Rotel RA 1520 or Roksan Kandy K2 pairing with DALI Ikon 6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Would like some advise as regards to which amp should i go for pairing with Dali Ikon 6.

Heard B&W 684, Dali Ikon 6 and Monitor Audio RX6 and RX8. In the end, guess Ikon suits my ears.

Now i don't know which amplifier should i go for. After reading reviews from what'sHIFI, i narrow down to this 2 model stated above.

Purpose: Listening to all kind of music.

Would like to hear any kind of advise or comments.

Thanks in advance.

Happy new year to everyone!

Cheers

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the K2 with the Dali`s and think they are great together,maybe a bit harsh in the treble sometimes but I recently changed to playing my music through a Beresford Dac via laptop/lossless files and this has smoothed the top end out.Can`t comment on the Rotel as I`ve not heard it,if you can audition the amps side by side then do so,in the end only your ears can decide.

A

Anonymous

i can't audit it side by side as the amps are sold by different dealers. That's the difficult part. Is it recommended to use the same CD player as the amp as well?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
dennisk:
i can't audit it side by side as the amps are sold by different dealers. That's the difficult part. Is it recommended to use the same CD player as the amp as well?

If possible take your cdp/source with you and ask the dealer to hook it up for you.Take notes on what you like/dislike about the sound.If you mean should you pair the amp with a cdp from the same company then the obvious answer should be yes but it often happens that kit from different companies suit each other well,the magic word is "synergy" Your dealer should be able to suggest suitable pairings but once again as music/hi-fi is so subjective the rule of thumb is if it sounds good to you then it is good!

I agree with basshound.

I've not heard the Ikon 6 or the new Rotel, but Joelsim used to have, and highly rated, the Ikon 6 with his Arcam A85. Now given the Arcam is a smooth sounding piece of kit, I would suggest the Kandy might be the better option.

A

Anonymous

currently i using a DVD player to play my CD instead of a CD player. Looking at a CD player as well. needs recommendation and advise on pairing with amp.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
dennisk:currently i using a DVD player to play my CD instead of a CD player. Looking at a CD player as well. needs recommendation and advise on pairing with amp.

I would definately add the K2 cd to your shortlist.

A

Anonymous

basshound: I would definately add the K2 cd to your shortlist.

+1

I seriously love the sound of my K2 cdp & amp together. Fanks earlier description of the Kandy's charaterstics is spot on, a very engaging combination.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
dennisk: i can't audit it side by side as the amps are sold by different dealers. That's the difficult part. Is it recommended to use the same CD player as the amp as well?

Then find a dealer who does!!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

hi bro, my location here doesn't have a dealer carrying both different brand. The dealer i looking at carry Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, cyrus, and Roksan... There's no dealer carrying Rotel and Roksan together.

dennisk:

hi bro, my location here doesn't have a dealer carrying both different brand. The dealer i looking at carry Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, cyrus, and Roksan... There's no dealer carrying Rotel and Roksan together.

May I suggest that you shorten your wish list. When it comes to the Dali Ikon 6, I would say that Cyrus wouldn't be a good match. Cambridge can be quite a forward sounding combo - like the Cyrus - and unless you go for the 840 I believe it isn't worth the chasing around. Nad, although good match, the best models are their entry-level ones, and may not get the best from the Dalis.

A

Anonymous

Good! you really gave me a better picture. actually i'm just looking at either the Rotel or Roksan. Heard that Rotel are made in china nowadays. Any one using Rotel RA1520? can share with me how does it sound?

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Good luck on finding a dealer who actually has a Rotel RA 1520 for demo.
I can't find one in the Manchester area which i find a bit odd after the rave review it got in WHF.

A

Anonymous

Can't comment on Roksan but auditioned Rotel RA1520 in Dec 2009 against an Arcam amp of comparable price. To my ears, the Rotel blew away the Arcam - I demo'd with Pink Floyd and Carly Simon for a bit of a contrast. Soundstage on Rotel was fantastic, detail superb, fast and pacy. My preference between the machines wasn't so strong on the female vocal but on PF they were like entirely different tracks when compared back to back. The Arcam was just too warm for my ears and I thought also lacked a bit of pace. Personal choice though and comes down to how forward you like your music and what you're used to hearing. Hi-Fi Corner in Falkirk, Glasgow & Edinburgh were demo'ing the Rotel at that time. I ended up not buying it - couldn't afford it, otherwise I would have snapped it up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts