "overall, I felt the A1 sounded rather warm and woolly in the manner of a valve amp, pleasant but imprecise and lacking in articulation; inoffensive but ultimately boring."

Now in contrast, HFW have the 8000A listed in their world classics, where they describe it as a "smooth integrated with a clean phono stage.".....they also advise going for the post '93 version.

Back then, I can remember the the Nait coming out to much acclaim. but I found it "hard and uninvolving", though later on I ended up with a 42/110/Snaps along with a LP12, which I loved.

I do remember liking amps like Nad 3020, Creek CAS 4040, Sugden A21 and A&R A60.....and later on the older Linn stuff.

In 1980 I hankered after AR speakers with a chunky Marantz receiver but couldn't afford it. Later Heard a lot about Audiolab, although never had the opportunity to hear one. It was the early 90s I first cut my Audiolab teeth (can't remember the speakers or source) and sounded really good, but not outstanding.

Love the Pioneer. It didn't have the stereotypical view of being warm or woolly; very open with wonderful bass control. Plus an added oooo of those VU meters...

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There were three versions of the Audiolab 8000A.

The early grey ones with DIN inputs, there are probably not too many of these around as they are a pig to fix if anything goes wrong.

The second incarnation was also grey but can be identified by the silver phono sockets on the rear.

Finally the black version (but be advised some of the early ones have a grey case and black front panel), these are by far the best version with the Sanken output transistors and nobel volume pot. But even these have their flaws, the gold phono sockets for one which fall to pieces, the power supply dropper resistors which burn the PCB cos they are not raised off the board, the power supply transistors for the phono stage which cook all the caps cos they are run too hot. But overall it is the best sounding one, but not great IMO (make good headphone amps though) If buying one now, be sure to get it serviced as many caps will need replacing, also check it hasn't blow its powerstage before as they make a right mess and usually burn up the PCB due the the schite protection circuit.

But if it were my money I would go and buy a Pioneer from the late 70's with a fluoroscan display, something like an SA-9800 it sounds much better and is built better to boot.

A

Anonymous

I love all your comments but the fisher makes the sound full and even the phono stage is better. i aint deaf nor dumb my TDL's are loving this amp. Detail is fine, treble is sweet and bass bigger than you can believe. Although the creek beat it ten times over

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wonder of a lot of this is to do with the EQ of the Fisher. Amps after all can be notoriously difficult to tell apart in terms of cheap and expensive in genuinely blind listening tests, think Bob Carver getting cheap amps EQ to match almost exactly expensive valve amps or the very interesting 2007 blind test amp 'shoot out' by a US hifi website that saw an exprienced panel choose a $129 amp in preference to one that cost $2295. So perhaps whichever engineer designed that particular Fisher had a good ear and got an EQ that suits you - if so then the name, age or value of the particular amp in question doesn't matter.

steviewonder

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
The audiolab 8000a is one of the worst amplifiers i have ever come across,bland and dull.tone controls virtually useless.Where the 5 star reviews have come from is beyond me.I have aquired three of these amps from various recycle centres over the years,and the best place for them.Antiseptic sound quality.

It doesn't matter whether you have tannoy golds or something average-it isn't a matching problem.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I had one of the early ones just before they added the input (for Video I think) on the front selector switch. I used it with a set of B&W DM4's and a Rega Planar 3 (which I still have). I loved that amp phono stage was great and it worked so well with the DM4's. Wish I still had it. *sad*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Back from the dead! You really do have something against Audiolab to not have posted all this time, but suddenly appear resurrected when someone replies to a thread that has had no replies this year...

I still use one in a second system. Sounds great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts