Room correction for my setup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Very messy to read from waterfall. Much easier to analyse and compare with RT60 tab especially as you can set it to view 1/3 octave bands.

Newlash I hope you don't mind this on your thread *sorry2*

insider9

Haha, now you're showing off :) I can't squeeze in more in my room unless I tell my wife we're sleeping downstairs on a sofa from now on.

If I wanted to read off decay times not from RT60 tab I guess Spectrogram would be better than Waterfall.

But yes you're right I can do better and I should. Nothing like some motivation :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Excellent news Newlash, so happy for you. Regardless of how much cash we may throw at our systems it is the time and effort put into speaker placement that brings the biggest rewards. It took me about a month of continual tweaking before I reached my positioning sweetspot, not ideal but a satisfactory balance of sonics vs a functioning lounge. Now kick back and go feed your speakers with some decent full-fat recordings and enjoy my friend *yahoo* Plus get your mates round and hopefully watch their jaws drop in amazement *biggrin*

Apologies if I came across a little harsh in my posts, I was looking at your system and wondering why you weren't hearing the beauty it is undoubtedly capable of reproducing... Thankfully and hopefully you have now found it.

I haven't quit on room correction yet as I see this as the cherry on the cake... but I will only pursue it when time permits and I can give it my undivided attention, so to that end the UMIK-1 is a keeper.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I'm getting old (take the maybe out) but I have never had a system that I carefully put together that I couldn't get to sound to my liking, no matter where I lived.

What's with all this fancy DSP and whathaveyounot?

Reading some of the reports of folks that use these sometimes costly 'solutions' they often don't work as expected and on many occasions just create other problems.

Opening or closing a door probably does the same job.

I am old :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe see if you can get a good demo and have a listen to see for yourself

If you have a decent set of headphones I demonstrated the difference in this video

insider9

Like anything it needs to be used correctly. I agree it's a vastly misunderstood subject. And it's not just by those who refuse to use it. There are also many who believe it can do more than it's capable of. It definitely isn't a substitute for acoustic room treatment but could easily improve any system (if you're using FIR filtering)

Feel free to come in and we can do A/B of uncorrected vs corrected room response.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Excellent news Newlash, so happy for you. Regardless of how much cash we may throw at our systems it is the time and effort put into speaker placement that brings the biggest rewards. It took me about a month of continual tweaking before I reached my positioning sweetspot, not ideal but a satisfactory balance of sonics vs a functioning lounge. Now kick back and go feed your speakers with some decent full-fat recordings and enjoy my friend *yahoo* Plus get your mates round and hopefully watch their jaws drop in amazement *biggrin*

Apologies if I came across a little harsh in my posts, I was looking at your system and wondering why you weren't hearing the beauty it is undoubtedly capable of reproducing... Thankfully and hopefully you have now found it.

I haven't quit on room correction yet as I see this as the cherry on the cake... but I will only pursue it when time permits and I can give it my undivided attention, so to that end the UMIK-1 is a keeper. 

No you weren't harsh. You just echoed my own doubts till yesterday. Iam glad I can put them to rest now.

In the new position the sound has opened up. Now that the speakers position has been fixed. Iam now experimenting with my listening position and toe in. Hopefully will optimise everything by tonight :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Very messy to read from waterfall. Much easier to analyse and compare with RT60 tab especially as you can set it to view 1/3 octave bands.

Newlash I hope you don't mind this on your thread *sorry2*

Iam finding this discussion very interesting. I also remember, you had advised me to get the Umik-1 once in the past too.

So please go ahead. Now that iam happy with my sound. I would be interested in the small things that give audible benefits. ( Will be treading into snake oil territory )

And will start with room correction first :)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Reading some of the reports of folks that use these sometimes costly 'solutions' they often don't work as expected and on many occasions just create other problems.

Opening or closing a door probably does the same job.

I am old :)

DM you are correct on all the above, and I am old too :) 95% of the time my EQ is switched out. I use it to get rid of a midrange issue which is down to the room, and for headphone use. My lady will not entertain any kind of room treatment of any size shape or colour and that's that so the Behringer stays. It's OTT for what I need and it has known issues, which is I assume why insider9 said avoid, but I don't use those modes. I could probably live without it but when it makes a mess sound sweet I need it.. for 5% of the time!

insider9

paulkebab said:
It's OTT for what I need and it has known issues, which is I assume why insider9 said avoid, but I don't use those modes.
I didn't say that about all room correction. What I meant was that it is not substitute for acoustic room treatment and there are limitations that are important to understand.

Unless you're referring to graphic EQ kind these that can only do amplitude and not phase then yes, I'd avoid these. You definitely need proper FIR based DSP if you're going to use one at all.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
insider9 you are correct but I was referring to the Behringer. In my position it is the only option, unfortunately, and I did start to get into the technicalities of it all. All I probably need ( and pretty much what the DEQ is being used as ) is a bandstop filter, albeit in a parametric mode, a more eloquent solution would be better but this would cost significantly more. I nearly fainted at the price of an Accuphase unit! Basically it does what I want at a very good price, and 'she's' happy too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts