Roksan Caspian MK2 CD player

GeirOve

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
I have a chance to purchase the Roksan CD player with 40 prosent off retail price. (1100-1200 pounds).
Apart from a very favourable review in this mag there is little info on the player.
Is it wise to purchase a player who is this old, or would I benefit from buying a newer player? I'm thinking mostly about the DAC, and how it has developed the last ten years.
What's your impression with this CDP.

It will play with Gato audio pre and monoblocks, on Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand

Dom

What I can say is the Caspian M2 CDP is of high quality and the DAC will be amazing, try it and if its not to your liking return it or sell it on to somebody else who would cherish it.

Last edited:
As you need a CD player the question is effectively what is the best I can get for my budget. For £1100 there are some alternatives, but none that would obviously be better.

Three years ago I used the Caspian CD for several hours when auditioning speakers at my dealer. It loads and starts very swiftly, far faster than my Marantz. The mechanism is a bit noisy when opening and closing. But it sounded great and I like the slightly unusual looks. I seriously considered one but found my Marantz used and barely a year old. As I wanted SACD too, which Roksan won’t play, it was an easy choice.

In my view the DAC age is irrelevant as CD replay was mastered years ago. Newer DACs might be suitable for higher resolution streaming, but make very little difference to CD. Some brands, like Naim, deliberately fit older and superseded DACs for their sound.

GeirOve

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback guys! I'm happy with my system, for now 😉😂 It has very good midrange Wich I like, and I hope this player will be on the analog side. And I will compare it to Lumin D2
Actually I got a demo player on the way for home trial.
It might be a stupid question, but I don't have any experience with digital players. 7 years are probably my DAC in the pre aswell.
I'm just looking into getting some CDs because allot of vinyl I cant.

GeirOve

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
Thank you Nopiano, you see that's the knowledge I don't have. But makes good sense. I originally wanted SACD too, but the Ruby Wich I can get is 2500 used. So it's a difference. The only thing is I can imagine Marantz maybe are easier to sell

Thank you Nopiano, you see that's the knowledge I don't have. But makes good sense. I originally wanted SACD too, but the Ruby Wich I can get is 2500 used. So it's a difference. The only thing is I can imagine Marantz maybe are easier to sell
Marantz are higher volume world sales for sure, so most countries have used models. An alternative for SACD is an Oppo 105 or 205 if you can find one. (I’ve also got a 95, which was the Hifi model originally)

Where are you based?

jonbhoy67

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I have experience with both Primare and Roksan, though admittedly, with the older Primare CD22. I upgraded from this to the Roksan Caspian m2 and the improvement was monumental. I liked the Primare sound when I had it (along with the i22 amp) but the Roksan was better in every area.

I realise the CD35 or 32 is a level up from the CD22 but it's food for thought.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
I too considered something similar a while back. I was debating as to whether update my outboard dac or buy a used Roksan cd player. In the end switched out the meridian 263 Dac for the denafrips ares ii and still used my Meridian 200 transport which was great, then the meridian transport died so ended up purchasing the Audiolab 6000cdt, and I love it. Just another possible option within your budget. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts