Roksan Kandy

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Stupid me but I've just bought a Roksan L3 and Mk 3 CD without auditioning - nobody within 100 miles of me had one in stock and as I am impatient and trust What Hi Fi, thought "what the heck". I have to say that its a bit of a let down. I have bi-wired the amp with QED silver XT to my existing Kef Q1s. Its not bassy enough for me and a little bright/harsh at the top - although when I play some CDs (for instance Antony & the Johnsons it's brilliant, but most of my taste is for rock). I did intend upgrading my speakers anyway but does anybody have any opinions on what speakers I should go for under £500 or should I just put it down to a bad judgement and flog it all on Ebay? Please, I don't want to be slaughtered for not auditioning first - I know I was stupid!!!!! But any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

A

Anonymous

Keep the CD player, ditch the speakers!!

The first thing i noticed when i hooked up my kandy cdp was the huge boost in bass and i would never had said that the kandy could be accused of being to thin in this area. Admittedly it can be bright if parterned with certain kit but i would look at the rest of your system.

What amp are you using etc.?

matthewpiano

Don't rush into anything else.

Step 1: Give your new gear time to run-in. It could take quite a while for it to reach its very best capabilities.

Step 2: Investigate possible new speakers and arrange to take your Roksan gear into the dealership so that you can audition them with your equipment.

Step 3: BEFORE spending any money on speakers, make sure that something really sounds right to you with the Roksan gear. If you try a few different speakers and don't get the right sound, seek the dealer's advice on trying alternative amps and CD players but only changing one component at a time and giving yourself time to make full judgements. You may well find that you can put together something that sounds good to you using at least one of the Roksan components. One-make combos rarely hit the spot - I've found mix and match often works much better.

PS you don't deserve to be slaughtered. We've all been there!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]

PS you don't deserve to be slaughtered. We've all been there!!!
[/quote]

Haha, indeed we have. I bought speakers online once because they were at such a good price. Mistakes on a postcard...

A

Anonymous

Although i have not heard the 2 Roksans together previous WHSAV tests have found them fantastic but bright if partenered with the wrong speakers. You will notice a far better and probably less "bright" sound once the kit has run in but i think the bass you are looking for will never be produced by the Q1s simply because of the lack of their size.

I tested iQ5s and thought they sounded thin hence the iQ7s i have now. The best advice has got to be an extended demo with the roksan set up and various speakers. The roksan pairing should suit your music taste perfectly though.

Persevere and dont do anything hasty!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I auditioned the Roksan AMP and CD player with B&W 684's and the 683's at the weekend and the amp was great, the CD player let the system down to me

Then went to audition a Cyrus 8 CD player with the Roksan amp and B&W speakers and there was a vast improvement.

Over all though the system still sounded v good and the speakers certainly gave out heck of alot of bass, especially the 683's but these are £900 new

I could suggest going for some B&W 603's or the 604's that are currently on Ebay. Both are fantastic sounding speakers and would really suit the Roksan amp down to a tee.

As someone said above though, let the CD player and amp run in first as all amps/CD players sound very different when first plugged in and played.

I still think the KEF speakers are letting the system down though!

A

Anonymous

I too recommend you let the new stuff run in first , before jumping to something else you'll regret.

I have recently purchased the Kandy L3 amp, and this is a fantastic bit of kit with my 6 yr old B&W 603 S3 floor standers (amazin bass) and 7 yr old Arcam CD72T player.

I have auditioned over the years Cyrus and Arcam amps, but the Roksan has so much grunt which is just perfect with my rock and heavy metal collection.

To be honest as What Hi-Fi says this is a great all rounder amp, most amps are good at one or particalur types of music, but the Roksan does them all !

A

Anonymous

Thanks to those who replied.I'm gojng to run it in for a few weeks to see how it gets on. But the wench is about to lynch me though ...."If I hear another song I'm going to strangle you" she cackles trying to hear Coronation Street or some other useless article...

A

Anonymous

...at least you're not having to put the XFactor through your kit. Might as well buy an Audi A4 3.0TDi and run it on used chip fat...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]...at least you're not having to put the XFactor through your kit. Might as well buy an Audi A4 3.0TDi and run it on used chip fat...[/quote]

Quality comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

I might get killed on here for this but....

I had a similar problem with my Cyrus & Epos kit (the thread's recent). Cables can be an issue but I was advised to put the jumpers back on the speakers so they were no-longer bi-wired and the difference was incredible. The bass was much more impressive and the nasty artificial treble became perfect. I highly recommend you try this as it costs nothing and takes hardly any time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]Cables can be an issue but I was advised to put the jumpers back on the speakers so they were no-longer bi-wired and the difference was incredible. [/quote]

Cheers for the advice superjimbo. I gave that a go but the single wires sounded a little less focused than the bi-wire. Its actually the first time I've tried bi-wiring and only did it because I got the Silver XT free with the amp and I already had some. Anyway, after a few days the sound does seem to have improved - but I don't know if this is because the kit is tightening up, or my ears are becoming used to the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts