RSW12 sounds boomy and not much power?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I have been breaking in my subwoofer for the past 4 days and the sound is still not as good as my R370HD, which I was told the RSW12 was better.

It seems I have to crank the bass to like +3db were as my other one was on -0.

I just seen the hospital explosion on TDK and it really sounded boomy, and its in the same place as the old one.

Would a downfire benifit from being in the corner and a forward firing not so?

Any thoughts would be great, as all my setting are the same as well, using phase on my amp and crossover at 80hz.

Thanks again

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Hey

I have been breaking in my subwoofer for the past 4 days and the sound is still not as good as my R370HD, which I was told the RSW12 was better.

It seems I have to crank the bass to like +3db were as my other one was on -0.

I just seen the hospital explosion on TDK and it really sounded boomy, and its in the same place as the old one.

Would a downfire benifit from being in the corner and a forward firing not so?

Any thoughts would be great, as all my setting are the same as well, using phase on my amp and crossover at 80hz.

Thanks again

Sounds like something is very wrong. Not much power and RSW12 just don't marry up. I have my receiver's setting set to -10db for my sub.

A

Anonymous

I found that my REL Quake sub tightened up a lot when I upgraded my CDP and amp. Ultimately the source will dictate the detail and quality of signal and the amp will play a role in the reproduction if the sub is connected using a high level input (slave from speakers).

A

Anonymous

Maybe it just needs some more running in.

Or maybe I need to move it from the back corner wall behind the sofa and hope the kids dont draw on it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Maybe it just needs some more running in.

Or maybe I need to move it from the back corner wall behind the sofa and hope the kids dont draw on it.

I don't think it's either of these reasons. I really think it's a set up problem.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
canada16: Any thoughts would be great, as all my setting are the same as well, using phase on my amp and crossover at 80Hz.

Has the store you bought it from given you any advice?

A

Anonymous

I have not phoned them.

I got the dial at 12oclock and the crossover is done by my amp which is 80hz.

I have the input in the right not the left.

I moved the sub back closer to the wall and I had to turn down the sub volume, so it has gotten quite a bit louder.

Will play some tight bass song tomorrow and see if it sounds boomy.

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
I too have a RSW 12 which I only use for movies. Although it has plenty of power it does not reproduce very deep bass. In some films it can sound boomy.

A

Anonymous

Well the volume and power has increased now, but it still sounds really boomy.

My R370HD sounded a lot more tighter, would this be because going from a 10" to a 12" ?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ashcorn:I too have a RSW 12 which I only use for movies. Although it has plenty of power it does not reproduce very deep bass. In some films it can sound boomy.

How is your crossover set ashcorn?

Also, I've just noticed you have a Revo 3610. I bought one recently but couldn't get any audio via hdmi. How have you got around that problem? I sent mine back.

A

Anonymous

canada16:

I have not phoned them.

I got the dial at 12oclock and the crossover is done by my amp which is 80hz.

I have the input in the right not the left.

I moved the sub back closer to the wall and I had to turn down the sub volume, so it has gotten quite a bit louder.

Will play some tight bass song tomorrow and see if it sounds boomy.

Just a suggestion Canada but believe it or not it is recommended to use the left input on a sub.

Give it a go nothing to loose?

A

Anonymous

It says use the right input in the manual.

Why would the left be recomended?

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Ah well the manual must be right then , musn't it?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lesmor:canada16:

Ah well the manual must be right then , musn't it?

I really don't think it matters which input you use.

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:ashcorn:I too have a RSW 12 which I only use for movies. Although it has plenty of power it does not reproduce very deep bass. In some films it can sound boomy. How is your crossover set ashcorn? Also, I've just noticed you have a Revo 3610. I bought one recently but couldn't get any audio via hdmi. How have you got around that problem? I sent mine back.

Hi Gerrardasnails

I set up the speakers using Audyssey and it's got the fronts as full bad and the center as 40Hz.

Regarding the Revo's HDMI. I downloaded the HDMI audio driver from nvidia's website. The computer did take a lot of tweaking to get it working right.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by 'full bad', but it's very common for auto set-ups to go for 'large' with speakers. However, it's best to change that to 'small' - even for capable floorstanders. That way, the sub deals with LF signals and the other speakers are freed up to do the rest, a much simpler task.

40 Hz for the centre sounds wrong - IMO none of your speakers should be out of the 80 - 100 Hz range.

For what it's worth, I think that boominess is usually caused by poor positioning or difficult room acoustics.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sorreltiger:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'full bad', but it's very common for auto set-ups to go for 'large' with speakers. However, it's best to change that to 'small' - even for capable floorstanders. That way, the sub deals with LF signals and the other speakers are freed up to do the rest, a much simpler task.

40 Hz for the centre sounds wrong - IMO none of your speakers should be out of the 80 - 100 Hz range.

For what it's worth, I think that boominess is usually caused by poor positioning or difficult room acoustics.

Sorreltiger is spot on ashcorn. 40hz is a definite no no. I guarantee if you change your front three to 80hz and your rears to 90hz, you will be amazed. And also as Sorreltiger says, change your speakers to be set as small.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ashcorn:
Gerrardasnails:ashcorn:I too have a RSW 12 which I only use for movies. Although it has plenty of power it does not reproduce very deep bass. In some films it can sound boomy. How is your crossover set ashcorn? Also, I've just noticed you have a Revo 3610. I bought one recently but couldn't get any audio via hdmi. How have you got around that problem? I sent mine back.

Hi Gerrardasnails

I set up the speakers using Audyssey and it's got the fronts as full bad and the center as 40Hz.

Regarding the Revo's HDMI. I downloaded the HDMI audio driver from nvidia's website. The computer did take a lot of tweaking to get it working right.

I downloaded the lastest driver - and it didn't give me audio through hdmi. I then went back to previous drivers and still no good. I went online and it's a well known problem with nvidia soundcards. I was gutted as it's a great little pc.

A

Anonymous

UPDATE:

Did the crawl test and put the subwoofer on the sofa, and it turns out it had the best bass were it was... LOL

Anyway, to set things up a bit better and have a play around I took the spikes out and just used the rubber feet, and then got a old kitchen tile and layed it down.

I then turned the phase off my amp and then set the crossover on the subwoofer instead of the amp.

Put genuwine: pony on as that has some awsome bass, and all I can say about the RSW12 now is.....

No, unfortunately you can't say that - MODS

AWSOME
emotion-3.gif

Nice one guys, got there in the end.

TRENDING THREADS