Room 101

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
See exactly that here in our village, after all, maybe once every few years, we see nearly an inch of snow…
We're located in the Surrey hills, North Downs so we tend to erratic weather, as seen in this pic I took.

Strange thing is we live on the edge of a large common, and we have our own microclimate from the village high street half a mile away.
20230321_015953.jpg20230321_015927.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDL and Al ears
My neighbour, who leaves her bin out on the street for days. Everyone else around here puts theirs away pronto, but hers can still be out four or five days (occasionally seven) after they've been emptied. Occasionally my patience wears thin and I move it into the middle of her driveway.

Not sure it's worth falling out over, but it's tempting sometimes...

Gray

My neighbour, who leaves her bin out on the street for days. Everyone else around here puts theirs away pronto, but hers can still be out four or five days (occasionally seven) after they've been emptied. Occasionally my patience wears thin and I move it into the middle of her driveway.

Not sure it's worth falling out over, but it's tempting sometimes...
If it's an empty bin, try not to let it bother you (easy to say).
Worse, where only bags are involved, is when people put them out the evening before....for foxes to tear to shreds.
That's why there's a 'not before 7a.m. on collection day' rule - meaning that you're effectively fly-tipping if earlier.

If it's an empty bin, try not to let it bother you (easy to say).
I know what you mean, and I do try. It's just that it's been going on for years, and is effectively left outside my house, not hers, as there's a bit of shared driveway.

I wouldn't mind so much, but she's the prissy type and we're as certain as we can be that if the roles were reversed, she'd be grumbling.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I know what you mean, and I do try. It's just that it's been going on for years, and is effectively left outside my house, not hers, as there's a bit of shared driveway.

I wouldn't mind so much, but she's the prissy type and we're as certain as we can be that if the roles were reversed, she'd be grumbling.
It would be a shame if someone were to silently push her bin 100 yards down the road and leave it there at 3am 😉

...though more of a shame if you're caught doing it on CCTV 😆

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Most of the energy companies, though not for the obvious reasons. We're with edf at present, and like so many of the others seem to want to hinder your budget.

I'd really like to pay the same each month, every month. Not a vast sum (too high anyway) for the winter months followed by a massively smaller one (not enough, by my reckoning) in the summer ones. We'd been able to do that with another supplier in the past, but no longer, it seems.

Friesiansam

Male jewellery.
I was once told, "You wouldn't understand".
He was right about that.
Agreed. I rarely wear a single ring. To see men with big chains around their necks, Argos specials (other discount jewellery stores are available).

Way too blingy.
I just wear a wedding ring, nothing blingy, just a simple band. It's not even precious metal, it's tungsten carbide, so I can wear it all the time without it ever getting scratched.

Most have gone bankrupt; over 40 and counting.
And edf have declined my request to pay a more realistic sum for the next six months, having done the same over the last six - meaning I'll end up having to stump up a sum at the end. I'll still be paying the same amount into the DDM account so it' snot a problem, but why offer the facility to amend your payments if they won't let you do so?

WayneKerr

Most of the energy companies, though not for the obvious reasons. We're with edf at present, and like so many of the others seem to want to hinder your budget.

I'd really like to pay the same each month, every month. Not a vast sum (too high anyway) for the winter months followed by a massively smaller one (not enough, by my reckoning) in the summer ones. We'd been able to do that with another supplier in the past, but no longer, it seems.
I'm with British Gas and hoping they'll let me set my own over-payment DD when I finish my current fixed plan at the end of June.

Gray

Back for another well deserved mention comes the trend for modern, over-bright headlights.
Much of the time, I'm driving with dipped rearview mirror - not ideal.
As for oncoming dazzle....it horrifies me to admit that there are times when, if someone stepped into the road, I wouldn't know.

Didn't you used to have to have yellow filters on headlights to drive in some countries?
What on earth do those countries think of the dangerous new breed of headlights?

What with them and 🤬 potholes.....

Reactions: plastic penguin

WayneKerr

Back for another well deserved mention comes the trend for modern, over-bright headlights.
As for oncoming dazzle....it horrifies me to admit that there are times when, if someone stepped into the road, I wouldn't know.

Didn't you used to have to have yellow filters on headlights to drive in some countries?
What on earth do those countries think of the dangerous new breed of headlights?

Have to agree with everything you say Gray. Why they have to be so bright baffles me and it's nothing to do with poor alignment. Unless your car is fitted with similar lights then you're in trouble on unlit roads if a pedestrian is walking in the road on your side. I have been similarly blinded by them and am vision less for a period of time afterwards.

As others have said above I seldom do night-driving now... this is one of the reasons.

Think the French used to demand yellow headlights but the EU stopped it in 1993.

Oh yes, the dazzle is horrendous. Originally it was mainly the high end German marques that had these Xenon lights, now every modern car seems to have them.

I had a 1986 Renault 5, it had clear headlights but, yellow foglights. I lived on The Mendips back then which are very prone to fog and, yellow lights were briliant.
Funny the yellow headlights are mentioned. My dad, back in the day when he had a Hillman Hunter GLS, if there was any mention of fog he'd put yellow cellophane over the lights.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts