Hi folks, this is my for post here!

I have a pair of dali ikon 6 speakers which I am looking for an amplifier for. I do not know much about hifi but I have been recommended a Cambridge audio CXA60 which have a internal DAC.

The price for this is around 900 usd in Sweden which goes well with my budget. I wouldn't mind paying less if the Cambridge is more than enough though.

Hope you could help me with some other alternatives or reasons why I should or shouldn't but the Cambridge.

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Daniel

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

To help with suggestions, can you answer the following:

- What is your max budget

- What music do you listen to

- How do you like your music to sound ie. Smooth/detailed, or brighter/more forward.

- How important is a built-in DAC

- Have you heard any amp that you like with the Dalis

- What brands do you have access to

Hi, Thank you for your response.

I will try to answer you your questions the best I can.

My max budget would be 1200 usd I would say but then It must be well motivated.

I listen to all kinds of mainstream music. So pop, acoustic and house etc. To name artists I would say everything from the kooks to Robyn to avicii to first aid kit. Pretty varied.

I'm sorry but I am unsure, maybe more forward?

The built-in DAC is not important.

I have actually listened to the Cambridge amplifier which I liked but the only other amplifier they showed me was a 400 dollar cheaper Heos by Denon so I think it was a unfair comparison.

I have access to quite a lot of brands but I will list a few now and I can come back with more after some research. But the brands I know is:

Denon
Pioneer
Argon
Cambridge audio
Yamaha
Teac
Hegel
Marantz
Dynavox
Harman kardon
Elipson
Nad

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Liden said:
Hi, Thank you for your response.

I will try to answer you your questions the best I can.

My max budget would be 1200 usd I would say but then It must be well motivated.

I listen to all kinds of mainstream music. So pop, acoustic and house etc. To name artists I would say everything from the kooks to Robyn to avicii to first aid kit. Pretty varied.

I'm sorry but I am unsure, maybe more forward?

The built-in DAC is not important.

I have actually listened to the Cambridge amplifier which I liked but the only other amplifier they showed me was a 400 dollar cheaper Heos by Denon so I think it was a unfair comparison.

I have access to quite a lot of brands but I will list a few now and I can come back with more after some research. But the brands I know is:

Denon Pioneer Argon Cambridge audio Yamaha Teac Hegel Marantz Dynavox Harman kardon Elipson Nad

By forward, I mean less smooth/refined and more analytical, while being exciting.....some would say, less involving; others would say more neutral.

From your list, the stand out brand imo, is Hegel.

Other brands (which you haven't listed) that I like are - Arcam (A19), Creek (Evo 50A), Croft, Peachtree, Rega (Elex-R), Musical Fidelity (M3si) and Electrocompaniet (Ex-dem PI-1).

By your explaination I would say smooth/detailed but I have to be quite honest with you and say that I'm not 100 percent certained with what you mean. It might be my lack in english or my lack of sound listening that make me unable to imagine what you are trying to explain.

The only one you listed that was sold in Sweden still within my budget was the Arcam A19, which could be bought for around 1100 usd. Would you say this one is better than Cambridge audio CXA60? If so why?

Thank you for your help.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Liden said:
By your explaination I would say smooth/detailed but I have to be quite honest with you and say that I'm not 100 percent certained with what you mean. It might be my lack in english or my lack of sound listening that make me unable to imagine what you are trying to explain.

The only one you listed that was sold in Sweden still within my budget was the Arcam A19, which could be bought for around 1100 usd. Would you say this one is better than Cambridge audio CXA60? If so why?

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, nobody on here can tell you what is "better for you", as taste in sound is as personal as what art you like, or your preference in clothes.

IMO. The Arcam veers towards smooth/detailed and CA towards clean and neutral. You will have to hear both with your Dalis to know what you should go with. A system works best as a "team", rather than a bunch of "individuals" ie. where it's greater than the sum of its parts.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I believe the Abrahamsen is well worth checking out....it's basically an Electrocompaniet, but much better value. From the feedback its received, it's smooth, powerful, musical and detailed...just like Electro amps of old. This isn't surprising, as it's the same designer.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Abrahamsen amps are built and shipped from Sweden, although they are a Norwegian company. I was told this by Abrahamsen themselves when mine was shipped. Its something to do with being in the EU and import tax.

+1 for Abrahamsen, an excellent choice, as good as many amps that cost a lot more.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep built in Sweden, though a Norwegian company, free shipping to Sweden so for you an absolute bargin, missing out dealer, retailer margins. Think of it as a £2500 amp for £650 it's that good.

Thank you alot for your replies, I will definitely check out the Abrahamsen now. After som research it seems they are actually built in the same city i live in. Though I'm quite surprised that they are being sold so cheaply if what you guys say is true. It might also be a problem trying them with my Dali speakers before making a purchase.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Daniel Liden said:
Thank you alot for your replies, I will definitely check out the Abrahamsen now. After som research it seems they are actually built in the same city i live in. Though I'm quite surprised that they are being sold so cheaply if what you guys say is true. It might also be a problem trying them with my Dali speakers before making a purchase.

If they are built in your city I would contact them, they may have a demo one you can try out at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts